Sargent or Corbin Solo

I had a Russel on my last st and it was great for me but I didn’t do any long rides with jt. I have a Sergeant seat now and while it’s comfortable my butt hurts after 40 miles. Not real bad but enough to stand up on the pegs for a few seconds

I have a corbin classic solo on one Harley and it is nice. Wife just doesn’t like the pillion. I have a russel on my other Harley as she likes that

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
Spend the money on a Russell. It's made to fit you specifically. I've been riding on mine for over 140,000 miles, and I'd spend the money again in a heartbeat. I've had a Corbin and a Sargent, albeit on other bikes, and they're not as comfortable.

OP
OP
Jammin'John
So far it seems that the Sargent is a nice generic seat. It works well for many people. It looks very nice. When you sell your bike you can put the stock seat back on and sell the Sargent.

The Russell is a reasonably priced Custom seat. It works well for most who buy it. It looks Goofy but Serious. When you sell your bike it goes with it.

The Sargent is on sale now. Hard to pass up. The Russell is never on sale.

I'm leaning toward the Russell since I usually don't sell my bikes but instead run the wheels off of them and I like to ride 300 mile afternoons a lot.

With Covid I find myself NOT going to music events ( I'm a player/singer ) but riding instead. I usually run out of $$$ before I run out of enthusiasm !

I don't go on trips but can appreciate a quality and comfortable seat nonetheless !

My recently deceased Stratoliner has a Diamond seat. It was good but not great. I had to use an AirHawk pad to ride far.

My deceased Valkyrie had a Diamond and it was Fantastic. They had more real estate to work with on the Valkyrie so the seat was a HUGE tractor seat.

My deceased Triumph had a Mustang and I liked it a lot.IMG_3613.JPGIMG_4724.JPGIMG_4278.JPG1st2011ride 033.JPG

My current Vulcan 2000LT has a Mustang, a great generic, and I like it a LOT. They don't make one for the ST though.

JJ

woodybelle

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300
I paid around $350 for my Bill Mayer seat in 2007, I can't believe how much they have gone up. They say around $900 for an ST on the website.

Bike
2012 ST1300A
I think it depends on the size of your a$$! If you are wide through the hips, the Russell definitely provides extra support for what might be hanging over the Sargent seat. if you're narrow, the Sargent seat provides plenty of support for your hips. The only way to know for sure is to try one. There are so many guys on this website that have all the different brand seats, if someone in my area wanted to swing by and use it for a day, feel free to contact me. The guys with the Russell might hesitate if they sent in their stock seat to be converted, especially if they ride everyday. I still have my stock seat that I can switch out for a day.

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
I won't be getting one of those. So far I'm leaning toward a Russell.

JJ
You will have to go with what your wallet and preference will let you try. Russel are a good quality seat , as are many of the others mentioned. No seat works well for everyone. The Russel didn't work for me. Being so far away from them is a definite negative also.
Good luck....

45536C0E-3506-4673-848C-56326B818DEC.jpegDA5E14CE-72A2-4AED-8061-3D8E0E6CFC64.jpegI wish I had kept the seat when I sold the bike. I like the backrest on the Russel. I may end up getting another if I decide to take any long rides. I did do ride in appointments for the Honda and the Harley seat.Sorry about the pics. They are all I have on my phone of the seat and not very good description at that. Wanted to show the backrest

Ryan_B

Site Supporter
Bike
2016 Honda ST1300PA
I just got mine earlier this month, it was also listed as a 2016 ST1300PAG. Not sure why there is a 'g' in the model.

I do want to ask the group, do these police models accept a standard seat? I was under the impression that you either had to convert the subframe and add a seat release or modify your seat to add the bar bracket.

Thanks!
Ryan

OP
OP
Jammin'John
The traditional two-up motorcycle seat is replaced with an adjustable three-position dual-density solo seat to allow for additional storage space.
Part of the description of the Police seat. I wonder if that also describes the stock seat.

The Honda ST1300P ABS is fitted with a patrol speedometer, which provides graduated indicated speed in increments of just 2 mph above 10 mph for accurate speed assessment.
Handlebars are raised 25mm for increased rider comfort and the width is increased 13.5mm for added leverage to compensate for the additional weight a police bike bears while also aiding in extreme slow-speed maneuvering.
To accommodate those flashing lights that send dread through us when seen in the rear-view mirror, the police STs have specialized brackets to accommodate additional lights, siren, antenna, and radio/electronic gear. The electronics are kept safe and dry under a rear component cover.

JJ

OP
OP
Jammin'John
I just got mine earlier this month, it was also listed as a 2016 ST1300PAG. Not sure why there is a 'g' in the model.

I do want to ask the group, do these police models accept a standard seat? I was under the impression that you either had to convert the subframe and add a seat release or modify your seat to add the bar bracket.

Thanks!
Ryan
Sargent says the stock seat dimensions are the same as cop bike.

JJ

OP
OP
Jammin'John
The Russell seat is taller than the stock seat which is already too tall.
Jay,the boss there,says he can make a "sport" seat that is the same height as stock but would be a little easier to reach the ground from.
He said it would be less comfortable than his regular seat. Good for 300 to 500 mile days instead of 1,000 mile days.
Fine with me. My typical ride is 200 to 300 mile days. Many of them.
He's already booked most of February !

JJ

Ryan_B

Site Supporter
Bike
2016 Honda ST1300PA
Hi JJ,
I believe they are the same dimensions, however they attach differently if I remember the "civilian" model had a bar on the driver seat that fitted into the passenger seat. The passenger seat was actually latched in place to hold them both down. Just looking at mine and this random picture from an ebay listing, they are different, but possibly interchangeable? Worth mentioning if you are having a seat made. I am sure you are not the first!

eBay picture:
Seat.jpg

Mine:
On seat bracket.jpg
Seat on.jpg

Good luck, I am curious what you end up with.
Ryan

Jambriwal

2016 ST1300PA
Bike
2016 ST1300 PA
Hi JJ,
I believe they are the same dimensions, however they attach differently if I remember the "civilian" model had a bar on the driver seat that fitted into the passenger seat. The passenger seat was actually latched in place to hold them both down. Just looking at mine and this random picture from an ebay listing, they are different, but possibly interchangeable? Worth mentioning if you are having a seat made. I am sure you are not the first!

eBay picture:
Seat.jpg

Mine:
On seat bracket.jpg
Seat on.jpg

Good luck, I am curious what you end up with.
Ryan
Thanks for the post with pictures. One more peice to the puzzle in case i decide to convert mine to civillian with a dual seat. Not really necessary at this time since i ride solo but the hump precludes putting another bag on the back for traveling.

OP
OP
Jammin'John
Thanks for the post with pictures. One more peice to the puzzle in case i decide to convert mine to civillian with a dual seat. Not really necessary at this time since i ride solo but the hump precludes putting another bag on the back for traveling.
Can't you take the cover off behind your seat and mount a soft bag there ?

JJ

Bike
2005 st-1300
45536C0E-3506-4673-848C-56326B818DEC.jpegDA5E14CE-72A2-4AED-8061-3D8E0E6CFC64.jpegI wish I had kept the seat when I sold the bike. I like the backrest on the Russel. I may end up getting another if I decide to take any long rides. I did do ride in appointments for the Honda and the Harley seat.Sorry about the pics. They are all I have on my phone of the seat and not very good description at that. Wanted to show the backrest
Jammin John, I love that bicycle set up. Did you post anything about how you did that? I would love to get a setup just like that.

Top Bottom