saw my first BMW k1600glt on the road

STArnie13

R.I.P. - 2020/07/03
Rest In Peace
On i70 east of green river,Utah one was heading east as I was going west today. It looked good but I still like the st better. Watch the bikes on the road you might get to see one soon.

I saw a GTL at the Exxon gas station in Tellico Plains, TN during Campstoc but honestly what I first saw at the pump that day was a 2012 Goldwing and when the rider took off her helmet I thought "What an attractive woman". When I allowed my eye to wander to her companion's bike I spied the triple exhaust outlet of the left pipe. I walked over to admire the new bikes and after a moment I recognized she was someone I had seen in a magazine. No, not that one. After a moment of small talk about the two new bikes I said as much and she said yes, they were up on area roads doing a comparison for Motorcyclist magazine. I did not get her name but I am pretty sure it was Donya Carlson.

Saw one in Monaco during my" European adventures"....nice looking bike. I must be getting old but all the new technology scares me....as to what the cost would be if it goes wrong. No way the new bike would be fixed at the side of the road. Still in love with my ST. Joe

Saw one yesterday in Pomfret, CT at the Vanilla Bean. Checked it out but nobody came around so I could talk to them about it.

I'm not saying any names... but an ST-Owner test rode one this weekend... and put up his ST as a trade for a pre-order....

I saw my first one other than the one at the MC show at a local bike night in North Jersey. It is a nice bike. As I have said before if Honda doesn't come up with a sport tourer by the time mine hits 150k I may be on a BMW. But there is still time for that as I am only just over 100K so I have about 49k miles at least left on my ST.

I saw my first one other than the one at the MC show at a local bike night in North Jersey. It is a nice bike. As I have said before if Honda doesn't come up with a sport tourer by the time mine hits 150k I may be on a BMW. But there is still time for that as I am only just over 100K so I have about 49k miles at least left on my ST.

Agree with you on that, Steve. I've actually convinced myself already that I'm on my last Honda. Their line of cars and motorcycles seems sort of "uninspired" to me lately.

Like you, I agree that they have time to win me over again, and I sure do love riding my ST, but they'll need to really notch it up to keep me as a customer.

I really DO like the Honda lawnmower I bought, though.

I've been on 3 K16 bikes and must say I hated them. There is no denying the motor is nice but the whole drive train and suspension was lacking. The ST13 is a much, much better ride. The whole motor/drivetrain/suspension is smooth and tight. Granted it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the BMW but with the K16 out there the 3rd gen ST should even that out some.

I'm currently on a F800ST, love that bike but am awaiting the 3rd gen ST Honda.:04biker::)

Finally saw one in person parked in front of the grocery store. Looked at it on the way in but couldn't find anyone inside who seemed to be a rider to talk to about it.

Nice shade of red.

Not as big as I was expecting. That's probably good for how it rides, less good for loading it for a trip.

If you stripped off all the BMW roundels (and the bazillion places where BMW is cast or engraved into metal parts) there'd be no doubt that it's a BMW, which is a downer for me as I do not care for the design aesthetic of BMW bikes. BMW designs some gorgeous cars but their bikes are not in the same league. The K16 has a face only a mother could love. If I was going to pay that much for a motorcycle I'd want it to look gorgeous, not industrial.

Lots of bells and whistles, some of which I'd like (heated grips and seat, cruise).

I still want to ride one.

At this point if I went out to buy at BMW, I'd get an RT. Too bad you can't get one with a V4. (Oh, wait...)

I saw pictures of the first one totaled in the BMWLT site. The owner lost it on some railroad crossing doing an SS1000. The owner seemed more unhappy that it happened at 997 miles into the run than it was totaled. I hope he had good insurance.

BMW designs some gorgeous cars but their bikes are not in the same league. The K16 has a face only a mother could love. If I was going to pay that much for a motorcycle I'd want it to look gorgeous, not industrial.

Funny as most auto journalists would tend to see the flip of your observation... with the Bangle era not a much loved period for the four wheel division and the David Robb design aesthetic has shown to produce some of Motorrad's most successful and admired designs (GSA, 1150RT, 1100s, K1200s, new S1000RR, K1200LT, F800GS and ST to name just a few). In my biased opinion, BMW puts much more thought into the design of their bikes than most others, save for the Italians. All other manufacturers just have a model or two that looks inspired... the rest of the lineup are just more of the same, year in and year out.

Chris, I'd agree that BMW appears to put thought into the design of their bikes, I just don't like how most of them look. The BMW I think is most pleasing to look at is the RT (perhaps you agree ;) ) and that's another new BMW I'd like to ride. I have been reading reviews that suggest the new valve train design has addressed much of the engine vibration that was the deal killer on the 1150 I test rode in 2002 and which was still bothersome on the 1200 I tested in 2005. I've had three motorcycles with twins so two cylinders isn't the issue.

Back to designs, BMW bikes look to me as though they are engineered but not designed, as though form follows function rather than equates with it. The new K16's peg the ho-hum meter for me. They may be great performers (still waiting for a ride) but lookers they're not. Others may disagree...eye of the beholder.

In another train of thought this month's Bike magazine has an in-depth test of the K1600GT, not the press release rides they gave in South Africa, but alot of miles under several riders on all kinds of roads. For Petes sake they rode it 1000 miles in 24 hours in one section. It is the King of the Hill. Anyway, in one section they reviewed what it is like to tote a passenger on it. For comparison they choose non-other than our beloved ST1300 as the best passenger toter to date. I thought that was a nice compliment paid to the nearly decade-old ST1300.

Chris, I'd agree that BMW appears to put thought into the design of their bikes, I just don't like how most of them look. The BMW I think is most pleasing to look at is the RT (perhaps you agree ;) ) and that's another new BMW I'd like to ride. I have been reading reviews that suggest the new valve train design has addressed much of the engine vibration that was the deal killer on the 1150 I test rode in 2002 and which was still bothersome on the 1200 I tested in 2005. I've had three motorcycles with twins so two cylinders isn't the issue.

Back to designs, BMW bikes look to me as though they are engineered but not designed, as though form follows function rather than equates with it. The new K16's peg the ho-hum meter for me. They may be great performers (still waiting for a ride) but lookers they're not. Others may disagree...eye of the beholder.
I have ridden a DOHC R1200RT and it hasn't solved the vibration problem. When I got off it an older 12RT owner came up gushing about how much smoother the DOHC motor is. Well, if you are used to a smooth inline 4 or our V4 the DOHC Camhead has not solved the vibration problem unless you ride something more vibratory, like a older model Hexhead, Oilhead, or Airhead, then it is a degree smoother. There is a torque couple with the boxer's offset cylinders (the jugs are staggered slightly if you hadn't noticed) that is always going to be there. Pull in the clutch when rolling to a stop and the shaking at idle may make you think it lost a cylinder. :D

The 2010 and new Camheads are not significantly smoother if you are used to the inline and v4 bikes... just isn't going to happen with an opposed twin. Now, the torque is much improved... more low end grunt... I have ridden several newer RTs and it is indeed apparent that the DOHC is a worthy upgrade over the 2005-2009 Hexheads. I just don't see me upgrading to it... I will be heading right over to the K1600GT in a couple of years, three at the outset... by then, I will have well over 100K on the 06 RT.

I'm currently on a F800ST, love that bike but am awaiting the 3rd gen ST Honda.

Seems like we have been waiting for years I am only willing to wait so long. Once my ST hits 150K I wll start looking Ihope Honda has something out to replace the ST by then.

Back
Top Bottom