Screen motor

Hi guys.

So I just purchased a st1300 as an upgrade for my st1100 but the power screen doesn't work, I've read a few forums and have had a look at it, what I do know is that when I press the button to raise or lower the screen, I can hear a buzzing sound but nothing doe anything, so my question is, could this be a broken motor or could it be stripped gears.
As a further note I can raise and lower the screen by pulling or pushing it up or down, so I'm suspecting broken motor and stripped gears ??

All advice welcome.

Cheers Mark

Bike
R1200rt
Hi guys.

So I just purchased a st1300 as an upgrade for my st1100 but the power screen doesn't work, I've read a few forums and have had a look at it, what I do know is that when I press the button to raise or lower the screen, I can hear a buzzing sound but nothing doe anything, so my question is, could this be a broken motor or could it be stripped gears.
As a further note I can raise and lower the screen by pulling or pushing it up or down, so I'm suspecting broken motor and stripped gears ??

All advice welcome.

Cheers Mark
gears. search site someone is making and selling aluminum gears not plastic.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Cheers buddy, I'm in UK does that make a difference?
Bike-Quip is a UK company. Shipping should be cheap for you. I don't know if they are close to you. If so, you can pick it up.

I don't recommend purchasing anything until you get in there and see what the problem actually is. History says that it is most probably damaged gear and cables, but not always.

Bike
2010 ST1300
On this side of the pond, the whole mechanism to raise and lower the windshield is around $400 (last I looked - sometime this past summer). The bike-quip gear and cables will run you around half of that (with a guess for shipping), so if your motor and relays are good, you might as well opt for the repair. Whichever way you go (new or repair) the fairing pieces have to be removed - that is a given. If you repair, you'll need to strip down, clean, and lube the whole assembly as well as replace the gear and cables. If the bike was dropped and the windshield hit (it happens) one rail might be bent or one of the sliders (aka dogs) might be broken. If this is the case, I'd consider new over the repair.

Bike
07 ST
While surfing the web I found a 3D print file for the windshield gear. I can't remember the site where I got it. Because it's a *.stl extension it won't post here. Don't know if it really works, but the picture looks good. If anyone wants to play with it PM me with an email address and I'll send it to you. I also have a file for a throttle lock. Had a friend print that for me. Fit perfectly, but was too light weight to generate enough friction to hold the throttle. If someone wants to play with that, I can send that too.

Top Bottom