Screw-in tire repair

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I found a clip:

b210a6de54869b87074e80db26f41e97.gif

That seems feasible, if it can penetrate the steel belts.
Or, it could just become a shredded, useless piece of chewed up rubber if it doesn't.
But with some cement on it, I could see it working. For 10 bucks, it's a cheap backup if other methods fail.
Let's see... am I gonna start carrying a cordless drill in my bike toolkit...?

Let's see... am I gonna start carrying a cordless drill in my bike toolkit...?
One of the beauties of TPMS is most times on the road I no longer repair a puncture until I'm home in my garage. I've ridden all the way from California to Florida with a nail and slow leak; aired it up to 45 psi and again everytime it dropped below 35.

From the picture it looks like the "cordless drill" is also his air pump? :cool:

Tom

Anyone seen or heard of these? Link below.

View attachment 279319 View attachment 279320

It's and interesting concept, but so far there are no reviews on Amazon. And the wording in the description is a little odd. For example, I've never heard of a tire puncture called a "wound".

It's and interesting concept, but so far there are no reviews on Amazon. And the wording in the description is a little odd. For example, I've never heard of a tire puncture called a "wound".
So maybe you can use it to stop blood flowing from a real wound? I find the description amusing - they call these things nails. Wonder if it requires a JIS screwdriver.

It reminds me of some fasteners for hanging pictures in drywall. One of the YouTube videos yesterday showed the damage one of those did to drywall when it worked loose. That would be a "wound"!

A few months ago, I bought a Dynaplug repair kit. I already had a Stop-N-Go kit, but it seemed like the punctures I was getting were tiny...not large like this seems designed to work on.

Chris

I would think it's intended as a temporary repair to get you to somewhere for a permanent repair. I could see it working with a little rubber cement also....

Better than gummy worms?
It strikes me that the "screws" need to be stiff enough to be able to thread through the tire. Does this take away the ability to mold completely to the edge of the hole?
Trying to come up with a reason they would be better than gummy worms but so far, I can't.

I've heard of guys repairing a puncture with a screw before. Same principal here. I'm not sure I'd trust it long term like I would a sticky rope, but I also know guys that dont trust sticky ropes long term. I once put 10,000 miles on a sticky rope plug.

I've heard of guys repairing a puncture with a screw before. Same principal here. I'm not sure I'd trust it long term like I would a sticky rope, but I also know guys that dont trust sticky ropes long term. I once put 10,000 miles on a sticky rope plug.
I, for one, absolutely trust the sticky rope plugs. I had just installed a new rear tire on my FJR and within 5 miles I picked up an 8 inch screw. When it went in, it hit the hub of the rim and bent over to the point where I had a hard time finding the head of the screw in between the treads! I wrestled the screw out, plugged the hole and put another 8,000 miles on it! My ONLY concern is if you damage the cords. You can feel them with the reaming tool if the puncture is in that vicinity. Just my 2 cents worth! Jevers

I'm buying some , just to have a second method. I use Ride-On, but it's hit or miss. I recently developed a puncture while riding through a heavy rain. All the Ride-On leaked out and coated the inside of my rear finder. I put in a gummy worm and aired it up. A couple days later, the plug came out after riding about 150 miles on the interstate. Replugged, came out again after 60 miles, Next plug lasted 20 miles. I plugged it about 6 times, until I ran out of plugs. Used rubber cement or not, one plug, two plugs. I've ridden plugged tires before for thousands of miles, never had trouble like this. Tire was a Pirelli Anget GT down to the wear markers. I'll carry these with the plugs, just to have another option.

- Hey Larry, you had a kind of weird screw in your rear tire. Here, I removed it for you.
You're lucky I saw it, though.
Don't say me thanks... Just remember you owe me one this time.

Last edited:
I just finished an Angel GT2 this weekend. Has had a gummy worm plug in it almost the full life of the tire (6000 miles). At end of life I think the tire was just too thin for it to hold properly. Kept coming out. The last hour home took a little longer than expected. 35psi is rideable. 25-30psi is awkward handling. 20psi and below it starts to get squirrely.

Back
Top Bottom