Sell 1100 Complete?

GGely

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100 Non ABS
STOC #
Good morning everyone, I’ve decided to sell the 1100 replace it with something else.

I suspect that the value of the bike in the market in my area isn’t going to cover the cost of the brand new HyperPro rear shock, the new MRA windscreen and the HeliBars.

So here’s my question: should I pull those parts, swap them for the originals and sell them separately? I’m not trying to get rich off the sale of this bike but I’d like to get somewhere near what it’s worth.

Or does anyone of my Canadian compatriots want to take a page from Uncle Phil’s book and add another 1100 to their stable? :)

Looking forward to your thoughts!

Last edited:
In my experience, you always do better pulling off the aftermarket parts and sell them separately. I parted out a KLR650 and it was easy selling the aftermarket parts at 50% of retail. For hard to find parts, you can probably get a higher percentage.

The time cost of parting out a bike just isn't worth it in my opinion. But without a doubt you probably could get more parting it out. How much more and whether that is worth your efforts is up to you.

When I buy aftermarket stuff, I keep my OEM stuff, so I can replace when I decide to move on to a different bike.

You won't get much for an ST1100 but if you have the space to keep a parting-out bike and the patience to strip it and mail it you'll end up with more $$... You'll likely end up with a frame/engine you can't do anything with so you may need to plan that out.

I did not get the impression from your post, @GGely, that you wanted to part out the bike - only to sell it with either your aftermarket parts or swap back the OEM pieces. My take on it is, you will get slightly more for a bike with desirable aftermarket parts, and it will sell more quickly than the same bike with OEM parts. You would also make more money from selling an OEM bike and those parts separately, but absent a venue that will allow you to advertise for free, the fees (example, ebay and paypal) and shipping materials tend to eat into the profit. Too, I find listing, selling, and shipping to be a pita and it might take a while to sell the stuff. I just sold a motorcycle with tons of aftermarket stuff on it and literally gave the buyer all the OEM stuff and new parts I'd bought over time.

Me I'd sell as is and move on. Not much want for old ST1100 parts or bikes. Plus the fact they ain't worth much money except for a few dimes here to some forum members here. Me personally, I would pay the same whether accessorized or not.

Isn't it a total shame, that one of the best (if not the best) sport tourers that Honda ever built, when Soichiro was still at the helm too and has proven itself to be bulletproof over decades, is now worth next to nothing? So glad I had one for 27 years of my riding life. There really is nothing like it on the market anymore.

Isn't it a total shame, that one of the best (if not the best) sport tourers that Honda ever built, when Soichiro was still at the helm too and has proven itself to be bulletproof over decades, is now worth next to nothing? So glad I had one for 27 years of my riding life. There really is nothing like it on the market anymore.
I hear ya. Just sold my 98 ST1100 for $1K. Started at $2500 and got NO interest.

The guy I bought my St from paid $3500 for a 96 non abs with 73,000 kms in mint condition. Its just a matter of finding the right person. By the way what are you hoping to get for it?

My apologies, ST-Gerard, I missed your post.

I’d like to get $2,000 ish CDN for the bike. Probably get that total if I pull the top box, rear shock, windscreen and Helibars and sell all that separately and sell the bike for $1,000. Ish.

To bad, to Bush’s point, it’s an amazing bike that deserves better attention.

My apologies, ST-Gerard, I missed your post.

I’d like to get $2,000 ish CDN for the bike. Probably get that total if I pull the top box, rear shock, windscreen and Helibars and sell all that separately and sell the bike for $1,000. Ish.

To bad, to Bush’s point, it’s an amazing bike that deserves better attention.
Life's too short. Sell it and move on. Will a few dollars mean that much to you?
I got lucky last year, found a great buyer and we did a deal that left us both feeling good but unless you really want a 300 kg paperweight in your life and the hassle of selling bits, move it on.
Upt.

I had a 2002 non abs ST1100 I sold in April 2021. Accessories included an RDL, progressive shock + fork springs, recently checked and adjusted valves, 140,000km, GIVI plate for a top box, Clearview windshield, Stebel horn. Cosmetically great shape and running well. After I purchased my Tracer in Jan. 2021 I checked and tracked ST1100 ads on Autotrader and Kijiji for a few months and posted it for $2,800 and got no inquiries for 2 - 3 weeks, lowered the price to $2,500 and it sold the next day. Guy came by with a trailer, cash, no request for a test ride and away it went............

IMO the COVID used bike price spike was not at its peak, but I was satisfied with what it sold for as I was paying $100 a month to insure it. As someone mentioned to me, are you pricing it to sell, or pricing it to keep. The market is what it is. Many of the bikes that were listed for more and had less accessories were there for months, unsold.

Again, IMO opinion, the ST is underappreciated in the market and there is just no demand for it. Very unfortunate, but it is what is is. I think there is going to be minimal demand for the accessories you want to strip off and sell separately, I'd just sell it as a unit.

Hi, all, my apologies for not responding sooner but work took over for a bit.

I’m in the midst of a significant life change that does impact my financial situation so unfortunately, Up’T North, I need to get as much as possible.

However, to several other folks points, there’s a limit to what I can expect, and I get that.

ReStored, I appreciate your comments. I do think that a HyperPro rear shock with remote preload, and maybe 200 miles on it, is probably worth a few shekels. Same with the windscreen and HeliBars, though the bars aren’t spring chickens.

St-Gerard, I had intended this as a bike for sale post so that’s why I haven’t put a picture etc. on this thread. Here’s a link to the Kijiji had if you’re interested in checking it out.

Gabe, I've got no room in my garage for a parts bike, but I'm your buyer if you decide to sell the shock, screen and maybe the HeliBars separately from the bike.
Bruce

Thanks, Bruce, I’m hoping someone will ride the snot out of this bike as opposed to parting it out.

Which someone could do, even if I sell you the parts mentioned for $11,372.57 CDN… ;)

I’ll dm you shortly.

Back
Top Bottom