Sena 10C Evo

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
I recently purchased a Sena 10C EVO. It's a camera and Bluetooth headset in one unit. Sena has been making these for quite a few years, starting with the 10C and then a few years ago, the 10C Pro. Each time, the video and still camera resolution increased. The models before the EVO model looked similar with a distinct camera lens on the front. The EVO model tries to get around that by enclosing the lens.

I've owned the two earlier models, the 10C and 10C Pro. They had some distinct advantages.
  • Despite not being rated as "waterproof", I was able to not only record on them in heavy rain, but to have a battery pack connected and charging the units in the rain.
  • The pictures weren't perfect, but they captured moments that would've gone by otherwise. There's times when it isn't safe to stop on the side of the road for a picture, or convenient when riding in a group. This allows you to capture those moments.
  • You could take snapshots of individual pictures...while recording video. It was handy to use the still picture to act as a "bookmark" while the video was recording, and then go back and pull an individual frame to post online.
So when the camera portion of my 10C Pro died, I thought I'd buy the EVO to replace it.

There are some improvements to the EVO. The camera lens is now hidden, if that's important to you. Video resolution has improved once again. There's a caveat to that though. You can't take a single snapshot while recording...unless you chose the lower resolution the Pro model records in.

One of the changes of the EVO vs the Pro, was the lens. It caused a major problem when I tried mounting the EVO to my Shoei Neotec. There's a way to adjust the lens to make the recording vertical. But the only way to adjust the horizontal alignment of what you're recording, is the placement along the bottom edge of the helmet. In the case of my Neotec, the side is curved. Where the Pro installed, didn't work at all for the EVO. The horizontal alignment put the center of the recording off to the left about 15-20 degrees. To try aligning the camera to where my head was pointed, I mounted it as far forward as I could physically do so. At that point, I had to put a piece of plastic inbetween the clamp and the helmet, otherwise the clamp interfered with the chin piece on the modular helmet closing. Yes, it could be done...but it was a kludge fix for a $400 item.

Then when I tried to use it as a still camera, I think at best, I got about an hour of battery life before the camera came back and told me it was shutting the camera down. I wasn't recording the whole time, just occasionally taking a single snapshot. That is about half of what I got with the Pro model.

Okay, so I can work around this...sort of. With the 10C and Pro versions, I could connect a USB cable to the power connection and charge while using it. But those power connections were on the underside of the headset body. With the EVO, the power connection is on the top of the unit. Water runs down, the last I checked. Why is the power connector in a non-waterproof place on a camera with an extremely short battery life?

The EVO has some nice features on it. I liked how loud the unit was, and the sound quality on the intercom was great. But I boxed it up to return as soon as I returned from my ride.

Chris

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
About $400?
Last week, I read (I believe here on STO, not sure) about an actual dashcam with a DVD for roughly the same price, but no speakers or intercom.
It WAS here, I just remembered, because @aniwack posted it, and cited insurance reasons.
But I ride with wired earplugs, and lately with wireless ear buds. Took several attempts to learn how to put on my Neotec without dislodging them.
In-helmet speakers have to fight wind noise, and I don't want to have to turn the volume up so loud just to overcome that.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Thanks for the review... I'd have the Pro version a while ago except you don't have the option to hardwire a radar detector like the 20S mount allows.. at least I haven't been able to see that aux input jack on the video stuff.

Ryan_B

Site Supporter
Bike
2016 Honda ST1300PA
I tracked down an old, used 10C original that had a dead battery. I ordered and replaced the battery and used that for about 6 months, but I was annoyed that you had to hook up to an external power source for rides over a couple of hours. I will mention for those that don't know, this camera is also a communication device (similar to the Sena 10S), so you can listen to your music and talk on the phone or intercom.

I also bought the INNOVV K3 that Aniwack mentioned which is a dedicated camera system. They both have their perks. The helmet camera is nice, it shows exactly what you are looking at and potentially why you maneuvered (or didn't), it is also recording from a taller perspective. Although the view is not as good, I prefer the mounted camera system. You don't have to worry about them, just start your bike and ride - they will do their job.

Neither of these options are cheap. I think the 10C used and ~5 years old was still around $200 once I replaced the battery. The mounted system was $355.

-Ryan

Bike
ST1300
Thanks for this review! I actually STILL have my original 10C from 2018 and although the battery is not as strong as it used to be like you mentioned, I just charge as I ride and have had no issues. Nothing is dead or broken yet *knocks on wood* and my main purpose is to just record anything and everything while I ride. I'm not making any fancy videos or anything, it's primarily for safety and everything else in between. I was considering the 10C Evo but after what you mentioned, I'm definitely not anymore. I mean, my original 10C is still going strong so I'll keep using it until it gives out (but hopefully not). Maybe Sena will actually consider listening to their consumers and make a better unit in the future.

OP
OP
Daboo
Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
One of the reasons my original 10C died, was the power cord connection was coming loose on the inside of the headset. I think I hastened that by leaving it plugged in constantly.

Before I got Sena to replace that 10C with the Pro model under warranty, I bought a Halocam M1. It's an actual dash cam for a motorcycle with a camera up front and another in the rear. Unlike the 10C, it is an "install and forget" with a "DVD" under the seat.

So I use the Halocam M1 as a dash cam for the safety aspect, and the 10C Pro for catching snapshots to post.

Chris

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
While arguably more expensive, I believe @aniwack made a strong argument for the dedicated dash cam (forgot the name) that he uses.
While everyone may not necessarily be required by insurance to have one, a standalone dash cam seems to me to be more robust, will always be on the bike regardless of which helmet you wear on a given day, or forgetting to charge your cam / comm / music player, etc.
There are pros and cons regardless of which camera you use, as with which Bluetooth headset, or any other device.

OP
OP
Daboo
Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
While arguably more expensive, I believe @aniwack made a strong argument for the dedicated dash cam (forgot the name) that he uses.
That's what the Halocam M1 is. A dedicated dash cam. There are others on Amazon too. INNOVV makes a good camera, but it is expensive and arguably does the same thing.

And the point of the review was to cover the Sena 10C EVO...which is a Bluetooth headset and camera in one unit. It's not a dash cam.

Chris

Top Bottom