Sena 10R opinions

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
Hello, anyone running a Sena 10R? I ride alone mostly, looking for music and Waze directions in my helmet. Don't care at all for the "brick" mounted look of most systems. The 10R is very low profile, seems to fit my needs. Thanks, RT

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
It's low profile, but two piece (outboard battery that typically mounts on the back of the neck roll). Don't know if that makes a difference for you.

The basic operation is like the 10S, meaning that it's a single channel Bluetooth receiver. If you're riding solo, it probably won't make any difference for you. If you're ever riding with other people and want intercom and music/directions, be aware that the audio priorities will cause you to drop the intercom every time you get a signal from your other devices, which will require you to manually re-initiate intercom connection. If you want to maintain more than one connection simultaneously, you'll need to step up to at least the 20S.

In my personal experience, getting Sena devices to pair up with other brands of Bluetooth communicators can sometimes be frustrating. That may or may not be an issue for you, depending on how badly you want to talk to other people.

The "brick" look is kind of the way of the world outside of the 10R. The only other low-profile mainstream unit I'm aware of of the Cardo Packtalk Slim.

I've not been hugely impressed with Sena's customer service or update philosophy. They say "lifetime updates", but in Sena terms that seems to mean "until we come out with a newer unit that we want to sell more of". When Sena quits prioritizing your model, you're pretty much out in the cold. The 10R is still available, but in technological terms is quite old. I don't have any great confidence that Sena will be supporting it for much longer.

Knowing what I know now, if I were to purchase all over again I'd probably go with Cardo units. In your case and preference, that'd be the Packtalk Slim.

Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
Why not a Q-solo? I have similar needs to @rwthomas1 (looking to replace a Sena 10R) and will need two units - one for each of my frequently used helmets, but always in solo use. The Q-solo is more affordable, but I am not sure what it gives up. Do any of the Cardo units easily accommodate ear-buds in place of speakers? That's one reason I don't want to pay extra for high zoot JBL drivers.

Shawn K

Bike
GL1800
STOC #
Take a hard look at the new SENA OUTRUSH modular with everything built in
A $199 Bluetooth integrated modular helmet is going to be heavy, built with low-spec materials, obsolete in short order, and heavy. I wouldn't recommend a BT integrated helmet because of the myriad of design compromises that it entails.

Why not a Q-solo?
I don't know anything about them, except that Cardo says they're out of stock. I only know of the Packtalk Slim because of FortNine's comparison video, and mentioned it because of the OP's desire for the low-profile 10R and aversion to the "brick" style of most units.

I'm not an expert on Bluetooth communicators. I'm just responding to the OP's questions with my own experience with Sena, and the choice I would make if I had to do it all again.

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
I have a 10R. It has multiple BT connections. I am running a Zumo 396. Phone paired to Zumo. Mp3 songs on sd card in Zumo. Zumo paired to the gps connection on the Sena. Multitasking optionon. When you are talking to another Sena unit 20s I had songs, intercom and GPS direction sound at one time. No drop out priority. No intercom, GPS paused music and had override priority.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Do any of the Cardo units easily accommodate ear-buds in place of speakers? That's one reason I don't want to pay extra for high zoot JBL drivers.
My Cardo Packtalk speakers plug in with a conventional 3.5mm stereo audio plug to the helmet mount cradle. I'm using the Cardo speakers but I know folks that are using ear buds instead. The group I usually ride with are all on Cardos and they seem to have the best dynamic mesh system out there. At least this is what I'm told by folks that have used both Sena and Cardo and know a lot more about these devices than I do.

OP
OP

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
Well, I just purchased a new Shoei so an integrated helmet is out. Considered just using ear buds from a bluetooth setup I already have but don't see how in the world the buds would stay put as I squeeze my fat melon into the helmet. I only commute on my bike, and never with other people. Can't see that changing for the foreseeable future. Didn't even know about the Cardo Packtalk Slim. Looks like a nice piece of kit. A little more than the 10r, but maybe the JBL speakers are worth it for the extra coin. Decisions, decisions, thanks all.

RT

Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
...Considered just using ear buds from a bluetooth setup I already have but don't see how in the world the buds would stay put as I squeeze my fat melon into the helmet.
I use custom ear buds. They don't stick out much into the outer ear. I can run them at very low volumes and still hear the audio cleanly. Seems more efficient than stuffing my ears with ear plugs and trying to push the audio over top of it with any fidelity at all.

OP
OP

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
I use custom ear buds. They don't stick out much into the outer ear. I can run them at very low volumes and still hear the audio cleanly. Seems more efficient than stuffing my ears with ear plugs and trying to push the audio over top of it with any fidelity at all.
Where did you get the custom ear buds done? I had a set made, but decades ago, and they worked but were much more bulky than expected...

RT

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Where did you get the custom ear buds done? I had a set made, but decades ago, and they worked but were much more bulky than expected...

RT
Best bet is to check with a local audiologist, just google ear care/hearing aids in your area. Not all might have access to suppliers for musical ones, I interviewed two that did not, 1 claimed they did but were of horrible sound quality. Some will or they will help you find 'em. Just let your fingers walk and ask if they do custom molded musician monitors.

I found a doc by me, had molds made and bought Westone ES60's. Sound awesome and since I went through the office it was a medical expense. I even paid using tax free dollars.

PS Yes, mine fit just fine under my helmet (N104). Comfortable for all day wear and work great when I mow the yard too.

Shawn K

Bike
GL1800
STOC #
For what it's worth, I've had a pair of "The Plug" earbuds by Koss that have served me well. They use a soft foam insert like safety ear plugs, so they seal up comfortably in the ear. The drivers have a little sound tube that runs through the foam, so you can hear music clearly while reducing ambient noise effectively. The driver unit is low profile, so they'll fit comfortably in your ear without rubbing against the inside of the helmet (at least they do for me).

I found out about them originally via Aerostich, but you can get them on Amazon for $10-12. I just bought another pair today for an upcoming trip to Texas. My experience is that they're a good bang for the buck.

Last edited:
Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
Well, I just purchased a new Shoei so an integrated helmet is out. Considered just using ear buds from a bluetooth setup I already have but don't see how in the world the buds would stay put as I squeeze my fat melon into the helmet. I only commute on my bike, and never with other people. Can't see that changing for the foreseeable future. Didn't even know about the Cardo Packtalk Slim. Looks like a nice piece of kit. A little more than the 10r, but maybe the JBL speakers are worth it for the extra coin. Decisions, decisions, thanks all.

RT
If you're going to consider a brick on the side of the helmet like anything other than the Sena 10r, then you might wish to look at eBay and get one of those. I know a leader of a local rider group who uses one and finds it works great. I think you'll find the price to be a fraction of any of the name brands, and the functionality probably the same for your purposes, especially since you ride alone.

As someone who has the Sena 10C Pro, the idea of having a "brick" on the side of the helmet is probably not as bad as you might think. Mine is a combination action camera and BT headset, so is slightly larger than a BT headset itself. I never notice it, except for appreciating what it allows me to do.

If you haven't realized this already, conversations about Sena and Cardo are like when I was growing up and the discussions were about Ford vs Chevy. Or oil. Or tires. Or...

Chris

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
OK, I'll ask... independent of brand, what's wrong with the 'brick' on the side? You can't feel (or hear) its size, has good battery life and it's big enough to be finger friendly. What's not to like?

OP
OP

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
OK, I'll ask... independent of brand, what's wrong with the 'brick' on the side? You can't feel (or hear) its size, has good battery life and it's big enough to be finger friendly. What's not to like?
I ride a maroon ST, the paint is burnt so it looks quite purple. Doesn't bother me. I wear a used Aerostich, faded yellow with light grey accents. With a flat black helmet I look like a large banana that has some bruising. I don't care. Now stick something to the side of my helmet. It's asymmetric. OCD kicks in. I can't handle it. Can't mix tire designs and brands either. Just. Can't. Do. It. OCD can be strange.

Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
This can fit in your pocket. Plug your earbuds into it. This device connects to your phone via bluetooth. I used one for years, but I didn't remember that it cost this much. You can throw the supplied ear buds away. IIRC this one is duplex. I don't know if Siri works with these or not, but it should.

Duporth

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 BMW R1250GS
I have Sena 10R. I like the low profile on the side of my helmet. I had a few Scala Riders but think the high profile and their aerials generate wind noise when on the cruise. The Sena 10R doesn't produce the same wind noise by my assessment. I mounted the Sena battery on the rear of my helmet. It all looks quite neat on my Shoei Neotec. The only thing I noted with the 10R is that the fine cable to the speakers rubs through easily, becomes bear, as it runs over the bottom edge of the helmet. I use sound deadening ear buds and run the Sena on full volume. I did the same with the Scalas.

The Scalas performed well though and had a great range of inter-bike communication, maybe a Mile. I don't think the Sena 10R could match that, but not certain as I ride alone these days and just talk to myself. Mostly saying "Wow, how good is this!" Somewhere I recall reading the specified communication range of the 10R is quite a lot less than the Scala.
D

Top Bottom