Sena Customer Service

What no Google, Youtube, Ebay, or Amazon in Canada -it's amazing what you can find if you only look; no GOVERNMENT law required! :thumb:

Tom
I have often looked for many things and was never able to find them. Admittedly someone with better searching skills may have. But that isn't the point. Unless it is easy enough for the consumer to repair it, or have it repaired, they will just throw it out and replace it even though it might be a very minor repair if the parts were easily available. The intent of the proposed law was to help save the planet by trying to reduce the waste our society generates through products designed to be throw away by making it easy for the consumer to consider repairing rather than throwing out..

Sorry. I have to side with Sena on this. They are a business, and need to make a profit. If they did as you suggest, where do they draw the line?
When I had a problem with my Sena SMH10, Sena said it was caused by electronic interference caused by my 06 Honda ST1300, since it was still under warranty they bought me a BMW, and I haven't had a problem since. :cool:

Tom

Bottom line: not for the electronic geeks among us

I won't be going to Battery U for advice or reference data. I've found more incorrect information on their website then useful. He has had the website out there for awhile, but bottom line is they are not a manufacturer or primary supplier of batteries.

The intent of the proposed law was to help save the planet by trying to reduce the waste our society generates through products designed to be throw away by making it easy for the consumer to consider repairing rather than throwing out..
We agree; government laws will save us all as they have always done in the past. :thumb:

Sorry. I have to side with Sena on this. They are a business, and need to make a profit. If they did as you suggest, where do they draw the line?
Chris
My complaint isn't only based on the fact that they would not consider a warranty claim. It is as much the fact that they took forever to respond to every email and every step of the way was like pulling teeth just to get a response from them, never mind a favorable response. Even if they had accepted the claim and replaced the unit free-of-charge I still would claim that they did not have good customer service. This is not the first time I have dealt with them either. The other times were just as terrible and in those instances I was not even asking for anything monetary. I was trying to resolve problems I was having related to their software and they were incapable of helping me resolve those issues either. Customer service is supposed to be helpful, not a challenge.

It was also because they don't offer any kind of post warranty service at all- nothing. At least offer a replacement battery for sale. If the unit has to be replaced because the battery died, or for any other reason for that matter, and the replacement cost was $50.00 that is one thing. This is not a $50.00 item however. I know batteries can be found but that is not the point. The point is that Sena says that the batteries are not replaceable- buy a new unit. I think at the price they sell these things that is not a reasonable position for them to have. All they have done is anger customers which has resulted in batteries being sold by others to fill the void that Sena created.

If the problem turns out not to be the battery it sound to me like my brother-in-law most likely won't replace it with another Sena even with the discount that they have offered him. The reason is because even with the discount it is still an expensive item when compared to other alternatives. Right now he is saying that he refuses to give those !&*&^%^ any more money if their product is only going to last 2 1/2 or three years before it dies. He feels he might as well spend $75.00 on a cheap unit and have the same chance of success as with the Sena. If they had responded that they will send him a replacement battery at his cost, or offered him the opportunity to send it in for repair and they would replace the battery at his cost he would still not be happy that it needs a new battery after such little use but he would still be happy with their service and the product. As it stand now he hates Sena, will not buy anything Sena ever again and advises everybody he talks to not to buy Sena.

We agree; government laws will save us all as they have always done in the past. :thumb:
The law as I remember it being proposed was would not to force anyone to repair anything. The manufacturers did not even have to offer repair services themselves if they didn't want to. It was to create an environment where the possibility of having something repaired could exist. Having more choices rather than less is better.

The law as I remember it being proposed was would not to force anyone to repair anything.
Why not? If the intent: "was to help save the planet by trying to reduce the waste our society generates..." Do you want laws to save the planet or not? Let's start simple: how about a government mandated repairable light bulb or battery? I'm tired of throwing them out. :rolleyes:

Back on subject: Batteries wear out, some aren't easily replaced. Sena batteries are fairly easy to replace. When warranties expire you're usually expected to make the repair or replace decision on your own.

Tom

I have these Sena products:
- 20s (two) Helmet Comm Kit
- Prism Tube Cam
- Prism Tube Cam WiFi
- SR10 BT Radio Interface
- RC4 BT Remote Control

Of these, only the Prism Tube Cam was problematic. It stopped recording after about 6 months. After convincing the Customer Support guy that it was the battery, I sent it in and it was replaced. My theory on this is that the batteries on these go bad after so many years of shelf life not being used. Mine was bought in 2018, and the product code was 2015.

I’ve had much correspondence with Sena Customer Support and I’m Ok with them. The problem is their marketing and R&D Engineering are not responsive nor probably able to make even simple changes. Case in point, Sena NEEDS a BT wireless remote control PTT button for their radio and comms gear. Their competitors have BT PTT but Sena does not. I’ve explained to them that all they have to do is make the changes to their gear to make use of their existing BT wireless 20S remote control device RC4. No response from Engineering even though Customer Support did their job of passing the info. On the Sena site Customer forums, there’s a lot of support of the need of a PTT button, but no response.

I really like the Sena products, and understand that battery components can go bad and why, but no response to customer requests to hand them money is a sad situation.

In general, it’s not good to overcharge any battery. These Sena batteries are small and heat up when charging, and heat kills all electrical devices eventually. So do be warned to not over charge these batteries and allow them to fully discharge occasionally.

Last edited:
...It was also because they don't offer any kind of post warranty service at all- nothing. At least offer a replacement battery for sale. If the unit has to be replaced because the battery died, or for any other reason for that matter, and the replacement cost was $50.00 that is one thing...
A three-minute search on the Internet revealed a YouTube video on how to replace the batter on a Sena 20S. Amazon sells Sena 20S batteries.

Looks like there's plenty of opportunities for post-warranty "service" outside of Sena.

Chris

Might have to reverse pins; easier than soldering.
Perfect, thanks very much Tom.

Daboo said:
Looks like there's plenty of opportunities for post-warranty "service" outside of Sena.
But that's not the same as sending it back to the factory and having it repaired and tested before returning it to the customer is it.

And now someone will cite one data point where a factory fix didn't work and try to sell the conclusion that factory repair is an unequivocal waste of time. 3..2..1..

I have no idea. That is the way they had written the proposed law. If you are interested in knowing why you might consider submitting a request to Ontario and ask them that question- maybe they are better at responding to requests than Sena are!
Do you want laws to save the planet or not?
Whether I do or not isn't germane to my point. My point is that for a manufacturer who sells items at the price Sena does and who does not offer any possibility of any kind of repair, or at least testing of their products, and who leaves their consumer with no other choice but to throw them out when they have hardly been used is poor customer service in my opinion.
Let's start simple: how about a government mandated repairable light bulb or battery? I'm tired of throwing them out.
Considering the sarcasm with which I am sure you intended that it might surprise you to learn that I actually do check both light bulbs and rechargeable batteries before I throw them out. I have been able to repair both items on many occasions in the past allowing me to use them for longer before having to replace them. I was able to do so only because they are simple items that did not require any additional information from the manufacturer to diagnose. This is unlike the Sena where we don't know whether the problem is the battery or something else. We don't know because Sena has poor customer service and doesn't provide any information or means of testing/diagnosing.
Thanks for supporting my position.
[/QUOTE]
Back on subject: Batteries wear out, some aren't easily replaced. Sena batteries are fairly easy to replace. When warranties expire you're usually expected to make the repair or replace decision on your own.
Agreed. However, as stated we don't know if the problem is the battery or something else that is repairable or not. If we could have it tested to know we could easily make the repair or replace decision on our own. Sena will not provide its customers with the information to make that diagnosis or offer a service to do it for them. I think that is poor customer service.
So, thanks for supporting my position once again.

A three-minute search on the Internet revealed a YouTube video on how to replace the batter on a Sena 20S. Amazon sells Sena 20S batteries.

I found those as well- before I started this thread actually. Plenty of opportunities as long as the problem is the battery and replacing it fixes the problem but we don't now that.

The fact that this unit might be able to be repaired was not the point of this thread- especially since we don't even know if it is repairable. It was about the fact that I think that Sena customer service is lacking because they do not offer any repair, or make the repair data available to authorized repair stations, on an item that they do not sell at a disposable price level.
Also because of the long response times, lack of meaningful answers and generally crappy service they provide whenever I have dealt with their customer service department.

But that's not the same as sending it back to the factory and having it repaired and tested before returning it to the customer is it.
No it isn't. In several of those YouTube videos the batteries didn't quite fit because they did not match the dimensions of the original battery and had to be forced in to the unit. Not exactly a factory authorized repair.

If they are not interested in doing repairs make the data/parts available to authorized repair facilities to do so on their behalf in a sanctioned and professional manner like many other electronics manufacturers routinely do. At least for battery replacements if nothing else. There is no excuse that the battery is not a customer replaceable item let alone considered not replaceable at all according to them.

Thanks Bob.

There is no excuse that the battery is not a customer replaceable item...

My brother-in-law has a 20S communicator that is three years old. It no longer works...I submitted a claim to Sena on his behalf knowing that it was past the two year warranty period

Bought a cell phone lately??? ;)

To be honest I find your rant interesting in that you feel so strongly about a product that you don’t own and refuse to accept helpful advice. Send the Sena to me and I will be happy to replace the battery which will most likely fix your brother-in-laws device and your problem ... or not. :cool:

Tom

TPadden said:
Bought a cell phone lately???
I can take my out of warranty phone into the seller/manufacturer and get a new battery installed in less than an hour or two for $60 and I'm good for five years (have been for the last ten). With a warranty too. At some point a phone will eventually become unsupported and it could become a DIY project. For me it's an excuse to buy a new phone.

Bought a cell phone lately???
Actually no I haven't because I haven't needed to for two very good reasons. One is that I have a very very old Samsung- probably close to ten years old. It still has the original battery in it and even though I hardly ever use it and it just sits there until it is completely discharged before I think to charge it again months later and it still works just fine, and it still holds a charge just fine as well. Imagine that.

The other reason is that I also have an old flip phone that was still using the old technology network that the cell phone carriers were shutting down as they were completing their migration to the current network. The carrier that I am with saw in their records that I was still using a phone that would no longer function once they turned off the old network. Prior to shutting off the old network they contacted me to advise me that my phone would no longer work as of XX date. They offered me a choice of replacement phones- all I had to do was call them and let them know which one I wanted. The result was that they sent me a brand new smart phone with sim card included at absolutely zero dollars to me- not even an activation fee.
That is an example of good customer service that is above and beyond what is expected and I commended them for it.

By the way, I still have the old flip phone that has to be at least 15 years old and its battery still works perfectly fine as well.
To be honest I find your rant interesting in that you feel so strongly about a product that you don’t own and refuse to accept helpful advice. Send the Sena to me and I will be happy to replace the battery which will most likely fix your brother-in-laws device and your problem ... or not.
I am not quite sure what lead you to such a conclusion.
Firstly, I do own a Sena myself, which I have stated, so I have an interest in their customer support or lack thereof.
Secondly, I have been the victim of their poor customer support personally on more than one occasion, which I also eluded to, which grants me the privilege of commenting on it.
Thirdly I have not refused any helpful advice. In fact, the battery was ordered several days ago because, short of replacing the unit, that is the only repair that we can attempt even though we don't know if the problem is the battery.

None of the above is germane to the point of this thread or the impetuous behind it which is that in my opinion the customer support offered by Sena is poor at best based on my dealings and experiences with them. Regardless of how helpful the advice kindly offered here by people such as yourself is, and I thank you and the others for it, the fact remains that I am dissatisfied with the customer support offered by Sena not only in this instance but in general.
If you have been more fortunate with their customer support I am happy for you but that doesn't change the negative experiences that I have had with them to date.

I can take my out of warranty phone into the seller/manufacturer and get a new battery installed in less than an hour or two for $60 and I'm good for five years (have been for the last ten). With a warranty too. At some point a phone will eventually become unsupported and it could become a DIY project. For me it's an excuse to buy a new phone.
Exactly the point. And this for an item that there is a good chance that the user didn't even pay for as it was included as part of their monthly phone plan and yet you can still have it repaired.

None of the above is germane to the point of this thread or the impetuous behind it which is that in my opinion the customer support offered by Sena is poor at best based on my dealings and experiences with them.
OK...I understand both your opinion and Sena's support (or lack thereof) business decision. :thumb:

I still love their product; find it reliable and nearly indestructible. :cool:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom