Sena = ESL classes

Bike
2010 ST1300 AA
STOC #
ARGH,
I have a pair of Sena SMH-10r bluetooth headsets that I use with my wife primarily for the intercom. For THAT purpose they are awesome. I have never figured out how to get the cell phone call volume to be the same as the intercom or the voice prompts or the music played from my cell phone. EVERY time I get a call, the thing plays a jingle to say there is an incoming call. That jingle is the same volume as the voice prompt or intercom... get the picture?
Where it all goes in the basket is when I click the center button to actually take the call. The cell phone voice audio IS 100 TIMES LOUDER than the jingle. Needless to say, its a little distracting and painful. Clicking the minus button 6 times gets the volume under control. Here's the kicker. The Sena is supposed to hold the volume settings for each of the "inputs". When the call is over, the voice prompts, tones or intercom are really low until.... you start tapping the Plus button to get back to where you were.

Emailing Sena is worse than dealing with Comcast! In my initial email, my very first sentence said that I had paired my Galaxy G7 with the Sena as a "cell phone". The CSR's initial response was to tell me that I had paired it incorrectly and to pair it as a "cell phone" . From that point is has gone down hill.

Does anyone have any experience with the SMH10r and this problem? I'm thinking it may be my Samsung Galaxy but everything has all the updates that can be updated.

Thanks
Michael

Motorcycle Dave is a member of and vendor on this forum. He is also a Sena dealer. I suggest you contact him and ask him the question. He has dealer access to Sena and should be able to get you an answer to your question.

Turn the volume on your phone down to a reasonable level using the phone, not the Sena unit. Once the incoming phone level is set, it will move in relation to the other functions as you turn things up and down.

Turn the volume on your phone down to a reasonable level using the phone, not the Sena unit. Once the incoming phone level is set, it will move in relation to the other functions as you turn things up and down.

None of the volume controls on the phone make any difference in the Sena phone call audio.... The ONLY control that changes the call volume is the minus button on the Sena. I have some more experimenting to do tonight. My wife has the same phone and the same sena unit. She has never used the Sena for anything other than the intercom to me. One discovery from searching the web is that there is a secret developer menu on the Galaxy that has a "disable max volume" control. The wife's phone has Android 8.0.0 installed where mine is back in the stone age of 6.1.1. My phone doesn't have that control within the developer selections so 'm taking updates after update so that the phones can get to the same rev.
The simple thing is to see how her phone behaves with her SMH10r. If it acts as it should then my hope is that the Galaxy updates will fix my issue.

The point in making the post is that my experience with Sena's email support has been a nightmare.

IF the wife's android 8.0.0 phone doesn't behave as Sena says, I'm breaking down and attempting to call them. Hopefully I will get someone other than "Thomas"...

Final answer is that the Sena SMH10R doesnt like playing with anything under Android version 7.
Thats the first version that offers a "disable max volume" developer option that fixes the issue of cell call audio blowing your ears off as well as the phone volume controls actually functioning for call audio.
I can thank my non IT wife for Googling just the right sequence of words to find the answer. NO thanks to Sena support. Thats a horn that blows.

My last email to Sena was this :( "
Here is the final answer.

YOUR product NO WORK with Android 6.0. IT NEED at android 7.0 or newer.

DEVELOPER OPTIONS must be enabled.

SELECT "Disable absolute volume" fixes CALL AUDIO CONTROL ISSUE.

END OF STORY..

The reply was :Okay! Good to hear that. I'll make notations here on my end so that our higher department will be aware of this. Cause we also have an issue of Phones like Galaxy 7 and 8 Samsungs, But out software engineer are working on it. Anyways, I appreciate that you able to find a solution for that.

GRRRRRRR

Last edited:
YOUR product NO WORK with Android 6.0. IT NEED at android 7.0 or newer.

DEVELOPER OPTIONS must be enabled.

SELECT "Disable absolute volume" fixes CALL AUDIO CONTROL ISSUE.

END OF STORY..

I have a really simple way of dealing with companies like this. If they feel customer service is such a low priority that they will hire folks who barely speak English, or are hard to understand due to local dialects, etc, I REFUSE to do further business with them. If I call customer service, and the CS rep does not speak clear English that I can easily understand, I ask for someone who does. If they lack that capability, I'm done...fini! This is America. We speak English.

klaproth said:
This is America. We speak English.
After a fashion. but fair point. Amazon outsources its customer service, apparently to the Philippines, but I've had no problem.

My main issue with outsourced tech support services is problem resolution. You most often first encounter script readers who can only walk you down one and only one path. Getting the problem elevated is really difficult.

Back
Top Bottom