Sena SMH10 old vs New version

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
I've had a pair of the Sena's since they first came out... Version 1 ( non-upgradable ) for myself and wife.
I wanted to try the new version to compare to the old. New is currently V v5.x ( upgradable ) As they are soon coming out with a '20' model.

I gave one of the older ones to a friend as we were going to NESTOC.

Well, the V5 with the voice commands are a big inprovement. I like ti so much, I'll prob pick up a second main module to replace the other V1 ( they fit the same mount ).
I also like the group talk.... we were able to link all three intercoms and chat the whole way upstate. Phone calls dropped out the person linked to their phone, and then they relinked after hangup. Range in group mode was over 1/2 mile on flat open road ( line of sight, didn't try for max ) , later tho we took diff roads and I found the trees/leaves/elv diff of 50feet caused the headset to drop out after 100 yards... which considering BT isn't bad.

Everything else is the same, no problems linking to phones, music, etc.

1129VLD

"71David5"
Bike
04 ST1300
STOC #
I just finished a 3,000ish trip with my two brothers. We all had SMH-10s, updated to the v5 firmware. All of us were paired to each other and also to your phones. I was also paired to a SM10 which had the RD and Zumo wired to it. VOX was off on all headsets.

All-in-all it worked well. For me, I had Sat. Radio and navigation through the Zumo; radar alerts from the RD lowered the volume of the sat radio until I cancelled the alert. Intercom preempted the SM10; Phone preempted everything, although I would get an alert if one of the brothers was trying to contact me through the intercom while I was in a phone call. One time I somehow managed to bring my brother into a phone call (not sure how exactly that happened).

My only gripe is that (unless I understood incorrectly), in order for all three of us to be in a conversation I had to establish a connection with brother #1 and then somehow signal brother #2 to tap into the conversation. I would like to see Sena add a feature to establish a conversation with all paired headsets.

OP
OP
Tom Mac 04a

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
1129VLD;1757844snip... One time I somehow managed to bring my brother into a phone call (not sure how exactly that happened). My only gripe is that (unless I understood incorrectly) said:
Yes... one of the newer features of V5 I was reading about allows you to share a phone call or your music with another.... I only have 1 V5 and 2 V1s so I couldn't try it.

As to group, #1 and #2 link, #3 then links into #1 so all talk together... it seems a bit mixed up till you do it a few times... seems to work fine tho.

1129VLD

"71David5"
Bike
04 ST1300
STOC #
The group intercom did work fine once all three were in the conversation. However, unless you all start out in a 3-way intercom you somehow have to signal #3 to join the conversation. I'd like to see either a way to initiate a total group conversation, or have one of the two riders in a connection bring in the #3 guy. Seems odd that #3 has to bring himself into the conversation.

But, like I said. All-in-all it worked fine.

I haven't yet, but will be trying to connect a SR10 using the spare HFP. That should also give me GMRS/FRS and/or CB. So my set up will be GPS/XM and RD to the SM10 paired to the SMH10 as A2DP, GMRS/FRS/CB to the SR10 paired to the SMH10, phone paired to the SMH10 HFP, and then intercom paired to whomever. I haven't done this yet, but I'm hoping that the SMH10 will preempt the SM10 when I'm using the SR10 for GMRS/FRS/CB.

Top Bottom