Sena with J&M CB ??

larryg

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
Has anyone successfully used the Sena with a J&M CB ??

I need to get a CB on the bike, for trip coming up soon.
I already have the Sena SMH-10 headset, that I'd like to use it for CB too, with a Sena SR10 radio adaptor.

I have a line on a used J&M CB, for cheap, but I don't see any info anywhere on connecting it to a Sena.

I'm wondering if it would be easier to just buy a Midland 75-822, since they have a ready-made cable available for this.

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks. ;)

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
No adapters currently exist that would connect the two. I think J&M has a Bluetooth dongle but I seem to recall it only works with J&M headsets for some reason and those are not that great.

I tried to get the SR10 and FRS/Radar Detector/GPS connected to an SMH10 and bluetooth to that as well as my phone. It may be possible via the manual but it was a lot of small wired and just too much 'stuff' to deal with. I like the ease of use of the J&M handlebar mount CB - bolted on and not many wired to manage once installed. You may want to give J&M a call to see if they have any suggestions.

Bike
Super Tenere
I plan on doing the same thing. However, both Sena and J&M will tell you it can't be done.
It can be done. Somewhere around here I have the wiring diagram. I also have the fabricated cord with the 6 pin on one end and the SR10 cord on the other.
I purchased it from a buddy that used it on his J&M/Sena combo successfully until he changed his bikes.
Send me a PM if you're interested and I'll locate my files and info. -JEP-

Bike
Super Tenere
Here are the wiring diagrams (attached). I know you can purchase the cord from Sena but I am looking for the link where you can purchase the 6-pin plug.
I want to say that the entire cost is around $20.
Once you have connected the SR10 unit to the J&M (Now I'm repeating what I was told so bear with me here) you must leave the SR10 in the ON position.
I have been waiting for the Sena 20S to be available otherwise I could tell you first hand how it works.
Hope this helps. -JEP-

UPDATE: Found it!
www.mouserelectronics.com
Part# 171-0276
DIN 6 PIN BLACK

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
OP
larryg

larryg

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
Here are the wiring diagrams .....
Hope this helps. -JEP-

Yes! It helps - bigtime, thank you! :D

I will go ahead and get the J&M, hopefully soon, and post results back here when I have it done.

I've been using the Midland radio with the SR-10 and the Sena plug. It works OK. I don't have a frequent use for it so I keep it simple and just use the Midland with its battery pack to avoid all the noise issues typical of CB. Normally, I have a VHF/UHF radio wired to the SR-10 and that's on my left handle bar. I put a RAM bracket on my right handle bar for the Midland when I'm riding with someone like my brother or my cousin who have CBs built into their bikes.

Bike
Super Tenere

I will go ahead and get the J&M, hopefully soon, and post results back here when I have it done.
If you don't already have a CB, I would go with one that Sena claims to be compatible with and avoid the hassle of making a cord. -JEP-

Bike
Super Tenere
I'm picking up my Sena 10 units Saturday. I have the cord and SR10 unit for my J&M radio, so I will be trying that out later in the week.
I was told mid-June on the 20 arrival which even if it's true this time, it's to late for my trip. So I went with the time proven 10.
I'll keep you posted on my results. -JEP-

OP
OP
larryg

larryg

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A

I ordered the connector from Mouser, and put it on the Sena cable per the diagram above:

http://www.amazon.com/Sena-Technologies-Two-way-Radio-Cable/dp/B009DD0MVW/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1410125027&sr=8-7&keywords=sena+sr10+bluetooth+two-way+radio+adapter

Plugged it in and all works :D.
The SR10 interfaces fine with the J & M CB - and the radio's PTT key works too (I thought I'd have to use an external key switch).

Sorry I forgot to post this sooner...

I ordered the connector from Mouser, and put it on the Sena cable per the diagram above:

http://www.amazon.com/Sena-Technologies-Two-way-Radio-Cable/dp/B009DD0MVW/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1410125027&sr=8-7&keywords=sena+sr10+bluetooth+two-way+radio+adapter

The SR10 interfaces fine with the J & M CB - and the radio's PTT key works too (I thought I'd have to use an external key switch).

For the diagram-challenged, can you tell me which color Sena radio adapter wire goes to which pin number on the DIN?

So... buy this cable.... buy a jm radio and plug to wire up to above cable and it works?
I already have the sena stuff...
Where are u guys putting the sr10? Or sm1psm10 whatever its called????

You sent me an email a while back and you had ohm'ed out the Hirose Conn to the DIN.
You showed the following:
Hirose Conn........... DIN
1 ........... to ?........ 1
2 .......................... 3
5 .......................... 4
6 .......................... 6

How do these match to the Sena Cable which only has
wires 1-4 (no 5 or 6)

You may have answered this before but I am trying to recover from
a crashed computer.
Thanks

I've made 2 of these cables recently, with the following pin-outs:

Hirose ................ DIN
1 (red) ....... to ..... 1 (audio out from J&M CB to SR10)
2 (blue) ...... to ..... 3 (mic in from SR10 to J&M CB)
4 (brown) ... to ..... NA (the PTT wire has no place to go, as the J&M headset doesn't carry a PTT signal - I just cut off the PTT wire)
6 (black) .... to ..... 6 (ground)

To make life easier, use side cutters to snip off solder posts 2, 4, & 5 on the DIN (snip off the solder side, not the headset plug side). I used RTV sealant to fill up the solder side of the DIN once my connections were soldered, both for waterproofing and to make sure that any exposed wires couldn't make contact with one another.

Bike
03 ST1300
what is the part number from Mouser that you are using for the cable into the J&M ? (( never mind, i didn,t see the part number as posted earlier,,lol. sorry about that. ))

Last edited:
just in case anyone is wondering I can confirm that the midland cable will work with the cobra roadtrip handheld cb and I'm told sounds really good with the sena 20S

OP
OP
larryg

larryg

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
I need to post a correction to my earlier post in this thread: Just realized that my cable pinout is wrong,
My mistake was in not seeing "Solder side of DIN plug" on the J & M pinout diagram. This would mean that I had pins 1 and 5 reversed.

I just checked my cable again, and the post by QBird 66 has it right ( although my DIN plug has 2, 4 and 6 tied together):
Sorry for any confusion this may have caused....

Hirose ................ DIN
1 (red) ....... to ..... 1 (audio out from J&M CB to SR10)
2 (blue) ...... to ..... 3 (mic in from SR10 to J&M CB)
4 (brown) ... to ..... NA (the PTT wire has no place to go, as the J&M headset doesn't carry a PTT signal - I just cut off the PTT wire)
6 (black) .... to ..... 6 (ground)

I need to post a correction to my earlier post in this thread: Just realized that my cable pinout is wrong,
My mistake was in not seeing "Solder side of DIN plug" on the J & M pinout diagram. This would mean that I had pins 1 and 5 reversed.

I just checked my cable again, and the post by QBird 66 has it right ( although my DIN plug has 2, 4 and 6 tied together):
Sorry for any confusion this may have caused....
Ah - on the DIN you tied both speaker negative pins to ground. I don't think it matters, since nothing is connected to them from the SR10.

Uturnrick

Uturn
Bike
2018 BMW R1200 GS
Larry,

I'm interested in talking to you to see how successful you were in installing a 2003CB 6 pin din to the end of the Sena SR10 2 way radio cable with open end (aka Hirose 6 pin).

You can call me at my cell 214-926-3905 or Rick_Butler@verizon.net

Thanks,

Rick Butler (aka ButtButler)

jfheilman

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
I know its not the same thing but this is how I connected my J&M CB to my Autocom system with a customer built/made connector. Worked well until a couple of years ago when I had to have the bike worked on due to hitting a deer.

Attachments

Top Bottom