Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Yes. But I think the idea of a bigger tarp will solve the problem. The roof of the tarp needs to be sloped enough in opposite
directions to keep the roof from sagging. Think of an A-Frame house; to get more vertical headroom, the footprint size needs to be larger.
Dave
I think Adhom probably hit the nail on the head - this is an extra thick tarp which is probably the source of a lot of sag.
So far the center 'pole' idea appears to work in 'theory' (everything works in theory but sometime not in practice!;) ).
The weather wienies are predicting thunderstorms tomorrow afternoon which will be the real 'acid' test.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Even with a lightweight tarp the issue is that any tarp, and any cording crossing diagonally across the middle, will always always always sag at least a little in the middle. The ONLY way to prevent that is to have some kind of rigid support going across diagonally between at least 2 opposite poles or to have a center pole. NO way around that. It is just the nature of the thing. I have never seen any cord or tarp that has no sag, if only just a very little bit of sag. Even if there is only a foot between the poles there will be sag. Maybe not readily apparent but still enough to detect when compared with a true straight edge or line of sight. If water can collect in that very slight sag then it will collect and cause the sag to increase to collect more water.

The only other way to ensure no pooling of water in the middle is to not even try to have a center flat area to begin with. Instead slope both sides to allow run off or set it up as a lean-to with one edge high and the entire tarp angled back for run off. In all cases there WILL be some sag between all the poles so it's a matter of eliminating that bowl or at the very least angling the bowl to allow run off.

BTW- per the post above, you will notice in the photo I posted one of my shorter poles, the white one, is several inches shorter than the other short pole. I've tried many different configurations with 2 or 3 or 4 tall poles and settled on the one in my picture as being the best to avoid collecting any water. Sometimes I'll leave that shortest pole out and just run the cord out to a peg. All cords are tied off using the truckers hitch and sometimes get adjusted to tighten them after a few days.

Bike
2002 ST1300A
STOC #
Even with a lightweight tarp the issue is that any tarp, and any cording crossing diagonally across the middle, will always always always sag at least a little in the middle.
Couldn't agree more. Lots of things sag the longer that they're exposed to gravity.

It's a big reason of why I prefer 2 poles and a hammock (plus sleeping in a hammock is much more comfy). My son once made the mistake of hanging his hammock using paracord. He woke up on the floor. :D

Hey Matt:

You will find the locals on Newfoundland very accommodating and friendly........the Black Flies however will ruin your trip. They are usually gone by mid-July. The rocky bays around the island are starting to support a viable cod fishery once again. You should take advantage of a fresh cod dinner more than once If you get out to the Avalon Coast (eastern side) go to St.Mary's Ecological Preserve. Even if you are not a "birder" the view of the ocean from there is inspiring. We watched 3 different types of whales chasing bait fish there while a pleasant eastern breeze provided air support for puffins, and too many other birds to keep track of.

Bob

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I had a good chance to give the Nemo Switch tent a try during NatSTOC. It's a very well constructed tent with the option of setting up a good sized awning. Worked very well.

The poles are thicker than most tents. You will have to get the poles for the awning setup.

IMG_20220622_164226.jpg

IMG_20220622_164232.jpg

IMG_20220621_195828.jpg

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Well, as Paul Harvey used to say 'Now, the rest of the story...'.
I got the other tarp sorted but it required two more poles in the center and the 'packed' size was growing and growing.
Someone early on (I am a little slow) had said probably the weight of the tarp was an issue with the sag.
So, I found another light weight waterproof tarp that packs much smaller and came up with a setup that will work fine -

NewTarp.jpg

Thanks for all the ideas and helping me to think through the process!

Top Bottom