Shield replacement or add on?

Bike
07 ST1300
STOC #
Hi folks...got my ST1100...it has stock shield on it which is a bit too noisy and windy ti my liking...do you recommend taller shield or Laminar lip? Welcome your opinions.

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
Cheap Amazon clip on lip windshield extensions work fine. And are a must do add on for lots of windshields.
If you like, lots more $$ can be spent for about the same results.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
There's also an adjustable windshield made by Madstad that some folks have been really happy with.
I have Clearviews in all of my ST1100s and have been very pleased with them.
It sort of boils down to how much do you want to spend and how quiet you want it to be.

Hi folks...got my ST1100...it has stock shield on it which is a bit too noisy and windy ti my liking...do you recommend taller shield or Laminar lip? Welcome your opinions.
For my st1300 I got a Puig windscreen. Similar to original. A bit taller, and a bit more wind displacement to the sides near hands/arms. Perhaps Puig makes one for the st1100 as well...??

OP
OP
lsdpoet
Bike
07 ST1300
STOC #
There's also an adjustable windshield made by Madstad that some folks have been really happy with.
I have Clearviews in all of my ST1100s and have been very pleased with them.
It sort of boils down to how much do you want to spend and how quiet you want it to be.
Thanks Uncle Phil....I've had Madstads on some other bikes...they're good, but too costly for me right now.

Slydynbye

Will ride for Pie
Bike
2000 ABSII
STOC #
I have the Tall Laminar lip combo, originally thought the Cafe combo would work but it caused windshear right at my neck.
The Tall one is good but I think the right Helmet has a lot to do with noise reduction. Helmets are very specific to the users head shape.

ChriSTian_64

Site Supporter
Bike
2000 ST1100Y
STOC #
I bought my 2000 ST1100 in 2020. It has the "National Cycle" windshield on it. It is an affordable option.
They are just a bit taller than the original one. Still a bit too short for me (I'm 6 foot and 1 inch).

Few days ago, as my birthday is coming soon, I ordered a Clearview Shield, whit the Pressure Relief Vents.
I ordered the tall one.
I know they are a bit expensive, but... my wife says I deserved a threat. ;)

Last edited:

PmodelinUS

Site Supporter
Bike
1993 Honda ST1100
2024 Miles
I have a 21" clearview which punches a large hole in the wind and is very nice. That being said I found the large windscreen adversly affected the handling of the bike in windy conditions and made it actually unconfortable in sidewinds and on the highway. I replaced it with a stock like Givi with the lamar lip and couldn't be happier. Now I am 5'9" tall and like a bit of wind in my face as well. As has been said personal preference. If your interested in a Clearview with the pressure vents let me know happy to move it along.

Before got mine I read that thought yeah right your right very nosey at 60 mph.
What a rachet .spoils the ride.

Cheap Amazon clip on lip windshield extensions work fine. And are a must do add on for lots of windshields.
If you like, lots more $$ can be spent for about the same results.
Have u got link so get right one is it st 1100
Or generic motorcycle shield add on

Mondo

Site Supporter
Bike
‘22 Moto Guzzi V85TT
Many who have a Guzzi swear by the extensions. There are several manufacturers with prices ranging all over the place. Givi and Puig seem to be the favorites, and some swear by the low priced generic ones. Make sure it will fit your current screen and it may work for you.

Greg

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
Have u got link so get right one is it st 1100
Or generic motorcycle shield add on
I got this one. Works fine.
Amazon.com: Motorcycle Windshield Spoiler Extension Adjustable Clip On Windscreen Air Deflector For Yamaha TDM850 FZ1 FZ6 FZ07 FZ09 FJ09 SMV750 1200 CBF1000 CBR600RR VFR800 Smok : Automotive

I also have a MRA that bolts thru your windshield rather than clamping on. Lots more $$ though but a lot nicer.
The one linked above by Mr Computek looks interesting in that it is adjustable up and down. Not sure how well its' clamps would work.

MRA makes really nice adjustable add-on spoilers. You can set the angle and amount of flow-through (flow-under, actually) to suit.
Yes ordered that one .have no what I was doing .did wonder how well clamp idea
Works out .still noise was really annoying.
Thanks my friend thanks ever body.

Bike
ST1300
I have tried numerous screens on my pan due to noise and the wind pulling you forward due to back pressure with the screen fully extended. In the end I extended the gap at the bottom of the screen by one inch using a coping saw, half round file and wet and dry.. this seemed to allow more air up behind the screen thus reducing the noise a little and removing the pressure on my back completely
i use custom made ear plugs that are really comfortable and cut the wind noise but allow you to still hear what’s going on around you.. well worth the £80 for fitment and postage.

PhotoDoctor

Tampa Mike
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100/ST1300/Norton
For me the MadStad is so much better than anything else I've used on the ST1100 that it's worth the extra money. It's the only one I've used that I can keep below eye level and not get buffeting. The screen that came with mine is also a lot wider than stock so it does not look as streamlined as stock but works much better.

Top Bottom