Shift Points on the Tach

Bike
1991 ST1100
...The rest of the time it's all by the sound of the revs as I try to keep the engine in the power-band.
I think most folks who ride a bike or drive a standard-shift car do it by 'feel and sound'... I know that's true for me, and if I 'quote' where I shift, that's really just working backward from years of experience. I shift when it sounds like it's time to shift - depending on how I'm driving right then. If I've come to know that means X,000 RPM when being mellow and X,000 RPM when being aggressive, that's just working backward from the 'feel' of it.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
bstig60 said:
I shift between 3-4K R's minimum, anything lower will cause some pinging as the engine is short on torque at low speeds...
I haven't had that experience and routinely shift lower. Circumstances/variables affect that – terrain and if I'm in a hurry to name two.

KCJones said:
I shift by RPM.
I shift by feel and fancy.

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
My ol ST will hit 82 in second when shifted properly. Anything else isn't proper. No worries when to shift after 82 mph. YMMV.

Bike
1991 ST1100
I shift by feel and fancy.
Ditto. See my immediately-prior post... Saying "I shift by RPM" was a probably-erroneous 'short cut' for "I certainly don't shift by MPH". I really shift by feel & sound, but have come to know what RPM that means over the years.

Top Bottom