Shinko tire

Bike
St1300PA
just put a shinko raven on the rear , always ran pirellis and I have to say this tire feels great , at slower speed around turns the bike feels lighter , ill get back when mileage gets higher.

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
I had high hopes for a Shinko Raven 09 I put on the back of my NC. Some others were getting pretty good mileage out of them, but for me it turned out to be the worst of 5 different tires I've tried. No complaints on handling, just didn't last as I had hoped, getting 6478 miles before it was toast. I was hoping for more than 7500. The price was certainly a good point.

Hope you have better luck.

Bike
VFR750F, ST1300
I got over 13k-miles out of Raven 009 on my VFR. One main cause of low-mileage is over-inflation. Manual's recommendation is just corporate CYA to protect tyre manufacturers. Sure you'll never overload tyre at max-psi, but you'll lose lots of mileage and traction due to eeny-tiny contact patch. But you'll never be able to sue tyre-manufacturer because you'll have crashed and died due to no grip. Cops will just write it up as "biker going too fast for conditions". Which is actually true since you had much less grip at max-pressure.

BTW - max-psi listed on tyre is for max-load at tyre's rating for 1-hr at it's max-speed without unsafe temperature-rise (typically +195F limit). So that means 536 + 805 = 1341 lbs load on those tyres going 168mph for 1-hr!!! :eek: Unless you are doing that, there's absolutely zero need to inflate to max-pressure. I don't even think our bikes can go that fast, much less for 1-hr straight.

Last edited:

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I got over 13k-miles out of Raven 009 on my VFR. One main cause of low-mileage is over-inflation. Manual's recommendation is just corporate CYA to protect tyre manufacturers. Sure you'll never overload tyre at max-psi, but you'll lose lots of mileage and traction due to eeny-tiny contact patch. But you'll never be able to sue tyre-manufacturer because you'll have crashed and died due to no grip. Cops will just write it up as "biker going too fast for conditions". Which is actually true since you had much less grip at max-pressure.

BTW - max-psi listed on tyre is for max-load at tyre's rating for 1-hr at it's max-speed without unsafe temperature-rise (typically +195F limit). So that means 536 + 805 = 1341 lbs load on those tyres going 168mph for 1-hr!!! :eek: Unless you are doing that, there's absolutely zero need to inflate to max-pressure. I don't even think our bikes can go that fast, much less for 1-hr straight.
I used to run 34-36/36-38 on my ST because that’s what Michelin recommended back in the mid 2000s for the ST1300 but I couldn’t get relatively even wear or mileage past 6000 miles on a set of tires until I increased pressures to 38-40/40-42. No problem with grip and traction at those pressures. Michelin, Metzeler, Bridgestone I ran them all on that bike. Two track days on my ST running 30/34 cold.

Top Bottom