Ship ST to Europe?

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
My wife will have a year-long sabbatical in 2027. We'd like to trace my father's wartime path through Europe starting in Italy and ending up in Holland.
Looking at rentals but the costs are looking pretty high for a multi-week tour. Instead we're thinking about flying our ST over instead.
Wonder if anyone has done this before and what your experience was like.

Edit: based on some preliminary research it looks like air freighting a bike over is about $5100 USD return. Renting an R1250RT looks to run about $125 day for 14+ day rental so we have to have a minimum 42 day trip for shipping to even start to be more economical.

Last edited:
Bike
VStrom 650
David 2027 is a good way off and pricing could look very different then.
Make sure you include insurance and breakdown cover costs when using your own bike. Even if you can sort the insurance out and it won't be easy, the costs are likely to be high.
Any help you need just ask and where possible I'm sure the Europeans will do what they can.
I'm actually thinking of a NE England to Sicily ride next Autumn (2024) it's not definite yet but I'm hoping it'll happen. If we do it then we'll probably travel to Amsterdam on the ferry from Newcastle upon the Tyne.
Like UP says, Michael, who we've met is very knowledgeable on European issues.
Good luck and just ask if we can do anything to assist.
Upt.

OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
David 2027 is a good way off and pricing could look very different then.
Make sure you include insurance and breakdown cover costs when using your own bike. Even if you can sort the insurance out and it won't be easy, the costs are likely to be high.
Any help you need just ask and where possible I'm sure the Europeans will do what they can.
I'm actually thinking of a NE England to Sicily ride next Autumn (2024) it's not definite yet but I'm hoping it'll happen. If we do it then we'll probably travel to Amsterdam on the ferry from Newcastle upon the Tyne.
Like UP says, Michael, who we've met is very knowledgeable on European issues.
Good luck and just ask if we can do anything to assist.
Upt.
It is a long way off. At this point we're just trying to wrap our head around the options. The shipping option is definitely more complicated and likely quite costly once all the necessary taxes and insurance is included. We've rented before in the US from Eaglerider and it was really a treat. We arrived one day, I picked up the bike the next day without any issues or extra work involved.
To ship I'd have to get the bike to the airport which is a bit complicated as it a ferry trip and a drive, basically a day trip. They crate it up which is good but it basically has to be empty of gas which could be tricky to manage. Assuming we would fly the next day as I cannot imagine trying to get all of this done and fly on the same day.
As compared to renting over there where we'd fly and arrive at the rental place and ride off.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Looks like they shut down that service in 2023. But Westjet has a similar service now.
It was not available year-round. It used to be available only during the summer months of Canada and Europe, so the seasonal shut-down may have already happened.

Bike
VStrom 650
It is a long way off. At this point we're just trying to wrap our head around the options. The shipping option is definitely more complicated and likely quite costly once all the necessary taxes and insurance is included. We've rented before in the US from Eaglerider and it was really a treat. We arrived one day, I picked up the bike the next day without any issues or extra work involved.
To ship I'd have to get the bike to the airport which is a bit complicated as it a ferry trip and a drive, basically a day trip. They crate it up which is good but it basically has to be empty of gas which could be tricky to manage. Assuming we would fly the next day as I cannot imagine trying to get all of this done and fly on the same day.
As compared to renting over there where we'd fly and arrive at the rental place and ride off.
https://www.hertzride.com/en/motorcycle-rental
Available in Southern Italy.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I think you're right as the https://www.motorcycleexpress.com/rate-updates site still has Air Canada as an option.
Just as a BTW note;
The way that Air Canada priced this the very first year that it came out was that the price quoted for shipping a motorcycle also included one economy class seat for the rider. Of course, you could choose to upgrade your seat selection for the appropriate price if you so chose. There was no option of shipping the motorcycle by itself back then for some reason. I have no idea how the pricing is quoted now as I have never looked at this again since the very first year that it came out way back.

OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Just as a BTW note;
The way that Air Canada priced this the very first year that it came out was that the price quoted for shipping a motorcycle also included one economy class seat for the rider. Of course, you could choose to upgrade your seat selection for the appropriate price if you so chose. There was no option of shipping the motorcycle by itself back then for some reason. I have no idea how the pricing is quoted now as I have never looked at this again since the very first year that it came out way back.
So far as I can tell, all the carriers only quote to ship the bike. Air Canada will offer a discount if you also fly with them. Not sure if WestJet also does this.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
In my experience, the 'break even' point between rent and ship is about 4 weeks or so.
One thing to consider is what country you ship it to and from.
The customs 'requirements' and how they are enforced can make a lot of difference as to how soon you can get your bike.
It could a day or two or a week or two from what I've been told.
IIRC, there use to be a 'green card' insurance (basically just liability) available from some European countries.

OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #

Mr.E

Steve
Bike
Boss Hoss & ST1300
I imported my other bike from Pennsylvania to Southampton UK by sea using a UK shipping company. They use shipping Containers which worked out really well, they even arranged the trailering of the bike from PA to New York and customs etc.
That might be another option which might be cheaper - especially if you have time on your side?

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
Maybe get touch with Martin in Ireland at

He facilitates buying, insuring, reselling bikes for overseas people.

Another entity, based in Heidelberg, Germany is

I was going to ship my bike to Europe pre Covid with either Air Canada or Westjet. Cost was going to be about $1500 Cdn. one way. Post covid costs have gone up to about $2500 one way. Makes renting for 40 days viable at that price and you do not have the hassle of insurance, etc.

OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Maybe get touch with Martin in Ireland at

He facilitates buying, insuring, reselling bikes for overseas people.

Another entity, based in Heidelberg, Germany is

I was going to ship my bike to Europe pre Covid with either Air Canada or Westjet. Cost was going to be about $1500 Cdn. one way. Post covid costs have gone up to about $2500 one way. Makes renting for 40 days viable at that price and you do not have the hassle of insurance, etc.
Thanks for the links. The buy/resell option is attractive. My math worked out the same as yours; 39 day rental was the break even point. I haven't factored in insurance or other costs yet.

Top Bottom