Short Brake Pads

Are ST1100 replacement brake pads getting smaller? The last few sets I purchased are not long enough to fit into the retainer clips. They work but they have a tendency to flop around at times. I have bought pads from 4 different places including my local Honda dealer and they are all smaller then the original OEM pads. Any idea what's going on?

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Were any of those sets actually OEM? I would double check the part number and stick with the OEM ones.

Bike
'93 ST1100
When I replaced mine a year ago, there was a thin backing plate spacer you had to transfer over from the old pads to the new pads. (or there was an included thin spacer plate with the new brakes). Sorry, forget if it was front or rear, but is was not both. The rears fit many different Honda models, so perhaps that is it, with some needing spacer plate and other not needing it?

EDIT: looking at the rear, and it is actually 3 parts per brake pad.

http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm/Module/Main/TypeID/26/Type/Motorcycle/MakeID/1/Make/Honda/YearID/34/Year/1993/ModelID/4597/Model/ST1100A/GroupID/141597/Group/REAR_BRAKE_CALIPER

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Oldbadger, the spacer plates (metal piece with a fiber pieces sandwiched in) are for the rear brakes. Order OEM and a new set comes with. Not true for aftermarket.

I've just changed the brakes on ReSTored with EBC after market (I prefer OEM but these were cheap on the clearance table) with no problems. Are the front anti-rattle springs installed on yur calipers? (#10 in the above referenced fische.)

BTW, do ya know where The Badger State got it's name? <time out for trivia :D>

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Did my front ST1100 brakes yesterday.
The Honda OEM pads (45105-ML7-405(2) $ 60.76) did not come with a 3rd part and there wasn't a 3rd part on/with the ones I removed.

The tops tucked in to their slots and the bottom reached low enough that the pin fit...

I'd check and make sure the tops are in their slots if they 'flopped' around.

Mark

Top Bottom