Should This Be A Concern??

Bike
1994 ST1100
STOC #
While changing the fork oil, fork seals, etc, I noticed this discoloration on my right fork. Should this be a concern of any sort?

Attachments

• 968808F1-A2C8-46C0-A9A1-5973608C7AC0.jpg
    968808F1-A2C8-46C0-A9A1-5973608C7AC0.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 49
I'd have thought that is not a problem as long as the tube surface is smooth. Not sure why the tube would tarnish there but I would try a little metal polish and see if it rubs off easily.

Thank you, TerryS. I decided to take a microfiber cloth to it and it seem to remove most of it easily. Although there is a slight stain left behind, I’m not too concerned due to your thoughts.

I agree. Not to worry, Nelson. How long since the last suspension fluid change? What did the old stuff look like? Condition of the bushings?

John

Last edited:
Loki WRX YZF said:
I decided to take a microfiber cloth to it and it seem to remove most of it easily. Although there is a slight stain left behind

The microfiber cloth is a good choice.

TerryS said:
I would try a little metal polish and see if it rubs off easily.

I'd try a dab as well and would go easy too.

You could try a little stringent, like carb cleaner. I would use it sparingly, maybe spray it on the rag and then wipe with the rag. If it is just residue, it should break it up pretty quick. I would then apply a light film of oil. It isn't good for seals to hit freshly cleaned metal without lubrication.

I have bushings I could send you. Was taken out by the suspension tech when they changed em over from previous owner to me. Even tho they look new. OEM. Honda parts with very little miles.

I'd try to clean up the stain with brake cleaner. If the tube is smooth I would not worry about it.

If it's oil residue of some sort a bit of petrol on a soft cloth may shift it sharpish, put your cigarette out first.
Personally like others here I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.
Hope it helps.
Upt'North.

If bike is not already utilizing one, I suggest a decent made fork brace. That better supports the fork lowers at their topside, removing unnecessary sideloads to fork bushings and creates a more even(less cupping) front tire wear:).

Last edited:
First of all, I've never done a suspension fluid change before, and I found all of the advice and resources here very helpful, especially the Delboy's Garage video. Not to mention your tools, John. Thanks you for the loan of them!

As for the discoloration, that seemed to be all it was. The tubes are straight and smooth (except at the very top, but not so bad as to be overly concerned. Unfortunately I had no metal polish on hand, so I just went at them with the microfiber and then greased up the tops of the tubes with a swipe of silicone grease. It seemed to work out just fine.

I agree. Not to worry, Nelson. How long since the last suspension fluid change? What did the old stuff look like? Condition of the bushings?

John

I have no idea how long since the last change. I obtained the bike with approximately 33,000 miles on it, and I've added only about 900 miles since.

The old fluid smelled rancid, but I don't know if that's normal or not. The fluid in one fork was bluish/gray while the other was a deep dark gray.

The bushings actually appeared to be in good condition, but I changed them, just the same.

As of this moment, I haven't finished the job as I was pulled away from the work I started. The right fork is back together, but still needs the oil added. The left is almost back together and also still needs oil. I hope to complete the job tomorrow afternoon/evening.

I have bushings I could send you. Was taken out by the suspension tech when they changed them over from previous owner to me. Even tho they look new. OEM. Honda parts with very little miles.

I'd try to clean up the stain with brake cleaner. If the tube is smooth I would not worry about it.

Thanks, The Cheese, but I already ordered a set and have them in at this time. I truly appreciate the offer, though!

Brant; thanks for the suggestion. Although I haven't encountered any problems, I'll keep your suggestion in mind!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom