Simple tool for transferring fuel...

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
I thought I'd share a simple solution I put together to carry on my ST for transferring fuel from one bike to another. My sons and I have been involved in the R/C aircraft hobby for many years, and we've been using a small hand-crank fuel pump to fuel the aircraft. I picked up a version of the pump at the local hobby shop that's compatible with gasoline along with two 4 foot lengths of fuel line. It takes between 1-2 minutes to pump a gallon of fuel, which isn't bad at all. I like the "no batteries required" aspect of this solution. I carry it in a freezer zip-loc bag along with my Slime air compressor and tire plug kit.

Here's a link to the pump.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=HAN155

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Legoman, great idea. But there's another potential solution I've had in the back of my mind for a long time: A T in the fuel line with a valve and length of hose tucked under the Tupperware, unfurl the hose, start yur ST, turn the valve and yur a mobile fueling tanker. :D

ST = Super Tanker!!!

(Used to have one of those pumps when STrayCatt was flying RC models.)

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
On the 1300 there is a smaller line that you could put a T on with a valve. It is on the right side of the bike. The nice thing about this is that you will only get fuel from it if you have gas in the upper tank. This way you will not drop below the 2.2 gal in the lower tank. It will also provide a means to drain the upper tank should it need to be pulled for unplanned maintenance.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk.

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
One way to transfer fuel is to carry 2 pieces of fuel hose.

Put the first hose into the "donor" tank (obviously in the fuel). Second one insert into the tank into the "air cavity". Seal the cap opening around both hoses with a rag and (make the rider of the bike that went empty), blow into hose #2. The inflow of air will force fuel into the "out" hose and into the other tank. If the level of the "donor" fuel is higher than the other bike, a siphon action will have started and then in order to stop the flow, raise the hose out of the fuel on the "donor" bike. If the receiving tank is higher, continuous air pressure will be needed to transfer the fuel.

It is a little primitive I know, but it stores easily.

TomInCA

FJR Rider
Just got back from a cross country trip (7500 miles) that I took with my friend and next-door neighbor. I was on a FJR with a 6.6 gallon capacity tank, and he rode a 93 Harley Sporter with 3.1 gallons. We were about 20 miles short of Blanding Utah near Glen Canyon when he ran out in a segment of road where there was no fuel for 174 miles, and he go 153 before running out. This would have been great. I rode into Blanding and bought a 1-gallon portable fuel can and brought it back. The fuel can rode with him the rest of the trip and was used four-times. Here he is after filling up in the middle of nowhere.

OP
OP
LegoMan
Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
The primary reason I added the manual pump system is because I ride a lot with my sons. My older son rides an '06 VTX1300, and younger son an '08 Nighthawk. The humerous part of this is that the Nighthawk outranges the VTX by a long way. The VTX hits reserve around 160 miles. The Nighthawk has gone around 260 miles before having to flip the valve! My older son and I rode down to the Deals Gap area back in May. At one point, we thought for sure that he wasn't going to make it to the next gas station, wherever that was. He made it, but it left him with an uneasy feeling. I also like the idea of being able to provide aid to others stranded along the way.

As for the other's thoughts of tapping into the ST's fuel system and so forth, I have no desire to introduce additional points of failure, especially for something that might be needed once or twice a year. The little manual pump takes up a tiny bit of space, requires no electricity, and doesn't require that I tear into the ST. It can also be borrowed by one of my sons if they do a trip without me. I'm strong into engineering and love to design things from scratch, but I also believe in keeping things as simple as possible.

docw1

Bill Rankin
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
I thought I'd share a simple solution I put together to carry on my ST for transferring fuel from one bike to another. My sons and I have been involved in the R/C aircraft hobby for many years, and we've been using a small hand-crank fuel pump to fuel the aircraft. I picked up a version of the pump at the local hobby shop that's compatible with gasoline along with two 4 foot lengths of fuel line. It takes between 1-2 minutes to pump a gallon of fuel, which isn't bad at all. I like the "no batteries required" aspect of this solution. I carry it in a freezer zip-loc bag along with my Slime air compressor and tire plug kit.

Here's a link to the pump.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=HAN155
Looks a lot like this http://www.aerostich.com/cranky-pump.html

but cheaper. I carry this along. Haven't had a chance ot use it yet.

Bike
1994 ST1100
On this topic of fuel I've read about a gentleman, now sadly deceased, who fabricated and fitted a second fuel tank under the seat. I think it held 3+ gallons and went all the way back to the number plate. The write-up mentioned how well thought out the installation was and the fact that since it was fitted between the upper and lower fuel level in the main tank it filled and emptied without recourse to anything except gravity. It had a wet connection at the bottom and a dry connection at the top to allow the flow of air to replace fuel movement.
Apparently the designer was an aficionado of the Iron Butt rally which is why he designed and fitted it in the first place.
I have it in the back of my mind to do a similar job on my 94 Pan but wonder if anyone out there on t'internet has any knowledge of this installation and in particular a picture or drawing of it?

Malcolm

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
hmm, makes me feel really cheap with my naked 3ft fuel hose... remove seat, attach to fuel pump stub, fire engine and donate to the bike that ran dry...

Top Bottom