Slip on

It's been a good couple of days with my almost new 2006 ST. Clean, waxed and loved, it's now time to tinker. Searching for a more aggressive sound from the ole V4. Not at all interested in the Harley "potato-potato" sound but coming from the sport bike world (inline 4), I prefer the GP sound of a nice Leo to the AEGIS cruiser tone of the ST. I'm not looking for something to wake the town, just something to scare small dogs perhaps. Any advice most appreciated.

It's a V4 and nothing you do will make it sound like an Inline4.

To each their own, many have modified the exhaust to "improve" the sound.

Call me crazy, but the only way you can improve the sound from my bike would be to make it even quieter. That's just my opinion but I love it when a bike just whirrrrs past and the tires make more noise than the engine. Am I the only one that feels this way?

Best of luck in finding an exhause note that brings smiles to your face.

FWIW, the Stantunes sound pretty good to me too, LiveToRide is giving you no BS here (just not for me).

Two Brothers Racing has a slip on with excellent sound, to the Tune of $900.00 from Honda if you feel rich. Not much better for performance though...maybe 3-4 more HP if your lucky.

For the life of me I can't understand why anyone would pay more for more noise. Any idiot can make their bike noisier with just a drill, but why?

Most owners like the fact that the ST purrs like a cat. I just bought the Two Brothers Racing Slip On's, and although the cost is too high, I just could not get used to the quiet. I could care less what other people think, I like the sound. If I was trying to impress, I would be riding a ZX14 or a Busa.

dteel, I'm with you ....when I started looking for a bike this time my criteria was fast, smooth and quiet....the ST nailed
it and soo much more.

Like many others here, I like a quiet bike these days. In my opinion the stock was too quiet, I wanted a little more noise, NOT a lot more. I ended up with a used set of Staintunes. I am very happy with the tunes on the ST. The bike is still very quiet, but sounds better to my ear.

I was dissapointed with the stock cans, audibly and asthetically. I bought a motorcycle not a sewing machine. It's nice to actually be able to hear the rpms while playing hard in the twisties when there isn't time to look at the tach. Staintunes were the answer. They look good and sound good without being obnoxious. Besides not being obnoxious, I have found them to be polite. A little rap on the throttle now and then while splitting traffic politely lets other motorists know I'm there.

Ray

For the life of me I can't understand why anyone would pay more for more noise. Any idiot can make their bike noisier with just a drill, but why?

Why buy a ST1300 when a Vespa 250GTS will suffice? Because it's what we like. As stated I'm not looking for a loud bike but a more robust sound rather than the stock ST's. A good amount of magazine articles on the ST also complain about the mufflers. Furthermore why make such a nasty comment if you don't understand? Showing web courage is easy but how does that help the thread? Just disagree without the snide comments please.

I'll vote for the fast/silent team.I really like the steed's sound and like the way the cans look as well.I had a louder exhaust on my v-max bikes but those engines although also v-4's had a totally different sound which I also liked but the whole v-max concept is far removed from what the st13 represents.:biker:

While I like a more agressive exhaust note, with the way I ride, maximum stealth is required. I get enough tickets as it is.

Drew

The ST is not silent although fast. I'm just not getting my point across of which I apologize. I do not want a louder bike just a better (deeper?) less agricultural sound. Don't get me wrong, the ST has rekindled my love of MC riding however has anyone heard the VFR with an aftermarket can or any Ducati? It just sounds richer than ours when done right. Think of Bose VS basic speakers. The cheap speakers work but the Bose perform. Too many years on sport bikes I guess but tweaking bikes is what I enjoy. Like the ST you either get it or you don't but I do value all of your opinions. Thanks for humoring a newbie to your site.

The ST is not silent although fast. I'm just not getting my point across of which I apologize. I do not want a louder bike just a better (deeper?) less agricultural sound. Don't get me wrong, the ST has rekindled my love of MC riding however has anyone heard the VFR with an aftermarket can or any Ducati? It just sounds richer than ours when done right. Think of Bose VS basic speakers. The cheap speakers work but the Bose perform. Too many years on sport bikes I guess but tweaking bikes is what I enjoy. Like the ST you either get it or you don't but I do value all of your opinions. Thanks for humoring a newbie to your site.
I had a gear cam VFR with a 'Tune. Sounded great but I still sold it.

I like the stock pipes, stainless steel and quiet. I have had loud bikes and quiet bikes, I like them both. It is like the windshield, sometimes I like it up, sometimes I like it down. Too bad we couldn't do that with the pipes, dial them
down to quiet with a button when we come home or go out at 3am.

I like the stock pipes, stainless steel and quiet. I have had loud bikes and quiet bikes, I like them both. It is like the windshield, sometimes I like it up, sometimes I like it down. Too bad we couldn't do that with the pipes, dial them
down to quiet with a button when we come home or go out at 3am.

You pretty much just described the Staintunes. Stainless steel (inside and out) and quiet until you roll hard on the throttle. Even then not horribly loud, just healthy. Coming home quietly at 3am is no problem, no need to even push a button.

Ray

Back
Top Bottom