Slow Pokin' The Southeast

Finally managed to get out for a while yesterday afternoon. What a beautiful day for a ride. Temps in the mid 80s near home, about 10 degrees cooler once I gained some elevation. Lots of exploring and trying roads that looked interesting. Did almost 250 miles and the ST11 never missed a beat. And MAN do I love this bike with the new suspension. Wishing I could join everyone for the campout this weekend, but my wife just flew to Texas for the next 4 days, so I'm on dad duty at home...

I took the Givi top case off for the first time as well. I think the bike looks better without it. I think I may only put it back on for longer multi-day trips, but not sure... It's nice to be able to lock up my helmet if I need to go into a store or something, and I've hauled a ton of groceries in that thing... We'll see how I like living without it.

Didn't take but one picture. Too busy enjoying the road!

20220518_160519.jpg

Screenshot_20220519-130741_Maps.jpg

... It's nice to be able to lock up my helmet if I need to go into a store or something, and I've hauled a ton of groceries in that thing...

Do you know the helmet will fit in the saddle bag. Takes up about all that storage space.

My last ride before shipping my seat out to California for it to be converted to a Russell Day Long. Man, I'm gonna miss riding these next few weeks. Today was sublime. Temperature was 58° when I left the house this morning at about 8:30am. Climbed to around 70° in the mountains of Southern Virginia. Explored a lot new to me roads and had an absolute ball.

For whatever reason a lot of articles have come my way lately about the inherent dangers of motorcycles. With our recent loss of PaulCB and with other things that have happened, I am not too proud to admit I was a bit nervous when I got on the bike this morning. "What if that was the last time I ever kissed my wife goodbye?" Was the thought running through my mind as I threw a leg over and pressed the starter. Uplifting thoughts, I know... And yet, even with that nagging dread in the back of my mind I pulled out of the driveway and aimed my STead northwest toward my favorite stomping grounds.

One might think that such a state of mind would ruin an otherwise perfect ride, but the opposite held true today. A perfect ride pushed out a negative state of mind. I've said it before and I'll say it again (preaching to the choir I know), but motorcycling is a form of therapy for me. All of life's problems and concerns get pushed to the periphery as I navigate the next corner, anticipate the next apex, scan ahead for the next unexpected danger... Stress melts away. Concerns common to daily life disappear. There's no time, or need, to worry about finances, relationships, work, parenting, or anything else... It all just fades until the only thing on my mind is making certain my gear matches my speed and my line matches my ability. And if I can do that for a few hours each weekend, well that's freedom enough to justify the risk for me... I'm sure many of you feel the same.

Can't wait till the next meet up so we can all share a beer and a laugh and a carefree ride.

Screenshot_20220605-151039_Maps.jpg

20220605_111412.jpg20220605_100817.jpg

My last ride before shipping my seat out to California for it to be converted to a Russell Day Long. Man, I'm gonna miss riding these next few weeks. Today was sublime. Temperature was 58° when I left the house this morning at about 8:30am. Climbed to around 70° in the mountains of Southern Virginia. Explored a lot new to me roads and had an absolute ball.

For whatever reason a lot of articles have come my way lately about the inherent dangers of motorcycles. With our recent loss of PaulCB and with other things that have happened, I am not too proud to admit I was a bit nervous when I got on the bike this morning. "What if that was the last time I ever kissed my wife goodbye?" Was the thought running through my mind as I threw a leg over and pressed the starter. Uplifting thoughts, I know... And yet, even with that nagging dread in the back of my mind I pulled out of the driveway and aimed my STead northwest toward my favorite stomping grounds.

One might think that such a state of mind would ruin an otherwise perfect ride, but the opposite held true today. A perfect ride pushed out a negative state of mind. I've said it before and I'll say it again (preaching to the choir I know), but motorcycling is a form of therapy for me. All of life's problems and concerns get pushed to the periphery as I navigate the next corner, anticipate the next apex, scan ahead for the next unexpected danger... Stress melts away. Concerns common to daily life disappear. There's no time, or need, to worry about finances, relationships, work, parenting, or anything else... It all just fades until the only thing on my mind is making certain my gear matches my speed and my line matches my ability. And if I can do that for a few hours each weekend, well that's freedom enough to justify the risk for me... I'm sure many of you feel the same.

Can't wait till the next meet up so we can all share a beer and a laugh and a carefree ride.

Screenshot_20220605-151039_Maps.jpg

20220605_111412.jpg20220605_100817.jpg
I guess riding in boston has its advantages! Between the potholes, crowned roads and crazy curves, ive learned a lot. Crazy drivers here! But yea, riding along the Charles river or under boston harbor is a gas! Out where u live, the roads are wonderful and empty, which is really nice! Yea, therapy!

Since my new Russell Day Long seat arrived, I've gone on a couple of local backroads rides. Nothing too extensive, but I've clocked around 250-300 miles since the seat was delivered. At first I was a bit concerned that I was now sitting way too high and that the higher center of gravity was going to affect my riding. But I reminded myself that I had and entire year and 10,000 miles worth of familiarity with the old seat / riding position, so I really needed to give this one some time. And I'm glad I didn't psych myself out too much! Because boy oh boy is this seat magnificent! Admittedly, I haven't been able to ride too terribly far with it yet, but I have done about 2.5 hours without stopping and no soreness, no hot spots, no discomfort whatsoever.

I'm so glad I chose to keep the ST and upgrade the few things that needed upgrading rather than selling it to put money towards something else. The ST is just a wonderful riding machine. It's incredibly comfortable, fast enough, is more capable in the twisties than I am, and is just stone cold reliable. The same can't be said for many other bikes out there around this price range. Not to mention, just about every time I stop for gas or eat a sandwich at a scenic overlook, a stranger approaches me to either A) Tell me about his/ her ST1100 they used to own / love, or B) Ask what kind of good looking bike it is that I'm riding (Is that a miniature Gold Wing?).

Thankful for this community and can't wait for the upcoming STOCs.

20220704_130510.jpg
20220630_183229.jpg20220630_165521.jpg

Last edited:
Since my new Russell Day Long seat arrived, I've gone on a couple of local backroads rides. Nothing too extensive, but I've clocked around 250-300 miles since the seat was delivered. At first I was a bit concerned that I was now sitting way too high and that the higher center of gravity was going to affect my riding. But I reminded myself that I had and entire year and 10,000 miles worth of familiarity with the old seat / riding position, so I really needed to give this one some time. And I'm glad I didn't psych myself out too much! Because boy oh boy is this seat magnificent! Admittedly, I haven't been able to ride too terribly far with it yet, but I have done about 2.5 hours without stopping and no soreness, no hot spots, no discomfort whatsoever.

I'm so glad I chose to keep the ST and upgrade the few things that needed upgrading rather than selling it to put money towards something else. The ST is just a wonderful riding machine. It's incredibly comfortable, fast enough, is more capable in the twisties than I am, and is just stone cold reliable. The same can't be said for many other bikes out there around this price range. Not to mention, just about every time I stop for gas or eat a sandwich at a scenic overlook, a stranger approaches me to either A) Tell me about his/ her ST1100 they used to own / love, or B) Ask what kind of good looking bike it is that I'm riding (Is that a miniature Gold Wing?).

Thankful for this community and can't wait for the upcoming STOCs.

20220704_130510.jpg
20220630_183229.jpg20220630_165521.jpg

I thought it was called a “ baby wing”? Im very happy with mine. Gonna keep it till i cant hold it up anymore.

Actually the oil light (and neutral light if you look closely) are both on because we were at a standstill on the interstate, so I cut the bike off to keep from boiling myself. Where/ what is Cajun Country?
Louisiana, where the crawdads come from. Mardi grah area. Really pretty, great food and nice people.

Back
Top Bottom