So about that battery issue....

Joined
May 26, 2022
Messages
14
Age
63
Location
Nashville
Wanted some opinions on something regarding my ST1300 battery...
The one that is in it currently is going on 5 years old. No problems at all, cranks fine, no leaks, no issues BUT... I know how these things go. Its all fine until it isnt. I am considring the idea of going ahead and buying a new replacement to have on hand when this one finally tanks which could be any day now Im guessing (based on another thread where you guys were discussing how long you got out of your batteries...) I keep it on a tender when not riding but that wont prevent the inevitable..
So... buy one NOW and have it handy for the day Im going out and it wont crank.... OR... wait till it dies and THEN get a new one. My thought is... its either sitting on THEIR shelf till then, or MINE. Curious what other schools of thoughts are out there!?
 
I have only changed my battery twice on my 07 ST1300 once at five years and a little over 100,000 miles with an Antigravity battery and then again at fourteen years old and still working fine at 320,000 miles. It was hard to take out a good working battery but my piece of mind must be worth something!
 
Wanted some opinions on something regarding my ST1300 battery...
The one that is in it currently is going on 5 years old. No problems at all, cranks fine, no leaks, no issues BUT... I know how these things go. Its all fine until it isnt. I am considring the idea of going ahead and buying a new replacement to have on hand when this one finally tanks which could be any day now Im guessing (based on another thread where you guys were discussing how long you got out of your batteries...) I keep it on a tender when not riding but that wont prevent the inevitable..
So... buy one NOW and have it handy for the day Im going out and it wont crank.... OR... wait till it dies and THEN get a new one. My thought is... its either sitting on THEIR shelf till then, or MINE. Curious what other schools of thoughts are out there!?
My thought is just replace it now. Chances are your current battery wont fail you at home, it'll be out on the road somewhere on a trip. Ask me how I know. Twice "older" batteries of failed on me when Im out. Probably why besides changing them out every 4 years, I always carry a Noco jumper now just for insurance.
 
I wouldn't buy a battery to put on a shelf...unless it was a dry charged type and came with acid electrolyte. The dry batteries have a virtually infinite (well, not really, but for all practical purposes) shelf life. Having had a battery die at a gas station on my way to an STOC event, I'd suggest you either swap it out now or carry a jump pack with you every time you go out. When my battery would not start the bike, I was in a small town with (probably) no bike batteries nearby. After waiting 15 minutes, the bike started and I made it to the event where I borrowed a jump pack. I used that half a dozen times that weekend to start the bike.

When my car battery died in a small town on a 'one tank trip' with my wife, I paid double for a new battery at the only auto parts store in town (double what I would have paid in Cleveland). Take your pick.
 
My last battery change on our 2006 was just over 5 years. I washed the bike up right after a trip and checked everything. My receipts showed I bought the battery just a week over five years. Same week, I hopped on the bike to run some errands and .....nothing. I've gotten no warning on either of our ST's batteries. They've been just fine to nothing, literally at the turn of a switch.
 
Thats how these new batteries act. Start fine. Next stop, nothing. At least thats how mine have behaved. On one it started at home. Rode up to mc shop for something, started fine when I left there. Went to a gas station to fill up, went to start it to leave and nothing.
 
You’re worrying about it. That should be enough to make the decision.

Don’t buy a battery to store. They deteriorate and have a shelf life. There is a code on the case or on the box which reveals the ‘sell by’ date which shouldn’t be exceeded. Sorry, I don’t remember the detail - but I had the same dilemma at about 6 years and started looking for one and found that info. I just bought a new battery - no point in worrying when the old one will let you down and then have to rush to find a new one. Fit the new, put the old one on the shelf and use it for testing and dispose of two years later when you realise you’ve kept it charged and never used it !

In the Uk battery suppliers have to sell them ‘wet’. They are not allowed to sell them with the acid to put in yourself.
 
Thanks for all the input guys, very helpful! I like the idea of carrying a jumper box but since I dont have one and it looks like a good one of those is almost as much as a battery... prob just going to opt for the battery and relax about it for the next year or few.
Looking at batteries... anyone have expereince with the lithium ion type? Looks interesting anyway.
Also, any suggetstions about purchasing new battery? Any certain brand, type, online or local? Been a LONG time since I bought one and sure that the terrain has shifted since then!
Thanks again!
 
Looking at batteries... anyone have expereince with the lithium ion type? Looks interesting anyway.
Also, any suggetstions about purchasing new battery? Any certain brand, type, online or local? Been a LONG time since I bought one and sure that the terrain has shifted since then!
There have been a number of threads about lithium batteries. Do a search and read them. I like Yuasa for pb-acid. They tend to be expensive.....
 
Looking at batteries...
Don't be surprised if you don't see many threads on any particular subject Li batteries being one of them. After the rifst in the space-time continuum a lot of data was lost. You may find what you're looking for. Or not. Good luck.
 
Looking at batteries... anyone have expereince with the lithium ion type?
I'm quite happy with NOCO NLP14 LiFePO4, 4Ah, 500CCA in the '00 ST and ze GF's NT700VA (where any conventional battery always struggled to turn over that V twin... 🤔)


In the '94 ST I went with a DEESPAEK DS-14-BS LiFePO4, 9Ah, 520CCA...

They pack a lot of punch, stable voltage while cranking, hence clean spark and prompt firing...

You will need a charger designed for LiFePO4 though... NOCO GENIOUS5 for me...

A for me valuable benefit: in case those batteries do run dry, they're fully re-charged within only 30~45 minutes...
 
I'm quite happy with NOCO...
The whole NOCO line of kit is pretty impressive. Another member went in big in their kit. I really like the integration between the bike/battery/charger-tender/jump starter.

It's a little pricey to start with but considering the well thought out integration of everything — it's quickly water under the bridge.
 
Last edited:
I would put a volt meter across it
I just use my charger connection cable
10 minutes after shutting it off (new) Ive got 12.8
switched on I have 11.6 for twenty seconds then cranking Ive got 10.15
Two and a half years later I'm 12.7 initially after sitting for about twenty hours
11.8 for the twenty seconds (with my left side low beam burnt out) and 9.8 cranking
That's at 75 ambient with a 230 CCA battery
When it starts to get closer to even 9.2 Ill replace it
 
Back
Top Bottom