So this happened last week......

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
Another Fan here. I have a R1200RS. The more I ride it the more I like it. I still have the ST in the garage. But it spends more and more time on the battery tender. My Tiger is still the most fun to ride though.
Enjoy your new toy.

OP
OP
veefore

veefore

See you at my intervention!
Bike
15' BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Another Fan here. I have a R1200RS. The more I ride it the more I like it. I still have the ST in the garage. But it spends more and more time on the battery tender. My Tiger is still the most fun to ride though.
Enjoy your new toy.
You have a beautiful machine,loved the RS but my Wife's seal of approval was all I needed to hear.

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
You have a beautiful machine,loved the RS but my Wife's seal of approval was all I needed to hear.
I fully understand. Judy doesn’t ride with me or I would have gone with an RT. I actually went to buy an RT when I came across the RS. I do wish I had the extra fuel range that the RT has. I’ve come pretty close to having to go for a walk a couple of times. Gas mileage tends to drop when cruising at higher speeds. But it is oh so smooth.
I hope the two of you enjoy your new ride.

OP
OP
veefore

veefore

Bike
15' BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I fully understand. Judy doesn’t ride with me or I would have gone with an RT. I actually went to buy an RT when I came across the RS. I do wish I had the extra fuel range that the RT has. I’ve come pretty close to having to go for a walk a couple of times. Gas mileage tends to drop when cruising at higher speeds. But it is oh so smooth.
I hope the two of you enjoy your new ride.
Thanks, I feel pretty fortunate to have had a 1600 mile test ride in a variety of conditions as well as two up. Can't wait to put some miles on it.

Thanks, I feel pretty fortunate to have had a 1600 mile test ride in a variety of conditions as well as two up. Can't wait to put some miles on it.
That was a really good way to test a bike before you decided to buy. Most any bike feels ok on a quick test drive at the dealership and you can do all research all you want, but there is nothing like an extended " test drive" like you did.

OP
OP
veefore

veefore

Bike
15' BMW R1200RT
STOC #
That was a really good way to test a bike before you decided to buy. Most any bike feels ok on a quick test drive at the dealership and you can do all research all you want, but there is nothing like an extended " test drive" like you did.
Couldn't agree more, I sought out an RT to rent because I was intrigued by it. I have done demos locally but a half hour doesn't tell the whole story.

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
Years ago, I rented a R1200RT (in 2008) and FJR1300 (in 2009) from Colorado Tour Bike- excellent experience with that company. Anyway, I did like the BMW and I’m sure they’re a bit better these days. The seat was a little high from what I’m used to but overall I really liked the BMW (also enjoyed the FJR). You have a really nice bike- enjoy and be safe!

treemuncher

Vegetation Terrorist
Bike
'07 ST1300A
STOC #
Thanks! I need to learn to speak German, LOL
No, all you need to do is play German rock music, especially when riding the twisties. The Scorpions works but Rammstein, Accept or Lucifer's Friend will make you want to twist that right hand through the corners while tapping your toes!

Loving my GSA. It's got the range of the ST1300 with the ergonomics of the Super Tenere with more power and better economy than either. It just eats tires faster than anything else I've owned.

I am really curious what made you make the jump? I like you have had an 1100 and now 13 for going on 11 yrs with a combined 100000 miles on them. Except the da.. thermostats on the 13 they have been anvil tough and reliable. BUT, I love the look of the RT and the wife's last 3 cars have been Beemrs. I am concerned about the maint on them and drive shaft issues you here about.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Phil

OP
OP
veefore

veefore

Bike
15' BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I am really curious what made you make the jump? I like you have had an 1100 and now 13 for going on 11 yrs with a combined 100000 miles on them. Except the da.. thermostats on the 13 they have been anvil tough and reliable. BUT, I love the look of the RT and the wife's last 3 cars have been Beemrs. I am concerned about the maint on them and drive shaft issues you here about.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Phil
Like I said.....greener pastures? I'm not sure....but I do feel that Honda has abandoned this segment and feels folks will just shift to their latest offerings. I'm 5'-8", adventure bikes don't appeal to me at all and I spent a week on a trip with a friend riding a 2018 Wing....not for me.
Nothing but reliable miles on my 1100 and 13 but I find the character of the boxer motor a lot of fun. A ton of features, ABS,ride modes, great handling. The reduction in weight and the ESA suspension are incredible......I could go on.
There's plenty to be skeptical about with the BMW too but I'm at a stage in my life where I was ready for a change so I took the leap. It literally was a deal I couldn't refuse.....

Last edited:
OP
OP
veefore

veefore

Bike
15' BMW R1200RT
STOC #
No, all you need to do is play German rock music, especially when riding the twisties. The Scorpions works but Rammstein, Accept or Lucifer's Friend will make you want to twist that right hand through the corners while tapping your toes!

Loving my GSA. It's got the range of the ST1300 with the ergonomics of the Super Tenere with more power and better economy than either. It just eats tires faster than anything else I've owned.
250 miles so far and It's awesome.........yes.....Rammstein........

OP
OP
veefore

veefore

Bike
15' BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Years ago, I rented a R1200RT (in 2008) and FJR1300 (in 2009) from Colorado Tour Bike- excellent experience with that company. Anyway, I did like the BMW and I’m sure they’re a bit better these days. The seat was a little high from what I’m used to but overall I really liked the BMW (also enjoyed the FJR). You have a really nice bike- enjoy and be safe!
Great experience with Bill, I'd rent from him again.

Top Bottom