Sold a great machine; hope I bought a great machine

Good idea, jfheath. Copied below is everything I wrote on the BMW forum after the 1st shakedown ride:

Posted yesterday at 11:48 AM
Background: For the last 11 years and 48+K, my only ride has been a Honda ST1300, a smooth, comfortable, heavy, ultra-reliable machine. It sold very quickly, and as the new owner trailered it off, I realized it had been my favorite of 6 motorcycles over a total of 25 years of riding. With a mix of hope and confidence, I trust this new 2018 RT will be my new #1.

So yesterday, with snow melted, I took the RT out for a short shakedown cruise. [On the maiden ride from dealer to home over the Oregon Cascades summit in January, I was too focused on hurrying to beat nightfall and freezing temps to analyze ride qualities] .

So here are initial impressions in random order. Questions come at the end.

1—Super light clutch pull, coupled with smooth positive shifts [ except for the issue in #8 ]
2—Nice mellow note of the Akrapovic exhaust
3—Trying to make friends with the rider’s seat and not succeeding. Rich’s Saddles in Albany, OR, will likely gain a customer.
4—Mirrors work as I remember from my 1150. When a bright blur shows up, I just pull in the clutch and the headlights behind come into focus
5—Convenient turn indicator switch, though I know others miss the paddles
6—Dealer-supplied Metzeler Z8 Roadtecs turn in smooth and easy and hold the line nicely in longer sweepers
7—Fast and powerful. Even staying below recommended 5K, it pulls hard. Moreover, it feels fast, maybe due to the exhaust and the big-twin thrum--especially compared to the ST1300, which was so deceptively smooth
it was always 80 mph in 3rd before I knew it.
8—As a practicer of smooth shifts, 2nd gear is a challenge to me in Road mode. If I ease off just a bit, the bike slows abruptly. A bit more throttle makes the front end scary light. I’ll pass on ever trying the Dynamic mode.
I assume I’ll eventually find the sweet spot
9—Beautiful dash and instrument layout. The analog tach and speedo look and work great.
10—Naming the envelope slots on the fairing by the term “compartments” is imaginative wordplay.
11—Farkles ordered so far: MachineArtMoto fender extender and OEM cylinder protectors.
12—Future farkles: LED lights—Brake flashy thingy—barbacks—grips--seat . . .

QUESTIONS:
1--Does this RT have automatic turn signal cancellation? Or does the machine need to go down the road a long while after turning before it cancels ?

2—Has anyone replaced the grips? I miss the old BMW grips. I even bought them aftermarket for my ST. https://www.actionathletesupply.com/products/ariete-road-bmw-125mm-ring-grip-for-multicontroller-and-heated-grips?variant=6978402222122

3--Does anyone regularly mount/dismount by stepping on the left footpeg? OR is the side stand too fragile for such use over time? [My clunky boots, coupled with my short inseam and lack of flexibility will scuff the bags]

4—Has anyone changed the front turn sigs to running lights? My nagging worry about lighting is to make sure any changes do not impact the warranty for the alternator.

All answers and comments appreciated. TIA
I had the ST1300 for 7 years, goodbike great memories. I switched to BMW IN 2012 and hav not looked back. Had a K16 GTL that had zero problems. Traded for a 2018 RT back in November. You won’t miss the ST. Yes the turn signals self cancel. I installed grip puppies on mine. Can’t help you on the side stand thing as I am 6’ , but with a firm surface you should be ok. I did the turn signal thing on the K16 but not on the RT. You should have shift assist pro. The RT transmission changed in 17 and shifts really good now . The assist pro works good from 3 to 4,4 to 5 and 5to6. 1 to 2 & 2 to 3 not recommended. Here are things I have done to my RT.....Sargent seat,fender ext, grip puppies, engine bars, fish eye mirror add ons, side stand foot pad and Clearwater Kristas under the mirrors,Darlas on the forks with yellow covers and Billie brake light. Clearwater’s ez to install. Ride the RT you won’t miss the ST.

Bike
2016 FJR1300 ES
I can relate to all this - sold my beloved 2007 ST 1300 a year ago. It's always a bit strange to watch the bike disappear into the sunset, but you'll get over it, especially if you have a new toy that can take you to some amazing places. I switched to a 2016 FJR 1300 - mainly because I wanted something more modern with more buttons/toys to play with. The fact that my FJR is more powerful and is as reliable as the ST, makes it a joy to ride - I look forward to every ride on it, and never really miss my old ST - but it'll always have a sweet spot in my heart. I do like to visit this forum every day though - so there's that...

OP
OP
BendBill
Bike
2007 ST 1300
STOC #
Questions

-4. I've not read of anyone doing that nor of a device that reconfigures that feature. You are aware that the lights (all electrical components) are on a CanBUS system? Best bet is to add auxiliary LED lights using a HEX EZCAN or Clearwater CANopener or similar.
iP6_5229a BMW R1200RT with new 20W ADVMonster LED fog lights.jpg
Wow, your lights look great. I'll remember to use a BUS-system when the time comes. And yes, I do have SAP. Thanks for your replies on other matters
And to others: thanks for the notes that I'll really like the RT

Last edited:
Bike
2007 ST1300
I'm still hoping Honda comes up with a new ST with the styling of the new GW------:biggrin:

That BMW looks good -- keep us posted on performance and reliability.

ST-venture

Randy Frank
Site Supporter
Bike
2018 GW Tour DCT
2024 Miles
STOC #
You should love your RT, I know I did. I only sold it and got the new Wing because of maintenance costs, the 3 year warranty was running out and my love of the DCT of the Wing. When I bought the Wing I also added the 5 years of extra unlimited mileage warranty. So I now have 8 years, unlimited miles.

Top Bottom