Sold ST purchased K1600GT

FL-STrider

Roughing it smoothly
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
While I haven't been a really active member I do check in every so often just to see what is going on. I sold my bike and told the new owner what a great site this is. I wish I could have kept my ST but I just didn't have the room to store it along with my new bike. After 14 years of basically trouble free enjoyment I decided to jump ship and try a Germany bike. The K1600GT is similiar to the ST just a helluva lot more options that are all CANBUS driven. :-( I knew going in this was going to be an really expensive bike to own and I do have an extended warranty. My biggest likes so far are the cruise control, hill start control and the central locking system. My biggest dislike is the drive by wire throttle. It doesn't feel connected sort of out of sync with my inputs. I also miss terribly the side pockets the ST offered in it fairing area. Those are super handy to have. The removable GPS is sort of cool for bringing in your hotel room at night. It offers a whole lot of functionality but I'm struggling to learn Basecamp which I must learn if I plan on traveling out west. I have had the bike just over 6 weeks now and I have 1700 miles on it already. I took it up to Georgia from Florida before the weather turned cold. At a constant 70 mph I averaged 44mpg and the 1600 has a 7 gallon capacity and like the ST it likes to drink the expensive champagne. One final nitpick is fueling the bike. BMW has installed a tube that extends down about 3-4 inch once you open the gas cap. When fuelling the bike the fuel like to spit out. I've tried different techniques but found the best way to prevent this is to just go slowly. I found the ESA Road setting to be too soft for my liking at speed. Around town I don't mind it set on ROAD but on the highway DYNAMIC makes the bike feel much more stabble especially if it's windy. The engine is exceptionally smooth and it pulls like a frieght train. The bike like the ST sheds it weight once under way and it handles really well for it's size.

dr1954

Rick
Bike
=6= F800gs
Enjoy your new ride. Be sure to join the K1600forum.com. Some good info there about an outfit that will do a reflash on the newer bike's ECU to make the throttle response like the older bikes. Search for Bren tuning.

Bike
VStrom 650
:shout1: sold your ST have ya. Hmmmmmm.
Enjoy your new 16, awesome large bit of Motorsiccle I'm sure. You've obviously thought about it by putting it on an extended warranty, both wise and astute.
Just one thing though the handle, Krider isn't half as cool:biggrin:.
Upt'North.

Bike
VStrom 650
Enjoy your new ride. Be sure to join the K1600forum.com. Some good info there about an outfit that will do a reflash on the newer bike's ECU to make the throttle response like the older bikes. Search for Bren tuning.
Rick, this is not or neither is it meant to develop into an anti BMW post. They make good things, there I've said it. In fact there's a white BMW SUV parked on my drive and very nice it is too. But why and how can any manufacturer release a product where the fueling is rubbish. I may be exaggerating. But less than great. This seems to effect the motorcycle world more than car people, is it just motorcycle people are more picky?
Hope you are enjoying the 16, I've always enjoyed straight 6 motors, GM used to have a straight 6, 3 Litre in Europe, what a motor. I digress.
Upt'North.

OP
OP
FL-STrider

FL-STrider

Roughing it smoothly
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
Rick, this is not or neither is it meant to develop into an anti BMW post. They make good things, there I've said it. In fact there's a white BMW SUV parked on my drive and very nice it is too. But why and how can any manufacturer release a product where the fueling is rubbish. I may be exaggerating. But less than great. This seems to effect the motorcycle world more than car people, is it just motorcycle people are more picky?
Hope you are enjoying the 16, I've always enjoyed straight 6 motors, GM used to have a straight 6, 3 Litre in Europe, what a motor. I digress.
Upt'North.
I drive a Lexus IS300 with a straight 6 cyclinder and it is a really nice engine. It would be a bit thirsty for the UK market given your petrol prices over there and it's need of premium fuel.

OP
OP
FL-STrider

FL-STrider

Roughing it smoothly
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
Thanks for the info, greatly appreciated

OP
OP
FL-STrider

FL-STrider

Roughing it smoothly
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
:shout1: sold your ST have ya. Hmmmmmm.
Enjoy your new 16, awesome large bit of Motorsiccle I'm sure. You've obviously thought about it by putting it on an extended warranty, both wise and astute.
Just one thing though the handle, Krider isn't half as cool:biggrin:.
Upt'North.
My new handle is FL-GTrider

Bike
2016 FJR1300 ES
Upt'North.
I also struggled initially with fueling my new FJR...it has sort of a small tube/ring which is annoying. The ST is so darn easy to fill up, and I don't understand why you want to complicate it by adding all sorts of obstructions. Anyway - I have gotten somewhat used to it by now (after 9 months), but it still takes me longer to add 6 gallons into the FJR than it did filling up the ST. I really like the fact that the FJR takes regular and is about 6% more fuel efficient compared to my old ST...

skipcurt

Skip
Bike
'18 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
Congrats on the new ride! I love the look and sound of the K1600 and it's on my short list for replacing the ST when the time comes. I just really worry about the cost of ownership compared to the ST or an FJR.

Skip

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I also struggled initially with fueling my new FJR...it has sort of a small tube/ring which is annoying. The ST is so darn easy to fill up, and I don't understand why you want to complicate it by adding all sorts of obstructions. Anyway - I have gotten somewhat used to it by now (after 9 months), but it still takes me longer to add 6 gallons into the FJR than it did filling up the ST. I really like the fact that the FJR takes regular and is about 6% more fuel efficient compared to my old ST...
The Super Ten and the Tracer have that same annoying thing... I used a punch and added a couple holes on the upper right side to allow air to be released while I was filling it up... may only be a few extra ounces but after having an ST... not many bikes give you that nice range so you scrounge for what you can.

Bike
2000 ST1100
I know a guy who has a 2015 BMW GT 1600. He just ordered a 2019 because it has all the new improvements. He told me the greatest thing about his bike is that 6 cylinder smooth bore engine. No one faults you for defecting.....serves Honda right for not listening to us while we begged for a new Honda sport tourer. Heck I might be joining you soon as my choices are limited....anyway Congradulations.

Bike
2000 ST1100
Congrats on the new ride! I love the look and sound of the K1600 and it's on my short list for replacing the ST when the time comes. I just really worry about the cost of ownership compared to the ST or an FJR.

Skip
Cost of ownership will merit some more coin such as the 18K maintenance which calls for a valve inspection. A cool Grand is whats normally required. Still remember you only live once and you don't want to be on your last leg lying in a nursing home thinking man I should bought that bike;).

skipcurt

Skip
Bike
'18 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
Cost of ownership will merit some more coin such as the 18K maintenance which calls for a valve inspection. A cool Grand is whats normally required. Still remember you only live once and you don't want to be on your last leg lying in a nursing home thinking man I should bought that bike;).
I hear ya. I wonder what the incidence rate is of the valves being out. Honda speaks of valve inspections but as we all know the ST is rarely out. As I get older I am loosening up on the want/need syndrome but there's nothing worse than regret when it comes to owning something that's turned out to be dreadful.

Skip

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
Congratulations on your new K1600!

I made the switch from a much loved 2005 ST1300A to KBiK, my 2015 BMW K1600GTS back in March 2015. We now have over 73,000 awesome miles together.

I just love the K1600 engine which is great for limitless touring, but will make sure you are very awake in the twisties! All that horsepower and torque really eats up rear tires so expect to change out your rear every 8K miles.

I blew past the OEM warranty going up to Alaska in 2016 and purchased an extended warranty just like I had on the ST1300.
I have had the following failures that have all been replaced under warranty:
- Starter Sprague Clutch
- Rear TPMS sensor
- Electric Fan (Riding the dirt roads in Alaska killed it)

The only complaint I have about the K1600 is the radiator gets clogged and the bike tends to overheat. You need to keep the radiator as clean as possible, especially if riding in steep mountains in the summer.

+1 on the K1600 Forum. Lots of great information, but stay on this forum if you like participating in the rides.

Servicing the K16 has been no more expensive than the ST over the also six years I had mine. The valve inspection is the only difference since a lot guys that still own the ST can do it or find a shade tree tech/ buddy do it. If you do your service ( change oil & filter ) you can knock a big chunk out of valve inspection service. I have not heard of any valves being out of spec. Heck someone I know has had his K for 5 years and has not his valves checked. Yes BMW messed with throttle on the 2018’s. Don’t know why but there is difference coming off of a stop. After your rolling all is good though. Removing wheels from the K is super easy. You can have both front and rear wheels off on the K and still be working on one on the ST. Don’t get me wrong the ST was a great bike in its day but Honda just gave up on it. One can’t say that about BMW. If K16 is too much for you look at the BMW R1200RT also a great bike as seen by a number guys here on the forum that have them now. Don’t be afraid of wading into the BMW waters.

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
I still own my 2007 ST1300. But I have a 2016 R1200RS and a 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XCX in the garage also. They would not be in my garage if Honda would build a bike I wanted. 95,000 trouble free miles out of my ST. But it is so far behind what my newer bikes have to offer. I don’t regret buying either one of them. My poor DR650 does not get much attention at all anymore.
All of them have been good to me. Don’t be afraid of change.
The more I ride my BMW, the more I like it. My Triumph is still my favorite bike though. But I enjoy all of them for different reasons.

Top Bottom