Sound of silence...

STooRay

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300
Just bought Bose QC20 active noise cancelling earbuds.

They are old school and not bluetooth, but that can be fixed...
Just came back from a two hour test ride in heavy :wind1:wind, and man what a difference!

I usually ride with silicone earbuds, and windscreen (Slipscreen) set at 3/4 up.
Noise level in my subjective opinion, is now at 50% compared to the above.
I can even ride with my screen all the way down without going deaf.

You do not have to connect the QC20 to your phone, but if you do, you will be delighted that you can listen to even very soft/quiet jazz or classic or whatever, and still be able to hear the details. (I tested it with Henrik Lindstrand album called Leken).

To be able to take advantage of my Schubert helmets bluetooth for gps, phone og communication, I soldered off the built in speakers, took a 1,5 yard 3.5mm extension cord and cut off the male plug, soldered the former speakerwiring to this, and now can connect the QC20 to the helmet. Sound quality just as good as with direct to phone connection.

There was an occational pop when my helmet was shaken in buffeting gusts, but not annoying.
With built-in speakers removed, I did not experience any ear-pressure more than with silicone earbuds.

Bose has newer product wireless and bluetooth, but I read somewhere the noisereduction for wind is better on the old ones.
Stu238601238602238603

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
How do you get your helmet over those? I can't get my RF1200 over my custom Westones, well I can but tear my ear when taking it off! The Splugs type is all I can wear comfortably.

OP
OP
STooRay

STooRay

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300
How do you get your helmet over those? I can't get my RF1200 over my custom Westones, well I can but tear my ear when taking it off! The Splugs type is all I can wear comfortably.
I just widen the helmet a bit as I drag it down, it is a little flexible.
Not a problem for me, and I think my head is quite round...
And with the speakers remowed from the helmet, no pressure.

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
I don't have NC headphones or ear plugs but I've tried a set of Beats NC headphones and the NC function is amazing. With music playing you're totalled isolated from your surroundings, almost like being in a vacuum, from a sound perspective.

So, don't know how your Bose NC earplugs compare to above but are you still able to hear traffic, horns etc... in the background when these are on? If not. I'd be a little concerned about things happening around you that you'd be completely unaware of until something bad happened.

As an aside I use 32db foam plugs and then a Scala to play music. Works well for me and I can still hear traffic, ect.

OP
OP
STooRay

STooRay

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300
I don't have NC headphones or ear plugs but I've tried a set of Beats NC headphones and the NC function is amazing. With music playing you're totalled isolated from your surroundings, almost like being in a vacuum, from a sound perspective.

So, don't know how your Bose NC earplugs compare to above but are you still able to hear traffic, horns etc... in the background when these are on? If not. I'd be a little concerned about things happening around you that you'd be completely unaware of until something bad happened.

As an aside I use 32db foam plugs and then a Scala to play music. Works well for me and I can still hear traffic, ect.
Can still hear traffic and sounds, engine now sounds like a electric motor....

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #

Deaf people can drive so if you are still watching your surroundings you will be ok.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I haven't done a survey or any scientific research on this but I believe that deaf people tend not to listen to music.
I see them quite often at the St Louis Symphony. Okay.. maybe they don't listen as much as they feel it. Last week at the Sting charity concert for Variety Club, had a whole section, two interpreters in front that looked pretty tired after a few songs.

Last edited:

steve3b3

Retired
Bike
2018 GoldWing
fwiw, If you hear a small "poof" sound from the earbuds, that's the compressor kicking in.
when the size of the signal becomes too large the earbud amp changes the gain so as to not hit the supply voltage.
When I worked for Bose, I borrowed a set to try on my ride to work on the Vstrom. The wind noise was such that I didn't make it to the Mass Pike before removing them, because of the near constant earbud noise. When I spoke with one of the designers, he told me what was happening, after I described the noise.

Steve

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
How do you get your helmet over those? I can't get my RF1200 over my custom Westones, well I can but tear my ear when taking it off!
Wonder if it's the fit of the helmet? I love using my ES60's and they don't rub under my Nolan. They fit better then the custom made silicone plugs I had molded.

My ears don't seem to fit the generic earbud shapes too well, but I did get a pair of the QC35, over the ear style, and love 'em on plane flights. Years ago I worked fir a Bose dealer (pro-Bose stuff is decent for environmental challenging areas) and bought a pair of the first generation noise canceling phones. I wasn't too impressed. The latest generations work much nicer. Mid and upper freqs aren't well blocked, but lower end is wonderfully suppressed. With the demise of the tail engine'd jets I find myself sitting in the noisy section of planes more often and liking the Bose phones.

Bike
2002 ST1300A
STOC #
I came to this thread to post similar.

With the best will in the world, I look around while riding/driving/walking/swimming/etc... but I'm also human, and sometimes I get lost in the moment. I like the ability to hear traffic nearby. I ride with a flip-lid (with decent wind noise protection) and a PackTalk Bold. The audio level is enough to distract me from the low-level wind noise.

Of course, horses for courses... other people might prefer to ride in silence (or, if deaf etc, might not have a choice in the matter).

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Noice cancellation (which means active cancellation not passive isolation) doesn't cancel all noise nor does it cancel most noise. It works on steady state sounds that don't tend to very in volume or frequency.

The earphones' electronics need to calculate and measure the incoming sounds and produce a 180º out phase to cancel (realistically - reduce) incoming sound. And it can't do that for every sound and fast enough for transient sounds.

In reality you may be able to hear needed sounds better with them than with earplugs or IEC buds or helmet speakers. Because of active cancelation source volume can be lower than when competing with helmet noise and traffic din. A siren or MACK truck's horn will make themselves known when you cut them off listening to Steppenwolf so no worries.

Those little Bose might be worth a look but they're corded. If that box came off and they were connected to a Sena's earbud port that could work well.

larryg

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
I wear wired earbuds, and glasses. This lets my Shoei Neotec go on and off smoothly over both:

Highly recommended!

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
I wear wired earbuds, and glasses. This lets my Shoei Neotec go on and off smoothly over both:

Highly recommended!
I wear wired earbuds and glasses too. Have for years. Never had a problem with my old Shoei RF or with my Arai Quantum. But my custom molded Westone CR1's cause major problems in my new Shoei. I got the cheap Splug knockoffs and my problem has been solved. There is no way I can get my new helmet on or off with anything that sticks out of my ears at all.

Bike
2010 ST1300

There was an occational pop when my helmet was shaken in buffeting gusts, but not annoying.
I've had mine for a few years now. I found the 'pop' just short of painful when I reached the sweet spot behind a semi where the wind buffeting was maximum. I also found it objectionable if the car door was slammed when I was wearing them.
fwiw, If you hear a small "poof" sound from the earbuds, that's the compressor kicking in.
when the size of the signal becomes too large the earbud amp changes the gain so as to not hit the supply voltage.
When I spoke with one of the designers, he told me what was happening, after I described the noise.Steve
Good to know. I thought the circuitry was maxing out and the pop was the equivalent of speakers popping when you turned on a big audio amp (well, years ago this happened).
I haven't done a survey or any scientific research on this but I believe that deaf people tend not to listen to music.
Why not? John, you are usually sooooooo thorough....:rofl1:

STOC #

Highly recommended!
Interesting! I've tried to put my Arai on with earbuds in with no luck. The ST is quiet enough with the windshield up but with the Busa and Tuono, I can barely tell what song is playing. I will try that. Thanks!

AJMeister

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Goldwing DCT
I have been looking at these Bose ear buds but at that price point I can almost get custom ear plugs with built in buds.

Currently I am using Mee Pro ear buds that will passively reduce noise with the provided foam pieces but I find that when putting my HJC CL17 helmet on and especially over time that they will not stay in my ears so the noise reduction and base sound are minimal. How well do the Bose buds stay in? Do you think the sound is much better than with custom ear plugs? I would hate to buy the Bose buds just to find out that they will not securely stay in my ears either. I would like to believe that the fit and noise reduction would be best with the custom ones but wonder about the sound quality.

On a separate note with my Sena Evo 20S is it possible to use bluetooth buds and still have the ability to use bluetooth to connect my iphone and also maintain the intercom functionality? Maybe foam plugs with the Sena speakers is still the best solution even though the sound is not that great?

OP
OP
STooRay

STooRay

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300
I have been looking at these Bose ear buds but at that price point I can almost get custom ear plugs with built in buds.

Currently I am using Mee Pro ear buds that will passively reduce noise with the provided foam pieces but I find that when putting my HJC CL17 helmet on and especially over time that they will not stay in my ears so the noise reduction and base sound are minimal. How well do the Bose buds stay in? Do you think the sound is much better than with custom ear plugs? I would hate to buy the Bose buds just to find out that they will not securely stay in my ears either. I would like to believe that the fit and noise reduction would be best with the custom ones but wonder about the sound quality.

On a separate note with my Sena Evo 20S is it possible to use bluetooth buds and still have the ability to use bluetooth to connect my iphone and also maintain the intercom functionality? Maybe foam plugs with the Sena speakers is still the best solution even though the sound is not that great?
Only short rides for me so far, max 3 hours, but the buds stays in place.
I think the sound quality is good, much better than my sons wireless Apple buds ( but please don`t tell him..).
As to Sena and bluetooth comms, I know nothing...

Bike
2007 ST1300 "Silby"
STOC #

They are old school and not bluetooth, but that can be fixed...
Just came back from a two hour test ride in heavy :wind1:wind, and man what a difference!

I usually ride with silicone earbuds, and windscreen (Slipscreen) set at 3/4 up.
Noise level in my subjective opinion, is now at 50% compared to the above.
I can even ride with my screen all the way down without going deaf.

You do not have to connect the QC20 to your phone, but if you do, you will be delighted that you can listen to even very soft/quiet jazz or classic or whatever, and still be able to hear the details. (I tested it with Henrik Lindstrand album called Leken).

To be able to take advantage of my Schubert helmets bluetooth for gps, phone og communication, I soldered off the built in speakers, took a 1,5 yard 3.5mm extension cord and cut off the male plug, soldered the former speakerwiring to this, and now can connect the QC20 to the helmet. Sound quality just as good as with direct to phone connection.

With built-in speakers removed, I did not experience any ear-pressure more than with silicone earbuds.

Bose has newer product wireless and bluetooth, but I read somewhere the noisereduction for wind is better on the old ones.
Stu238601238602238603
Very cool idea, I have been thinking of replacing my helmet speakers with ear buds, like the idea of using the noise canceling type!

Top Bottom