Sounds normal? (for sale video, want second opinion)

Bike
2000 ST1100A
removed the video now it has sold

Hi folks. I'm curious to hear from owners what they think of the sound of the above short for sale video.
Almost sounds like there is a slight knocking noise? But I'm not sure, anyone have any idea if that's common/normal or if I'm hearing things.

Last edited:
It actually sounds good to me, especially with the aftermarket exhaust.

The idle sounds a bit slow to me; we didn't hear it idle after revving it.

Thanks for the response. I just wondered if there was a slight knocking noise when the camera was at the front of the bike, away from the exhaust.
Maybe I'm just paranoid after the famous Allen Millyard ST1100 teardown series!

A slow idle is often noisy. How does it sound at 1500 to 2000 RPM?

Is it new enough ('96 or later) to have the 40 amp alternator?

It is a later model, 2001. Its 3hrs away from me, so the video is the best I have

Like they said, tick over sounds low which will make it noisier.
It's got a headlight bulb out, they're not too bad to do.
If you go to see it ask to start it from cold, not pre warmed.
Good luck.
Upt.

If you look closely at the 18 second mark, you can visibly see the engine jumping around under the fairings. That is definately not ST1100 behaviour. The idle speed is definately way to low, you can tell just by the sound of the engine. Besides the idle speed, the carburetors may be way out of adjustment as well. Either condition will cause what sounds like an engine knock, especially if the engine was cold when that video was recorded. Step one, adjust the base idle speed to 1,000 RPM +/- 100 with the engine fully warmed up (I always preferred 1,100 RPM) and see what it sounds like then.

What a beauty, How many miles? Not that it is a concern, just curious.
I like the Gold wheels, not sure but, they may be repainted as I don't know of a Gold wheel on 96+ models.
Have the 2000 model it sounds good if a little slow on the idle. The exhaust is throatier than stock.
I prefer to keep mine idling at 1200

What a beauty, How many miles? Not that it is a concern, just curious.
I like the Gold wheels, not sure but, they may be repainted as I don't know of a Gold wheel on 96+ models.
Have the 2000 model it sounds good if a little slow on the idle. The exhaust is throatier than stock.
I prefer to keep mine idling at 1200
Its a german bike, imported to the UK when new (supposedly the original owner got a much better deal than buying a UK bike?) - 50k km, or 30k miles.
The gold wheels look a slightly different colour to photos of others to me - a bit brighter? But I'm not sure, I don't know these bikes yet

Overall it looks clean. I believe there is a repaired crack beneath the yellow tape on the left. The noise was a slight concern, but a low idle and/or carb imbalance makes sense.

FYI The firing pattern is not exactly even as designed. There is a slight lope from this.
Listen to this video at 1000 RPM to get an idea of the sound,

Here is a better explanation

Last edited:
Ya got try it ! Should be smooth as silk pulling away. Mine is a noisy vacuum cleaner at idle, and - has gold wheels (2000). Looks nice !

Back
Top Bottom