Spark plug experimentation...

Here's a very interesting video. He has some other good content as well on his channel.

Have any of you tried any of these interesting sounding alternate spark plugs...?

I know some people say, "You can't use anything but the manufacturer recommended standard!! Don't use iridium!!!" But if I can get 2-3% fuel savings for the cost of a set of plugs, why not...??

Here's the youtube video code

Last edited by a moderator:
Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I didn't watch the video, but if its about iridium plugs there's no reason not to use them. I've been running them in my ST1100 for years, as have many others.

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
I use the regular plugs but I do index them so I get 3 to 4% better fuel economy. No metal blockage on the flame side so a better burn in the jug.

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
Can give details on indexing? TIA
No but i can guarantee that nobody can tell if their bike is getting 2% better gas mileage because of a spark plug.

Surveys show things are 2 to 10% better during survey testing.

I remember when we bought stuff because we wanted 2% more horsepower.

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
When I was younger I foolishly experimented with different plugs going by all the sales hype at the time. When my vehicles started exhibiting rough idle, sometimes spark knock and terrible throttle response, I brought it to a well known mechanic asking for help. As soon as I told him what plugs I was trying ,he said "that's your problem" He was right. Not "ALL" so called power gaining spark plugs are bad, but some cause issues.
I now always use what the vehicle calls for and in an iridium plug if I can find it.
Oem iridium plugs in my toyota vehicles last for at least 192,000 kms and still look good when they come out. I'll stick with them.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Nobody has proven a specific spark plug gives better fuel economy over standard plugs, in surveys or otherwise. You can get better mileage if you screw the spark plug in until it is tight.... :rofl1:

Remember the carbs that give you 100 mpg, and the magnets you put on the fuel line to increase your mileage 30 or 40 mpg?

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I’ve got a pickle jar full of knock off NGK Iridium plugs.
And just like the boxes that were different lengths, I’ve seen plugs themselves that were different lengths, different amount of threads, some with shoulders, some without, etc.
And it’s not just Amazon, I’ve seen them from Rock Auto, Honda dealership, and several other places that sold them to folks.
It’s your bike, and your money, do you really want to risk damaging your motor for hopes of better mpg. Or not having to change your plug for the life of your bike?
I don’t purchase ANY NGK plugs from anyone lately, I have not seen any knock off DENSO plugs yet, and they are recommended in the factory service manual.
You pay your dollar and take your chances.

Or how the oil company and the motor vehicle manufacturer is cheating you by hiding power and mileage. Always loved how you can get more horsepower and use less fuel.
The job of a spark plug is to ignite the fuel air mixture, after ignition the flame travel is controlled by combustion chamber and fuel ingredients,
The iridium plugs as well as most of the other plugs are designed to last longer with less erosion of the electrodes. At every arc a miniscule metal is removed, which causes a increase of amperage to complete the spark, which is also miniscule. Over time the erosion or fouling will give you a rough running engine as the erosion and fouling overcomes the plugs ability to cleanly arc. The increase in amperage that the coils demand is not noticed until it can no longer dependably produce an arc in the plug.
With fuel injection the plugs the life is extended because of the better control of the fuel mixture control which also tends to correct for a small increase in oil consumption before fouling.
In carbed engines the fuel control is just not near as accurate as fuel injection. It tends to be controlled by air velocity which is not as accurate although I know carburation can be sometimes pretty close. Does anybody remember in the 70s when all the emissions control lead to trying to control the fuel mixture by messing with the carb by vacuum lines and solenoids, it worked poorly and was a constant pain for mechanics.

Remember Mighty Auto Parts that drove a van around to the shops. I found three different plugs by visual inspection. Almost ran the guy off the property by throwing old parts after him. There is a reason some are really cheap. I have mostly run Bosch. First time I have heard about NGK. Won't use them anymore as a alternative.

Bike
R1200rt
with all the pressure the epa put on the manufacturers don't you think they would be chopping at the bit to use a better plug ? I remember when splitfire plugs were the "thing" then when you read the fine print they stated a 2-3% increase in performance over old worn plugs. Watch the video, waste your time, give him a like so he can get more money. Isn't that what it's all about?

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I remember being told that you cannot run Champion plugs in a Honda, but I did for four rears of year-round riding in my '73 CB750, using Amoco premium, and they looked great when I finally pulled them.

Bike
R1200rt
I remember being told that you cannot run Champion plugs in a Honda, but I did for four rears of year-round riding in my '73 CB750, using Amoco premium, and they looked great when I finally pulled them.
yea they worked as they should but did you get 2-3% better gas mileage or horsepower? At the end of the day all we want is a dependable plug.

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
Remember the carbs that give you 100 mpg, and the magnets you put on the fuel line to increase your mileage 30 or 40 mpg?
US kansas farmers only knew about wrapping copper gas lines around the 283 intake manifolds since it was before the invention of the 'net.

Tried it bought the new carb kit later.....

OP
OP
The Dark Shadow
I use the regular plugs but I do index them so I get 3 to 4% better fuel economy. No metal blockage on the flame side so a better burn in the jug.
What do you mean by "indexing" the spark plugs...? I read your above response, but it was cryptic. Some humour is difficult to parse out via text on a screen.

The video summary tested certain 4 different spark plugs. 2 plugs produced about 2% longer run-time (ie: better fuel economy) with no load, and 3 to 3.5% better economy under load. But this was a generator, and this was a test of 1 unit of each type/brand... Certainly not exhaustive. But I think the guy in the video stated in the beginning he checked for duds and removed them, FWIW.

Resulting difference in economy of 3.5% is damn interesting...

If you could improve fuel economy simply and inexpensively by 3.5%, wouldn't you want to...?? And along with better fuel economy (if indeed a type of plug does better than OEM in our bikes), I can't help but wonder what else may change...?? More torque seems possible (likely??) with a more abrupt and directionally controlled explosion/flame.

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
I index them to the bottom of the hole (random not indexed). But I do ride the s*** out of the stock plugs (66246 miles).

I thought everyone concerned about a 2% (fuel saving or hp gain which is it) would know what spark plug indexing was all about.

OP
OP
The Dark Shadow
I index them to the bottom of the hole (random not indexed). But I do ride the s*** out of the stock plugs (66246 miles).

I thought everyone concerned about a 2% (fuel saving or hp gain which is it) would know what spark plug indexing was all about.
I have NO idea what spark plug indexing is, and I still don't know... Otherwise I wouldn't have asked... I'm perhaps strange that way, I say what I mean and mean what I say... Hmmm...

UPDATE: Okay, duckduckgo or yahoo showed me the answer. That is something I didn't know the name of, but I wondered about it when seeing the video and the flame shooting in the cylinder and through the valves...

I didn't watch the video, but if its about iridium plugs there's no reason not to use them. I've been running them in my ST1100 for years, as have many others.
I put iridium plugs in my first 2005 st13, and in my present 2014 one. Before and after no measureable change (positive or negative) but I wasn't paying attention too much. From what I've read about the technology in the plugs, the iridium are superior and if anything they will run better, and if not better (cleaner burn, quicker flame distribution), they'll run longer.

Top Bottom