Speed limiter on st1300p

Hi, I'm new to this website. Noticed the speed limiter kicking in right before 120mph on my 2007 st1300p. I don't usually go that fast but I still don't want to be limited. I can't seem to figure out what exactly limits your top speed since there seems to be a few different opinions. Anyone successfully removed it ? And how?

Goes boom on the p models only? Every non p with the same engine can go 150mph? As stated by Honda! I'm not trying to engage in a pointless discussion over opinions and point of views. I asked a pretty straight forward question and I would appreciate a straight answer directly related to my question.

Hi, I'm new to this website. Noticed the speed limiter kicking in right before 120mph on my 2007 st1300p. I don't usually go that fast but I still don't want to be limited. I can't seem to figure out what exactly limits your top speed since there seems to be a few different opinions. Anyone successfully removed it ? And how?

From seeing this topic coming up every now and then. I believe it is coded into the ECU/ECM. Only known work around is to replace the ECM with a non "P" model. 2003-2007 ECMs are different from 2008 on, so just keep that in mind when you search around. I would be hesitant to buy used due to the FI code 25/26 (you can do a search and read all about it on here). Good luck!

Welcome to the forum.

Look for an ECM from a non-police version of the same '07 or older models.

P.S. They may be very difficult to find.

The speed limiter is built in to the ECM. It has been stated on this forum that later P model ST1300's did not have the speed limiter. Your options are a civilian model ECM or an ECM from a later model year ST1300P. I can't tell you in which year that change happened on the P models because I don't know. A third option is that there are companies who advertise re-flashing of ECM's. One service that they offer is removing the speed limiter. It might be a long-shot if they can do so on an ST1300P ECM, but you can always ask them.

Goes boom on the p models only? Every non p with the same engine can go 150mph? As stated by Honda! I'm not trying to engage in a pointless discussion over opinions and point of views. I asked a pretty straight forward question and I would appreciate a straight answer directly related to my question.
Your never going to get a straight awnser because there is no one here who works for honda engineering. Good luck trying to get an answer there. From what I've read the speed limiter on P models is there because of the lawsuit over the "Pan weave". Lighten up. Then again I could be wrong.

It has been stated on this forum that later P model ST1300's did not have the speed limiter.

Hi Andrew,
That may have been me that said this. Just to set the record straight; I was specifically looking for a limiter at 120mph and didn't find it on several tests to ~122mph and back down. However, I did push it a little further months later and it is limited, I would guess just under 130mph (which would match up with Aniwack's 129 number mentioned above). Since mine is a 2016 model, I would assume all of them are actually limited.

Anyway, just wanted to clarify my error.

Thank you,
Ryan

Anyone successfully removed it ? And how?

Since mine is a 2016 model, I would assume all of them are actually limited.
Well, there you have it. Your options would seem to be a civilian model ECM or possibly a re-flash service.
I have my doubts that any of the ECM repair facilities will do it on an ST1300 ECM. Most of those places don't seem to want to touch an ST1300 ECM, but you can always ask.

I watched a Dyno run on a Police Kawasaki Concours. Yes it did cut off at 120 mph. You guys that are right, it is Police ECM. It was cool to watch it run into limiter

The civilian will do 147 on a properly tuned bike, while the P model will sometimes do 129.

Hi Andrew,
That may have been me that said this. Just to set the record straight; I was specifically looking for a limiter at 120mph and didn't find it on several tests to ~122mph and back down. However, I did push it a little further months later and it is limited, I would guess just under 130mph (which would match up with Aniwack's 129 number mentioned above). Since mine is a 2016 model, I would assume all of them are actually limited.

Anyway, just wanted to clarify my error.

Thank you,
Ryan
Good to know what it'll do if ever needed or wanted. Mine is a 2015 PA so most likely the same. Can't say I know for sure either way at this point though, not been there.

Back
Top Bottom