Spitting sound at 2000rpm

STOC #
my 93 ST seams to run ok at 2500 and above RPM but when I ride at 2000 RPM's it makes a repeated (every 30 sec or so) spitting sound and feels as though it loses power for a split second.

Does anyone else have this problem or had it? If so what can be causing it? I think it is a jet but not sure. Just tried using Sea Foam in the tank.

Cheers,
Adam

No issues at 2000 RPM on my 93. If it is a jet the seafoam should do a pretty good job as long as the gunk isn't to bad. You may also want to check the air filter and make sure it's in good shape and doesn't need replaced.

Hanglt

OP
OP
93NJST
STOC #
I plan to run this tank all the way dawn and restock with gas and sea foam. The K&N is in good shape. I'm just a little worried that the bike will die or something. I think I just need to find a good mechanic to look her over. My knoledge is limited to the basics.
Trying to do what I can to keep her going for many more years!

Cheers,
Adam

Sounds like a jet blockage, as the idle/lower speed jets are pretty fine. If a few goes at carb cleaner do not work time to get a carb clean done. Could also be something in the current tank of gas.

Bike
'08 Connie C14
STOC #
Hmmmm. I read this thread yesterday and didn't want to reply until I had an oportunity to ride around town a little...

I don't ride at 2000. Lowest revs I will see for riding is 2500 and more normally 3000. I always figure optimum gas mileage is somewhere around the revs where the torque peaks...A ballpark figure, to be sure, but a figure to work with...

Anyway, when I read the post, my first thought was fuel filter. It still is, 24 hours later. At 2000 revs, this motor is so quiet that you can hear things that just are not heard normally...You might want to have an extra fuel filter on hand. You might also want to review the procedure for by passing the fuel valve...That is a vacuum powered valve, right under the tank cover. It might be that valve that you are hearing...if so, it will let you down one day:) I missed the last group ride in AZ because of it, that's how I know:)

This isn't to take away from the possibilites listed above, it is in addition to them...I am a HUGE believer in Sea Foam...

A fuel filter would normal cause problems at higher revs if it is restricting fuel flow. The fuel valve could well be an issue on an older bike, so is worth considering (I have a young 96 model!) Air leaks, PAIR system are all on the next list of things....

OP
OP
93NJST
STOC #
Thanks guys. I had the filter replaced last year. I'm hoping it is a little durt in the jets. I thought 2000rpm was the best RPM to use. I'll try using 2500-3000 and see what happens.

Cheers,
Adam

Top Bottom