Spring, Set, Match

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
Back in February I accidentally ordered the rear shock and spacer instead of the front springs. I did not return them, I have swapped the OEM out and went full RaceTech, will be installing shortly.

SPSC P575516 SPR COLLAR 56.9x54.6x16L$29.99
SRSP 5815232 SK SPR 58.2x152 23.2kg$149.99

Needing to put on some new rubber, I pulled the rear rim and shock.

Unbolted the knob, didn't need to.
IMG_5199.jpeg

Removed the seat adjuster, needed to.
IMG_5201.jpeg

Removed the nut on the subframe bolt to make working easier.
IMG_5200.jpeg

Removed the bottom bolt, boy it's dirty in there.
IMG_5202.jpeg

Loosened the bolts holding the peg holders to get the bolt out.
IMG_5203.jpegIMG_5204.jpegIMG_5206.jpegIMG_5205.jpeg

Removed the barrel bolt on the top of the shock.
Then down to my local guy and was met with "I can't do the spring, the collar is to small". What's a rider to do, ask someone else? No go twice, was recommended a spring compressor. I had thoughts of going to the Harbor Freight and getting the cheap hydraulic press, I'll try the $50.00 option first.

1694719182842.png

I placed the shock on the floor as I read the directions and started tightening the bolts. I was nervous for all the obvious reasons. The clamps started to slide along the coil as it got tighter, ok, let's put it in a vice and keep the bolts plumb.

IMG_5215.jpeg

Much, much better.

IMG_5217.jpeg

I will reinstall and put the rim back on when I get it, a few more maintenance items due before a road test. Removal was about 30 minutes, respiring about the same, I took my time.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I remember really wrestling with the preload adjuster to get the shock out. Then, while replacing it, I ran the hose over some cables...WRONG but I did not discover the problem until the shock was bolted in and I was trying to bolt up the p-load adj. Took it all out and did it again.

I did the fronts first and it made a big difference in the way the bike handled bumps. Did the rear (also gold valves) about 9 months later and that was not such a dramatic change but it was noticeable. RT's new rear spring lifted the bike a bit, despite me asking for a spring that would maintain the same seat height for my weight w/ ATG.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Cool. When you put the bottom bolt back in you will turn it 180 degrees so the nut is on the outside next time, right? Then it won’t be necessary to move the foot peg step plate.

OP
OP
Willsmotorcycle

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
Cool. When you put the bottom bolt back in you will turn it 180 degrees so the nut is on the outside next time, right? Then it won’t be necessary to move the foot peg step plate.
When I was reading some of the threads, yours I believe, I thought the same thing. The more I thought about it, I figured it was that way so there is no way the bolt can come out without moving the side step panel. I looked at it as a redundant fastener. As I struggled to line it up for reinstall, I really contemplated it. With the factory way, the nut can come off, but the bolt can't leave.

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
When I was reading some of the threads, yours I believe, I thought the same thing. The more I thought about it, I figured it was that way so there is no way the bolt can come out without moving the side step panel. I looked at it as a redundant fastener. As I struggled to line it up for reinstall, I really contemplated it. With the factory way, the nut can come off, but the bolt can't leave.
With a nylock locking nut it can’t come off or at least it is highly unlikely.

OP
OP
Willsmotorcycle

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
With a nylock locking nut it can’t come off or at least it is highly unlikely.
I didn't realize until I was thumbing it on there was a nylock. If the occasion arises I will probably put the nut on the outside. My favorite part of this site is the knowledgable people Dave, thank you.

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
I followed this suggestion,, about 6 weeks ago, Dave !! Much easier to tighten and recheck the lower bolt. Only reason I could think that Honda set the bolt in the way they did,,, is that should the nut come off,,,,, the bolt would esentially be captive by the side step. Great minds, Dave,,,, great minds,,, lol,,, CAt'

Gus1300

Site Supporter
Bike
04 1300A
The bolt might be captive yes, but from the looks of the picture, if the nut is off, it can back out far enough to drop the shock anyway? Maybe not if the very end still holds the shock, but still not very solid. I haven't changed my rear shock or spring, pretty sure they're still stock, and pretty sure the shock is well worn out. I did have a new spring sent with my RT valves when I did the front a few years ago but never installed it.

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I followed this suggestion,, about 6 weeks ago, Dave !! Much easier to tighten and recheck the lower bolt. Only reason I could think that Honda set the bolt in the way they did,,, is that should the nut come off,,,,, the bolt would esentially be captive by the side step. Great minds, Dave,,,, great minds,,, lol,,, CAt'
When I changed the shock out on mine for the first aftermarket shock the shock was bad and I ended up pulling the shock out of the bike I believe three times in about five weeks. I can’t recall for sure but I’m about 99% sure that that nut is an aircraft style nylon insert self locking nut. It’s not gonna back off unless there’s a wrench and a socket on either end of that bolt, but that was quite a while ago and I could be wrong.

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
In, cleaned, and new rubber.
Clean like new,, good job ! 6 weeks ago,,, I installed the same race tek spring,, but 21.4kg (stock is 17kg). I didn't clean it up nearly as good as you. But to hide the dirt,,, I installed the bike-quip shock shield. I think your 23.5kg selection is pretty good. I wondered about going that strong,,,, but so far, so good. I don't use any preload now,,, where as before,,, I preloaded %100 all the time. I think 25kg is the biggest that RT has to offer. I am looking forward to your report on ride qualities,,, both loaded and not,,, preloaded and not,,, etc,,, cheers,,, CAt'

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Clean like new,, good job ! 6 weeks ago,,, I installed the same race tek spring,, but 21.4kg (stock is 17kg). I didn't clean it up nearly as good as you. But to hide the dirt,,, I installed the bike-quip shock shield. I think your 23.5kg selection is pretty good. I wondered about going that strong,,,, but so far, so good. I don't use any preload now,,, where as before,,, I preloaded %100 all the time. I think 25kg is the biggest that RT has to offer. I am looking forward to your report on ride qualities,,, both loaded and not,,, preloaded and not,,, etc,,, cheers,,, CAt'
I was thinking about the 21.4kg spring too.

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
I was thinking about the 21.4kg spring too.
I am happy with it so far, David. But I still have not tested it with fully loaded bags,, and, with some or all of the preload added. I will also be monitoring to see if the preloader gives up any fluid,,, given that it is only occasionally used now. Another point worth noting is that the 21.4 spring did not result in much more ride height (preloader off),,, compared to the stock spring (with preloader %100 on). cheers,,, CAt'

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I am happy with it so far, David. But I still have not tested it with fully loaded bags,, and, with some or all of the preload added. I will also be monitoring to see if the preloader gives up any fluid,,, given that it is only occasionally used now. Another point worth noting is that the 21.4 spring did not result in much more ride height (preloader off),,, compared to the stock spring (with preloader %100 on). cheers,,, CAt'
Thanks Cat, appreciate the feedback.

OP
OP
Willsmotorcycle

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
Put some miles on her today, 60ish, rear spring... I don't know yet. Started slow because of new tires front and rear, back roads, some twists and turns, preload all the way out. Over the next 60 miles I reached down and clicked it in one turn at a time. I could fell it fighting up as I added preload. Got to 10 clicks in and ran out of road. lol The rebound is still set to the stock spring and I'm not sure if I should move it. I will ride out next time starting at 10 clicks and see what happens as I add more. Bike was empty, no top box, and I hadn't eaten lunch.

Reactions: Obo
Top Bottom