ST 1100 Refilling an empty rear brake system 2002 ABS

Hi all,

I hope I can get some help.
It is an ST1100 2002 ABS model.
I have refurbished the rear calliper and cleaned up the pistons on the front link system.
Despite following the sequence listed on lots of other forums I can’t get any fluid to go in it. I have a vacuum hand pump and no mater how many time the pedal is pressed and released I can’t get the system to fill.

many thanks and any help would be much appreciated.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Have you tried bleeding the master cylinder?

You might have an air lock at the master cylinder. Try bleeding it directly at the master cylinder by loosening the banjo bolt to purge any air from the master cylinder piston. If/once you get fluid moving there, bleed the rest of the system.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Some guys have also had luck using a pressure bleed system. A large syringe is used to push the fluid up to the master cylinder from the calipers. Again, it helps to loosen the banjo bolt at the reservoir.

Jethro

R.I.P. - 2023/10/20
Rest In Peace
Bike
2006 st1300
Stuff some rags around areas with brake fluid.It makes a great slow acting paint remover if you are not careful!

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Forcing fluid upstream using a syringe, or any other means, is not pressure bleeding. This is reverse pressure bleeding. Pressure bleeding forces brake fluid from the master cylinder through the system to the calipers in the direction that the fluid is intended to flow, and forces the contaminants out where they can do the least harm.

I have never been a fan of reverse pressure bleeding. Most of the worst of the crud in an hydraulic brake system accumulates in the calipers. Unless it is known that the system has been regularly flushed and is therefore relatively free of contaminants, or at least if the calipers have been rebuilt so that the level of crud is at a minimum, there is a risk of pushing that crud upstream throughout the entire system and in to the master cylinder piston.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I have never been a fan of reverse pressure bleeding. Most of the worst of the crud in an hydraulic brake system accumulates in the calipers. Unless it is known that the system has been regularly flushed and is therefore relatively free of contaminants, or at least if the calipers have been rebuilt so that the level of crud is at a minimum, there is a risk of pushing that crud upstream throughout the entire system and in to the master cylinder piston.
Concur wholeheartedly... I always draw at the caliper bleeding bolts, never had an issue, even on empty/dry systems after full rebuilds/overhauls...

51ywx4v-i9L._AC_SL1024_.jpg

Just ensure to continuously top off the reservoirs with fresh fluid during the process... and use lots of it to really clean out the system...

Top Bottom