ST 1100 Seat Talk

JJames

Site Supporter
Bike
2000 ST 1100 ABS II
The stock seat is not going to work for me. I sitt pressed in to the tank , bendt knees , I cant move. The cushing up front dosen't feel that great either , but that might just be me. I have local pros that do this type of work, but they are not MC seat experts, and neither am I . I have to them what i want done .Of course I can fit / adjust til I am happy. Here is what i start with
DSC_0363.JPG

Did some in house study . The tape is where I should be sitting . I was thinking of just filling up that pit and making it a strait saddle or a little Schwinn Banana seat. Probably taking the ridge down a little and getting the low point about where the tape is. I have never seen a photo of a ST with a "level" saddle . Any good reason to have that ridge at the back of your butt ? My ol lady says she going to be sitting there - but not most of the time - I'm sure about that. The added height wont be a problem for me.
DSC_0367.JPG

What ye think ? If you do have nice RDL for sale and will ship ,lett me know !

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
How long are your legs? Seems only the really tall, leggy people have the issue your having. I don't see why you couldn't recontour that seat. Pull the cover off and reshape gently with a long sharp knife. An upholstery shop should be able to supply you with foam is various densities. Glue on layers where you need them. Then get it recovered. There are no auto trim shops or furniture upholstery places near you?
RT

Bike
VStrom 650
The stock seat is not going to work for me. I sitt pressed in to the tank , bendt knees , I cant move. The cushing up front dosen't feel that great either , but that might just be me. I have local pros that do this type of work, but they are not MC seat experts, and neither am I . I have to them what i want done .Of course I can fit / adjust til I am happy. Here is what i start with
DSC_0363.JPG

Did some in house study . The tape is where I should be sitting . I was thinking of just filling up that pit and making it a strait saddle or a little Schwinn Banana seat. Probably taking the ridge down a little and getting the low point about where the tape is. I have never seen a photo of a ST with a "level" saddle . Any good reason to have that ridge at the back of your butt ? My ol lady says she going to be sitting there - but not most of the time - I'm sure about that. The added height wont be a problem for me.
DSC_0367.JPG

What ye think ? If you do have nice RDL for sale and will ship ,lett me know !
Just fill the gap with anything you find and go for a ride. See if it's good.
Upt'North.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Just be aware that if a used RDL seat was not built for someone of your physical characteristics (height, inseam, reach, weight) it could be very uncomfortable. I've had two built for me, and two purchased used. One of the used ones fit me because the original owner was a pretty good match to me. The other one did not and I ended up selling it.

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
I have a pre-owned RDL and it really can be a gamble as to whether or not it’ll fit a subsequent buyer- I was lucky and it fits me well (in fact, I was out on the bike today for about 160 miles). Regarding the leg ‘kink’ (which I‘ve had in the past as well), if you can source a pair of peg lowering brackets (sellers no longer make these but you might be able to get a set used). A more expensive option is the KnightDesign lowered foot pegs and they do the same thing as the brackets:

I was going to get a pair for the 04 1300 my brother and I share in Colorado, but I was fortunate enough to source a pre-owned pair of brackets for that bike (and my 1100’s have them as well). Between a higher seat, peg lowering and possibly bar risers, then the bike will be more comfortable for you.

OP
OP
JJames

JJames

Site Supporter
Bike
2000 ST 1100 ABS II
Yes , step one fill in the gap ,and se how it works out . Having second thoughts about using the original seat , so I'll look for a doner seat also . I cans see that buying a used RDL or Corbin is a gamble , and with shipping and customs -its going to expensive - it better be the right one . On the photo , there is a black line , the distance between the front edge and pillon seat edge. I'm woundering what distance Corbin or RDL might have , if there made for long legged drivers. To me it seems getting a little higher in the front , an inch or two back, would make a big difference.
DSC_0363-kopi.png

OP
OP
JJames

JJames

Site Supporter
Bike
2000 ST 1100 ABS II
I have a pre-owned RDL and it really can be a gamble as to whether or not it’ll fit a subsequent buyer- I was lucky and it fits me well (in fact, I was out on the bike today for about 160 miles). Regarding the leg ‘kink’ (which I‘ve had in the past as well), if you can source a pair of peg lowering brackets (sellers no longer make these but you might be able to get a set used). A more expensive option is the KnightDesign lowered foot pegs and they do the same thing as the brackets:

I was going to get a pair for the 04 1300 my brother and I share in Colorado, but I was fortunate enough to source a pre-owned pair of brackets for that bike (and my 1100’s have them as well). Between a higher seat, peg lowering and possibly bar risers, then the bike will be more comfortable for you.
Hadn't thought about lowering the pegs . a little here and a little there. Got to go check !

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
A RDL is basically a 'tractor' seat - or a butt bucket as we say out in the country. With their patented transverse spring, they keep the foam from compressing and remove the pressure points. If you could modify it to be like an old metal tractor seat in shape, you might find it to be comfortable.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I have two RDLs I bought used. The first after just seeing pics, the typical catcher's mitt in black, which is positioned about the same as the OEM seat, but MUCH better at keeping me from sliding forward.

The second one, which I'm on now, has the light gray canvas-looking surface, and puts me much higher and farther rearward. The seating position actually provides about 2" between the fairing and my knees.

Remember that your body is in intimate contact with your bike in three main places: your hands, your butt, and your feet. When you relocate one contact point, it changes your reach to the others.

I have PSR blades, and between them and the RDL seat (no pun intended), I can just about straighten my legs. I have the original Helibars, fully extended, atop a pair of extra-tall risers, so I can sit upright.

The PSR blades are still available for both STs. Here's the 1100 version:
https://psr-usa.com/sport-touring/highway-blades/st1100-90-02-highway-blade-black.html#.YDrwXnY3niw

This should give you an idea about where I sit on the bike. Notice how thick the edge of the seat is:

IMG_0449.JPG IMG_0450.JPG

OP
OP
JJames

JJames

Site Supporter
Bike
2000 ST 1100 ABS II
Topselleri ? Anyone care to comment on their ST1100 seats ? There not too expensive, and they offer long , raised , lower , +++ . They look good. Sent them a mail . I rode a few hour yesterday , and with heavy leather pants ,and the works , it wasn't too bad (I must admit).

Bike
VStrom 650
Topselleri ? Anyone care to comment on their ST1100 seats ? There not too expensive, and they offer long , raised , lower , +++ . They look good. Sent them a mail . I rode a few hour yesterday , and with heavy leather pants ,and the works , it wasn't too bad (I must admit).
JJames check out Saddlecraft in South Shields, NE England just across the water, if I can find a picture of what they did for us I'll post it. I'm sure you could post your seat in.
Upt'North.

Bike
VStrom 650
Not a great piccy but they'll do what you want, this has gel pads front and rear (their own poured in situ) and anti slip front and rear.
Upt'North. 20200716_125557~2.jpg

OP
OP
JJames

JJames

Site Supporter
Bike
2000 ST 1100 ABS II
They (bike and seat) sure look good . Would you advise getting gel ? Sounds like the right way to go. The profile on that seat looks much better ,does it have extra lenght for the pilot ? I am going borrow an Air Hauk gel pad from a buddy , and see how that feels.

Bike
VStrom 650
We went for gel because we have some long days in the saddle, pandemics allowing, and the old seat was only good for about 1.5 to 2 hours riding before the twitches set in. Having said that we've done 8 hour, 500 mile days on the old saddle.
I found an old low mileage seat and put ours away, the cover is like new and it's still very serviceable. The new seat was a little firmer but with a small rip in the cover, it didn't cost much, ebay is littered with the things.
We took it down to SaddleCraft and discussed our requirements with the owner. He's good.
He said it would take around 3 to 4 weeks to turn around but it was done in two.
First thing I noticed, God it was heavy.
Second thing, God it was firm.
Third thing, it feels high up here.
He had put gel pads front and rear, recovered (very well) with anti slip front and rear, the foam was in good order so only had minimal tweaks. I think it cost around £200.00 plus the fuel there and back x 2.
The profile of the seat is roughly the same, but he would do what you want, the overall seating position is slightly higher because the seat is firmer, I'm 1.93 m and 105 kg. If the profile is a little higher at the front it will be the gel and covering foam.
So far so good but the pandemic put an end to the planned Portugal ride but we did put some long'ish days in last summer and it's bedding in nicely, 2 hour riding periods are not a problem and any aches seem to disappear more quickly. Er'Indoors states the rear is much better, in a firm way.
Hope it helps.
Upt'North.

Flexit

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Site Supporter
Bike
1990 1100L + Sidecar
STOC #
I've got one. Standard seat with Gel Inserts, although I'm 6'2" I went for the standard rider length. Absolutely superb. With the OEM seat we (rider and pillion) could manage no more than 1.5 - 2 hours for a first session of a long journey, then it got shorter as the day went on with uncomfortable effects on following days if we were on tour. We've tried all-sorts of solutions, including the Air Hawk inflatable pad (which we definitely didn't get on with) to no avail. Finally decided to bite the bullet and after reading many reviews on many different sites went for a Top Sellerie. What a revelation. 500 mile days no problem. Although we always try to stop every 2 hours or so on long journeys this doesn't always happen and the Top Sellerie has never got uncomfortable (I think the longest 'one sit' stint was about 3.5 hours with no problem, and then we were still comfy for the rest of the ride, about 12 hours in total). A few pics, hopefully showing the profile.

01.JPG02.JPG03.JPG

Last edited:

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Would you advise getting gel ?
I have no experience with gel seats so I have no personal comments to offer. I have read several posts regarding heat absorption from people who have put in gel inserts. They have stated that when the bike is left parked in direct sunlight, the gel absorbs so much heat that the seat can not be sat on because it is simply to hot. They have stated that they have had to resort to carrying a towel with them so that they can always be sure to cover the seat to keep the sun off of it.

Just something to consider if you often ride in warmer weather and leave the bike sitting in the sun.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
When the bike is left parked in direct sunlight, the gel absorbs so much heat that the seat can not be sat on because it is simply to hot. They have stated that they have had to resort to carrying a towel with them so that they can always be sure to cover the seat to keep the sun off of it.
That's the built-in 'green' seat heater option - I had one of the original Saddleman Gel Seats when it was considered a custom seat and came with a metal seat pan. :biggrin:

Top Bottom