ST 1100 Seat Talk

Bike
'06 ST 1300
STOC #
when i first got my ST 1100 and started taking it on 100 mile rides, i thought the seat was uncomfortable. then i did a few 100 mile trip with my niece riding the ST 1100, i took the ST 1300. she likes the bike but not the seat so i took the seat and had it stuffed with foam which made it much better, even my niece liked it. i got a used russell day long seat but don't have many miles on it. i hope to test it this summer and if it doesn't work i'll sell it and maybe talk to the fine folks at sargent seats if i decide to keep the ST 1100. here are acouple pic's of the stock seat after having it stuffed20210303_144659.jpg20210303_144707.jpg

I have no experience with gel seats so I have no personal comments to offer. I have read several posts regarding heat absorption from people who have put in gel inserts. They have stated that when the bike is left parked in direct sunlight, the gel absorbs so much heat that the seat can not be sat on because it is simply to hot. They have stated that they have had to resort to carrying a towel with them so that they can always be sure to cover the seat to keep the sun off of it.

Just something to consider if you often ride in warmer weather and leave the bike sitting in the sun.
I did like the seat on the BMW LT1100, I could do a 500 km ride and not need a chiropractor before hitting the bar. I agree with the statement that on a long journey the seat on the ST110 has my junk pressed against the tank which makes me feel like a monkey fucking a watermelon.
On thing what was common on Malta, where the temps can reach 50+° was to stretch a square of fluffy bathroom carpet over the seat, otherwise getting on the bike has your bum thinking it has have met the antichrist.

OP
OP
JJames

JJames

Site Supporter
Bike
2000 ST 1100 ABS II
Thanks for the advice ! Here on the west coast of Norway it just dosen't get that hot , well maybe for week once in a while , but old car dashboards don't crack here -to put it that way! So I don't think the hot sun will be a problem. I really have to do some riding with what I've got. If bad- see if temporary adjustments seem to make things better. I have not got a got a reply from Top Sellerie yet

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
So I don't think the hot sun will be a problem.
Just beware that it is not a 'function' of the temperature but how much direct sunlight on the gel.
If you have mostly cloudy skies, then the heat may not be an issue.
If it is, then a simple white hand towel placed over the seat when it will be parked in the sun should work.

Bike
VStrom 650
We rode ours last summer in the UK only, gel inserts we're not an issue, but it may be the type of gel or if they are foam covered. Most new touring type bikes come with comfort/gel seat options so I'm guessing it's OK in most climes, especially Scandinavia and the UK. I think any seat is going to be pretty hot at 50 degrees C ambient, although I won't be the one volunteering to be the test dummy.
Upt'North.

Top Bottom