ST-1300 windshield GEAR

PANik

MacGyver
Vendor
Bike
GL1800 & ST1300
Hi Guys

Now I have the final version of the windshield gear. I re-designed it from original and tested some 3D-printed gears and for a long time.
I tested with the V-Stream windshield with a bigger surface, speed until 160km/h, .... to find the problem and to solve it. Of course the wind pressure on the windshield with increasing speed is the big problem.

Informations:

- 3D-printed part with STEEL material, some tolerances are turned
- minor but important design changes as the original part
- compatibility 1:1

Important informations (also applies to original gear!!):
- to rise the windshield during ride -> max speed of 30mph / 50km/h
- to drive down windshield during ride -> max speed of 50mph / 80km/h
-> the best for durability is, to use it when you have zero speed ;-) <-

I offer you a windshield gear with a price of 80.- € (Euro), without transportation, tax, VAT, custom clearence...
The delivery time will be around 30 days. Included will be also a repair/exchange manual in english

To order, send me your request to special-works@gmx.ch
Best Regards
PANik (Viktor)
Gear 21112019.jpgGear 21112019.jpg

Bike
04 ST1300
Hi Guys

Now I have the final version of the windshield gear. I re-designed it from original and tested some 3D-printed gears and for a long time.
I tested with the V-Stream windshield with a bigger surface, speed until 160km/h, .... to find the problem and to solve it. Of course the wind pressure on the windshield with increasing speed is the big problem.

Informations:

- 3D-printed part with STEEL material, some tolerances are turned
- minor but important design changes as the original part
- compatibility 1:1

Important informations (also applies to original gear!!):
- to rise the windshield during ride -> max speed of 30mph / 50km/h
- to drive down windshield during ride -> max speed of 50mph / 80km/h
-> the best for durability is, to use it when you have zero speed ;-) <-

I offer you a windshield gear with a price of 80.- € (Euro), without transportation, tax, VAT, custom clearence...
The delivery time will be around 30 days. Included will be also a repair/exchange manual in english

To order, send me your request to special-works@gmx.ch
Best Regards
PANik (Viktor)
Gear 21112019.jpgGear 21112019.jpg
what is the price in $ at the current rate.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
what is the price in $ at the current rate.
As mentioned above Google and any search engine and Alexa can convert other currencies to US$. As exchange rates very today's price may be a little more or less than tomorrow's. So don't be surprised if it's $88 or $91.

There's shipping which will vary somewhat and there's the potential for import tariff. But it still seems like a pretty good deal considering the usual options are a brand new system for $400ish or take your chances scoring an ebay deal (only to find Supe has beat you to the punch.

Inspecting and keeping your cables clean and lubed along with the speed recommendations should prolong the life of both gear and cables. But in may not be a bad idea to grab one of these while you can.

But durability is the question. Is this a more durable product than OEM and if so what does that mean for cable wear.

OP
OP
PANik

PANik

MacGyver
Vendor
Bike
GL1800 & ST1300
A 3D printed part will never have the same properties as an original part.
The problem with the gear breaking is that the mesh depth is too small. I have optimized this depth.

Bike
2012 ST1300P ABS
STOC #
A 3D printed part will never have the same properties as an original part.
The problem with the gear breaking is that the mesh depth is too small. I have optimized this depth.
Are you saying that the 3D part is stronger overall due to the mesh depth, so the failure of the gears is always the mesh?

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I took that to mean the earlier breaking of the 3D printed gear was due to inadequate depth which caused the mesh (?) or cables to break the teeth. Now that's been corrected and the cables will seat properly and not break the teeth.

But the printed gear still won't be a strong as the OEM gear. It might be that the cables won't wear as fast as the gear since it's not metal. If that's the case it might be a good thing as good cables may be harder to get now that there may be a source for the gear. All a guess on my part.

OP
OP
PANik

PANik

MacGyver
Vendor
Bike
GL1800 & ST1300
I took that to mean the earlier breaking of the 3D printed gear was due to inadequate depth which caused the mesh (?) or cables to break the teeth. Now that's been corrected and the cables will seat properly and not break the teeth.

But the printed gear still won't be a strong as the OEM gear. It might be that the cables won't wear as fast as the gear since it's not metal. If that's the case it might be a good thing as good cables may be harder to get now that there may be a source for the gear. All a guess on my part.
The printed part is steel material.
The original and my first printed testing parts was same structure of teeth size.
Now they are deeper and catch the cable complete.
Also if break it again, the gear will first wear before cables.

Bike
2004 ST1300A
Got my new gear from Viktor, electric windshield mechanism now fixed!

Bike
2010 ST1300
This sounds like a needed remedy. I would like to order a set for myself. Are there any available at this time?
You might em him and report back to us. I think someone got the last gear from the last (limited) production run earlier this year, but he might do another if there is sufficient interest. Better yet, do a poll (like a group buy) here - ask how many guys would order one and then email him, asking if he would make more if he could sell xx of them. PM @Mellow to ask how to set up a poll type post.

Bike
2007 HONDA ST1300
I have received a response from V.M. @ Special-Works via email. The current asking price is $100 per gear including shipment, I believe...but, he is currently out of stock.

OP
OP
PANik

PANik

MacGyver
Vendor
Bike
GL1800 & ST1300
Hi guys
I have 10 piece on stock and will have an eye on it, that I‘m not be out of stock.
for requests feel free to ask.
Send me an email to:
special-works@gmx.ch
and but in title the keywords windshield and gear. Otherwise your email is possible incoming into spam-folder.

Thanks and I wish you a great and accident-free motorcycle saison. :)

Top Bottom