ST vs Wing Vs 1200 LT

Bike
sold dec 31 14
STOC #
After returning from Canstoc I posted a bit about my dillema re my usual riding and how a wing seems to fit my particular style. I just added some more fuel to the fire. My LBS took a 2003 Beemer LT in trade on a Wing and I asked for a test drive which they accomodated. I really liked that bike. I found the ergos even better for me than the wing and even though the Center of Gravity is a bit higher than the wing it was very easy to drive at my comfort limit. It has most of the accessories matched with a lot fewer buttons and to my eye cleaner styling but a few drawbacks too. Storage is smaller than the wing but about equal to the ST unless you haqve the CD player. The action of the Telelever and paralever was new in how the bike responded to bumps and road irregularities.
Yesterday I decided to take the ST out and ride her hard. Boy that brings me back to earth. I almost forgot how much fun the ST is. I am still smitten by the BMW but not at the expense of the ST right now.:03biker:

Yeah, what the heck were you thinking... :nuts1: :mw1: :spank1: :nuke1: :popcorn

:) I've spent a little time on a R1200RT and have read alot about the front suspension on some of the Beemers and I have to say I agree with what I read after riding the bike ....that the front end of most of these bikes don't give you much feed back ....its almost like the front end isn't even there.....maybe if I spent more time on one it would be different but I don't think so!....Heck if I hit a pebble with the front end of the ST I can feel it!...The other thing I didn't like about the suspension was under hard braking it felt as if the bike squeezed the front and rear together a bit....and after releasing the brakes the bike seemed to drop down a bit:shock: ...maybe it was just me but I don't know?

Mellow I know can speak for both the ST and Wing since he has both. I just sold my Wing (GL1800, which I loved a lot more than the GL1500, except for the OVERHEATING issue).

I'm having lots more fun on the ST. The side bags can hold my full face helmet on BOTH sides, whereas the Wing couldn't hold it on either. The Wing could hold my wifes (medium) helmet in the right but not the left saddle bag.

I installed risers to make the ST more comfortable for my reach (pressure on wrists) and that is about it (for comfort).

The GL1800 was fun to drive, but the ST is a BLLASSSSTTTTT:D

I've had both, only have the Wing at the moment. Isn't it great to have all the choices we have?:bannana

I test rode a Wing, K1200LT and R1150RT before deciding on an ST. (This all happened in 2002).

The Wing is a torque machine...wow! Handles great in spite of its heft. Too big for me, at least for now. This would be my machine of choice for dedicated 2-up touring.

The K is top heavy...the guy who test rode it after me dropped it on his ride. Ouch $. Like most bikes, the weight seems to go away at speed, but at slow speed this bike would cause me major difficulties. More bells and whistles that I can contemplate a use for. And BMW design...eech.

The R handled great, nice ergos and controls (except for BMW's whacko turn signal switches), but that boxer motor stinks. I don't understand how so many people can swear by such a buzzy, vibrating mill. The new 1200 boxer is supposed to be better, but there's only so much you can do to smooth out a large displacement twin.

Bought an ST and still love it. :hotpepper

After logging 29,000 miles on a 99' LT, I traded it for an 06' ST - during LT ownership I always had more than one bike. I used the LT for two-up riding, and for this purpose it was fantastic. A bit top heavy and underpowered (compared to the wing), but it was a comfortable reliable machine nevertheless. I needed something more sporting for my solo jaunts, so I always owned a smaller bike for those occasions - ie Aprilia Futura. Recently, my desire for owning more than one bike faded, so I traded the LT for the ST and sold my other bike. I find that the ST does everything I want, and with exception of the excessive heat :eek: , I like it very much. Header wrap and cowl venting will cure the heat problem so it's a keeper. My wife misses the luxo tourer, but she finds the ST more than satisfactory for her touring needs.

I'm thinking I wanna get rid of the STs and get CBR1000 and an S-2000. Ought'a cover all the bases.

Oh, yeah, the ST1100 already does that. Never mind. ;^)

George
in Kingman, Arizona

Reiner Kappenberger said:
The love for the Boxer is passion. It has character which is completely lacking in the ST1300, which is smooth as silk.

Reiner, I would argue that "smooth as silk" is not lack of character. Rather, it defines the ST's character.

I think Larry Grodsky (RIP), who owned an R1150RT, summed it up perfectly: "What the Italians call 'character' the Japanese consider 'design flaws' and the Germans deny to their graves."

The LT is a beautifully crafted bike..
What I can't get over is the handle bars..They look like the old style stand up Waverunners..very long and straight back.

Back
Top Bottom