ST1100 Air Filter

Bike
1998 ST1100
Hi, has anyone used a non-Honda air filter in their bike? I'm looking at mine right now, and it looks like a typical automotive air filter. I surfed the web and found that the Fram CA351 is a direct replacement. Cost is $8.00 vs. the roughly $30 for the Honda filter. Any thoughts on a non OEM and non K&N filter for the ST1100?

Thanks!

I'm using K&N filter, it's like redish inside, I don't know model number. There's been many threads and opinions whether OEM or Non OEM, it's up to you. I've tried OEM and my bike performed worse than K&N which I bought bike with. So Honda filter is on the shelf.
Just know, that K&N you have to clean with spray cleaner and spray with filter oil. You can get a set on amazon.com for like $10-15.

Mark

8 or 30$ that's a hard one! ....frankly I wish I had known about the fram filter when I was looking for a cleaning kit for my own K&N. I too got it with my bike- and have always wanted to toss the bugger away.

Been running a Fram CA351 for some time. It's will need a gasket made as it's not as tall as OEM. I used 1/4" fuel line, removed the o-ring from the air box cover and glued the 1/4" fuel line to the air box cover.

I use OEM and clean them as if they were a K&N. Use K&N oil too.
I have cleaned mine several times and see of difference in the fibers.

Been running a Fram CA351 for some time. It's will need a gasket made as it's not as tall as OEM. I used 1/4" fuel line, removed the o-ring from the air box cover and glued the 1/4" fuel line to the air box cover.

Likewise on the CA351. Used round 1/2" foam insulation rope and contact cement to grove in top of filter for a gasket and left air box cover o-ring in place. The air box cover pressed nicely into the foam and I could clearly see the indentation each time I replaced the filter. Renewed the foam rope with each filter change.

Jim

Last edited:
I have used the Hi-Flo filter from California Sport Touring for 30k miles & it has performed well. I just bought a new to me '02 1100A that has a K&N & I will be putting a Hi-Flo in its place. I think the price is around $18.....& is a direct replacement.

John

+1 on the HiFlo filter. Construction quality is very good. Price from Powersport Superstore is excellent (about $13, if I remember right). P/N is HFA1911.

John

Yes, I've got a non-Honda air filter on my '95 ST. It's an Amsoil branded oiled-foam unit.... came with the bike and has been on there for the past 4 yrs and 20K + miles. Bike runs fine with it, never tried anything else (not paying $38 for the OEM paper unit).
It was rather oily when I first got the bike and I've not had to do anything to it since... I just commute on the ST and the air-filter doesn't seem to get very dirty at all so no reason to change it.
Mr. BR

Last edited:
Yes, I've got a non-Honda air filter on my '95 ST. It's an Amsoil branded-all foam unit.... came with the bike and has been on there for the past 4 yrs and 20K + miles. Bike runs fine with it, never tried anything else (not paying $38 for the OEM paper unit).
It was rather oily when I first got the bike and I've not had to do anything to it since... I just commute on the ST and the air-filter doesn't seem to get very dirty at all so no reason to change it.
Mr. BR
I have the same filter. Was installed when I bought the bike and the PO had really oiled it with 30weight, you could squeeze the oil out of the filter.. The bike ran good. I cleaned the filter and properly oiled with tacky filter oil. Foam filters should not be dripping oil. Well, I noticed that the last 1/8 throttle to WOT the bike would slightly miss and loos of power. man I scratched my head till my hair fell out (hasn't grown back). I put the OEM filter back in and the bike ran great again. Dawned on me that the Amsoil foam flowed too much air. Fuel/air mix was too lean for WOT.

Fram CA351 from now on.

I'm using an EMGO, available from Amazon. It's the only direct replacement paper filter. Emiel Gomez is a long-time parts guy, met him at IOM in '99. He sources OEM providers and sells products under his own brand. Google EMGO and see what ya find, available from various vendors.

How do you clean the OEM one?

Phil, I read a few years ago that the OEM were so durable that you can treat them as if they were a K&N. You can get the clean/oil kits with out buying the filter.
Spray the cleaner on it, let it sit a bit, wash with cold water from the inside and dry. When dry apply a LIGHT coat of the spray on oil.
I have two or three and I always had one ready to go in so i didn't have to wait for it to dry.
The first time I did it I had a white shop rag in the sink to see if any of the fibers were being washed out with the dirt. I saw nothing to indicate it was a bad practice.

I think I looked up the dimensional specs on the CA351 filter and noticed the OD is much bigger than the stock filter. I was concerned the resulting decrease in distance between the outside of the CA351 and the inside of the air box would cause restriction at the high RPM's. So I went with the HiFlo filter, too. It appears to be made well.

I think I looked up the dimensional specs on the CA351 filter and noticed the OD is much bigger than the stock filter. I was concerned the resulting decrease in distance between the outside of the CA351 and the inside of the air box would cause restriction at the high RPM's. So I went with the HiFlo filter, too. It appears to be made well.

The Fram Ca351 fits late 70/early 80 Ford v8 trucks that roughly get 10 mpg. It will certainly flow enough air for the ST1100 at redline.

Phil,it doesn't take much of either. Even if you over use both the cleaner and oil, you still have enough in the small cans to do several filters. I would guess you could do 5 or 6. You reall don't use much oil. The first time I did it I went overboard and I had red oil pooled in the bottom of the holder. Even if you only did all three filters twice,, what would you have spent on new OEM units?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/K-N-99-5000...Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c70ca7e18&vxp=mtr
This looks like the set I have. $15,,,,even if you only try it once it doesn't hurt much.

Top Bottom