ST1100 Bridgestone T32 GT Tyres quick review

G'day Guys

I live in Perth ,Western Australia and I'm the proud owner of a blue and gold 1998 ST1100 abs and this will be my first post.

Having purchased the ST six months ago I've managed to put several thousand k's on the bike which have predominately consisted of day trips and hills runs. The ST is comfortable, smooth and surprisingly rapid. Which leads me to the Bridgestone's. When I purchased the bike she was sporting squared and worn Avon GT's. They still possessed plenty of tread but gave the bike a tendency to run wide in corners and needed lots of leverage at the bars to turn in. Certainly not confidence inspiring. I knew I had purchased a touring machine but didn't expect the handling to be so poor. Enter the T32's. A service including the addition of brand new Bridgestone T32 GT's has transformed the handling and my opinion of the bike. Predictable turn in combined with holding the desired line, smooth transitions plus enough grip to grind my boots. I wouldn't call the ST agile but she is more than capable of getting the heart pumping in the twisty bits. 1000k's in and no discernable wear.!!!! I'm running a 120/70 front and 170/60 rear. Standard rear should be a 160 but Bridgestone don't make that size in the GT compound. It gives a more rounded profile and at a guess it might help with turning the bike quicker?? One thing is for sure. I wont be running out of rubber. There's still half an inch of chicken strip left!?! Any way you look at it the grip and feel of the T32's is amazing. I chose the GT version as half the riding I expect to be doing is 2 up with luggage. Its early days yet but I did 9,000k's with T31's on my XJR and for the first 7/8000ks they wore well and grip was amazing for sport touring rubber. If the T32's can deliver the same on a bike that is 400kg + (including rider/s) I'll be stoked. I've read the GT compound can be harsh/bumpy but I haven't noticed it to be honest and I tend to run my tyre pressures at the upper end.
I cant recommend the T32's enough. My ST rolled of the production line over 20 yrs ago and the T32's on it now are superior in every way to the rubber that adorned her then. If only the prices were the same :)

Pete

Ps I run sportier and more expensive tyres on several of my other bikes and I suspect its only my ego and the odd track day the keeps me doing so.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
I like the T32s. Very positive, nice ride. Certainly the best of the Bridgestones that I have used out of Exedra, BT020, 021, 023, T30, T31, T32

Does the 170 rear not prevent the ABS from arming itself when you set off ?

I found that the 1100 became rather heavier to steer as tyres wore down. It required a very firm countersteer push on the bars to get it to go 'over the edge' of a squared off tyre. Ok when you got used to it, but we had only the ply exedras for the 1100 when I first started riding one.

I've did not have the same problem when I was able to switch to the BT020 radials which I have gone back to on a number of occasions. A good stand by on the 1300. But The T32 is giving me the best ride yet and will be my new standard.

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
I found terrible handling with T31s until I came down to 35/37. It seems Honda bikes almost always end up near 36/38. I would expect similar on the 32s.

skidgillen

Site Supporter
Bike
2005 ST1300PA
I have 7000 miles on the T32 GT's right now. So far these have been the best tires I have run on the ST1300. Great handling, great grip, excellent tip in to corners, smooth ride....Hopefully they will last as long as my last set of Dunlop Roadsmart 3's which was 9956 miles.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Are you running the GT version of them?
I was going to pick up the T32 for mine (Non-ABS).
One of each. The rear is non GT. I installed them just before ONSToc and have about 3k on them now. Very pleased with them. I’d be out riding on it now but work has taken me to Winnipeg for the next month and I felt I would be riding home in the snow so left the 1100 home. On the Vespa instead. ;)

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
It might be worth getting in touch with Bridgestone tech department. One of their earlier tyres for the ST1100 (BT 023) they recommended the one that was not the heavy duty (GT) spec. In testing they discovered that the normal spec tyre performed better with the 1100.
I did post the email exchange that I had with them on here, but it might have been deleted. I'll check.

The Bridgestone website doesn't seem to mention the GT spec any more, although I am always able to order the T32 GT for the 1300.
But the tech dept will know which one is best suited.

edit. No- the post has gone (my error in a clearout). I'll dig out the details and repost it when i get back to my PC

Last edited:

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
I was picturing Robert zooming on the Vespa down a gravel road with the Kilt a' flailing in the wind!
It's not a gravel road but the kilt is flying.
He is cheating and carrying it there
Guilty! I must admit the rig worked extremely well.
So far riding around Winnipeg on a Vespa is a blast!

Top Bottom