ST1100 - carb sync summary

Bee

Bike
2002 Blue ST1100
Afternoon all, having just looked there are 20 pages to scroll through in relation to synching carbs. Got to about page 14, I think I have it nailed but would appreciate one of the forum ‘yoda’s’ to just rubber stamp this for me. (2002 registered bike completely standard).

Ignore the Haynes manual, it’s wrong.
Warm the engine.
Just Let it idle.
Plastics off but leave the air box etc all in place.
Connect up the 4 vacuum lines to my 4 gauges ( I happen to have the Morgan Carbtune Pro4 stainless steel slider rod gizmo)
Adjust the three other carbs to number #4, doesn’t matter which order as they are NOT linked.

Done.

Just one muppet question, as you sit on the bike, is #4 on the LHS nearest me ( i.e.at the back)

TIA

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
The only other thing I do is adjust the fuel mixture at this time as a good solid idle help to synchronize the carbs accurately. I use a similar method as Honda describes using a slight idle drop from best idle rpm. I do check sync. at various rpm's as well.

Reactions: Bee
OP
OP
Bee

Bee

Bike
2002 Blue ST1100
The only other thing I do is adjust the fuel mixture at this time as a good solid idle help to synchronize the carbs accurately. I use a similar method as Honda describes using a slight idle drop from best idle rpm. I do check sync. at various rpm's as well.
Appreciate the tip, I have just swapped out the plugs and they looked great TBH. All identical in colour so I’m very happy about the mixture.

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
The only other tip that I have is to clamp off the line to the vacuum valve (to maintain vacuum with it). The line going to the vacuum valve is for the carb number three. If you don’t do this, the bike will run out of gas, sputter, and die. I learned that by trial and error. If you want to cap off the valve, you can use a small rubber cap on the valve or just use a piece of line to the valve and clamp it off. It might be better to do the line coming from the valve and clamp while it has vacuum applied.

Reactions: Bee

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Before syncing, connect all 4 of your Carbtune hoses to one single vacuum port to make sure all four channels are reading equally. They don't really need to be accurate, they just need to read equivalent. If not, just account for the differences when syncing.

Top Bottom