ST1100 ... clouds of smoke, exhaust "sludge" ... then clears if ridden

My point was that the wet plug should be the #3 cylinder, not #2 as was mentioned. A one-way fuel check valve inside the tank/pump assy should have no effect on a single cylinder’s plug.

As a one-time mod to make carb sync’g easy, many of us have inserted a “T” in the #3 intake manifold vacuum hose to the Auto Fuel Valve, adding a short length of hose with a cap to be removed for the sync tool hose.

John

OK thanks a lot guys, really appreciate the advice.

I'm going to refit the vacuum cut-off, re-check the oil level, test the thermostat, and do a compression test.

Will report back!

SOLVED! Guys it was the main jet of Carb No 3, it had worked its way loose and dropped down by about 3mm (almost falling out into the float bowl). New oil change and oil filter, and a good run and the bike is now perfect.

Lesson - pay close attention to torque when re-assembling carb components!

Thanks again to all :)

Did you re-install the vac. fuel valve? Just a reminder, when removing it, don't forget to plug the vac. line for the fuel valve.

Guys it was the main jet of Carb No 3, it had worked its way loose and dropped down by about 3mm (almost falling out into the float bowl).
Weird, just did the carbs on my '94 and noticed like a notch you have to get by when turning the new idle jets back in (feels like dealing with a nylon-nut)...
But good that you located the source of trouble :cool:

glad to hear you got it sorted. BTW, reading through the thread I saw a suggestion that the t-stat may be stuck open because your temp gauge is in the lower range while riding, that's not true. That's normal for the ST1100, the gauge will run just a little above the left end of the gauge 'arc' while moving at ~40mph or better.

Weird, just did the carbs on my '94 and noticed like a notch you have to get by when turning the new idle jets back in (feels like dealing with a nylon-nut)...
But good that you located the source of trouble :cool:
I think you've nailed it on the head so to speak, I've been wondering how on earth it wasn't tight enough! In my precaution of putting the thin cloth etc around the spanner/wrench, I probably thought that was the seating of the thread but it wasn't.

glad to hear you got it sorted. BTW, reading through the thread I saw a suggestion that the t-stat may be stuck open because your temp gauge is in the lower range while riding, that's not true. That's normal for the ST1100, the gauge will run just a little above the left end of the gauge 'arc' while moving at ~40mph or better.
Ah I thought that was the case! My last ST1100, the blue one, it was the same, but as I have been riding my K1100 (sorry for the language) in between, I'd forgotten :)

Back
Top Bottom