ST1100 dead on side of OK freeway

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
On the 2nd day of my ride to CT/RI I have just passed 2 pickups, a duelly with a trailer and a semi so I'm going East at a *spirited* pace when suddenly the bike begins to slow.
A quick check shows a falling tach and all the appropriate gauge readings (i.e. plenty of gas).
I twist the throttle; but, continue to slow; so, in comes the clutch and I coast to the top of the rise where I pull over and stop as the bike dies.
I get off and look at the bike... and then around me... not good...
I start thinking (not always a *smart* idea! :))...
It's cold and rainy... carb icing?
The bike has 82000 miles...
1) Rick's fuel filter?
2) The vacuum fuel shutoff?

If it is carb icing the bike will start working a bit after the ice melts...
I don't have a spare fuel filter (but, I might change the one that is installed!).
If it is the shutoff I will need to strip the bike so... I start stripping.
I get everything off and I check for carb icing by trying to start the bike. No go... it does sputter but, not enough to make me think it was iced.
So I reroute around the vacuum shutoff, hit the starter, it turns for a bit and roars to life. YES!!!!

Thanks Big Tom for your descripton of your failure when you trailered the bike and then fixed it at home! :)

Mark

Attachments

• trp 001 (Large).jpg
    trp 001 (Large).jpg
    113 KB · Views: 485
  • trp 002 (Large).jpg
    trp 002 (Large).jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 486
  • trp 003 (Large).jpg
    trp 003 (Large).jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 400
  • trp 004 (Large).jpg
    trp 004 (Large).jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 340
That's using you noggin! Glad you got it going and back on the road!!

PO pulled the vac fuel valve, I recently pulled the Air pump system. I like "simple"!

Always glad to be of service:) Really glad that is what it was.

You can't even *imagine* how pleased I was to hear that engine catch!

(well maybe you can... middle of nowhere, 2nd day of an 11 day trip and supposed to meet Joe at a freeway gas station in 3 hours...)

You are "THE MAN!" I like to tinker with my bike, but I would have NEVER thought of doing what you did!

Great job!

Mark:

You should have called. I'm in the RAN list. More than happy to help any way I can with you or anyone else stranded in Oklahoma.

Glad you got it sorted out.

Steve

Mark:

You should have called. I'm in the RAN list. More than happy to help any way I can with you or anyone else stranded in Oklahoma.

Glad you got it sorted out.

Steve

Thanks.
I had the RAN list; but, I wasn't on the side of the road long enough... :)

If it hadn't caught I would have called!
Trust me; I was really working through *all* the possibilities as I coasted to a stop... :rolleyes:

You are "THE MAN!" I like to tinker with my bike, but I would have NEVER thought of doing what you did!

Great job!

To fracture someone else's metaphor: "Neccessity focuses the mind gloriously"...
:)

The diaphram fails.
When it fails the engine vacuum isn't; so... no gas flows...

Yup.
Look at the 1st two pictures.
You'll see the fuel filter connected directly to a line that disappears under the airbox.
You'll also see one line that originally connected to the fuel filter and an open connector at the top of the cutoff unit.
I pulled the lines off the fuel filter (bottom line on unit that is still connected) and top connector (seen open at top of unit).

Mark:

Where exactly did you have your side-of-the-road interlude?

Steve

Good question!
The road was no longer straight, there were some hills and the wind was coming from the right! :D
I only know the next city of any size was Weatherford.
On 40 and as near as I can tell somewhere between Erick and Foss...

Thinking about this I note this is when a GPS would be *really* nice to have!
And suspect I'll buy a pocket model so I can use it as an emergency locator in the future.

Good work Mark. :bow1: I hope this is the last of the problems. Is this something to keep in mind as a possible problem on the ST1100? Mine is 95, so it has more years, so some parts are older than yours. This way I do not need to remove all the plastic to compare the design between the two models. I expect that it is the same. Mama-Honda sticks with proven product.

Ride safe and may the roads and weather be good to you.

Petar :tools1:

Back
Top Bottom