ST1100 Front Brake Pad replacement...

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I wouldn't use brake cleaner (acetone) anywhere near the rubber caliper piston seals...
+1...
wisely given advise... I make a few, careful wipes with pipe cleaners (chenille stem) followed by a gentle blow with compressed air to clean the exposed areas of the brake pistons... upon assembly copper slip or Anti Seize on the pins, their threads and in particular on the threads of the retaining cap... I check/notice a lot more during this actually simple task, like that its time for an overhaul when it takes noticeable force to push the pistons in (if I cannot push them smoothly in with two thumbs applied and the other fingers grabbing over the rotor, something is off...) , the condition/clearance of the 'float pins', the anti-dive valve, the rotors, possible cracks on the brake lines, possible uneven wear of the pads (never had that on my STs yet, but seen on others...), I also 'fillet' the edges of the new OEM pads with some sand paper before installation; maybe superstition but it doesn't seem to 'hurt' either... and once the new pads are in: pump them brakes back up, make a functional check by spinning the unloaded wheel by hand while tap the brake levers, they must 'bite' instantly but also fully release again... and finally: check the fluid level in the reservoir! With new pads it should be on the MAX line, not above, but not below either... (on a properly filled system the fluid level acts as wear indicator...) MHO, YMMV...

craigstys

STOC #8621 Now on my 2nd ST1100
Bike
1999 ST1100X
STOC #
Thank you folks, advice well taken. It was just a small shot before I even opened the pad pin covers. Still OK a few days later, so I consider myself fortunate.

Top Bottom