ST1100 Horn Upgrade

ChriSTian_64

Site Supporter
Bike
2000 ST1100Y
STOC #
I always found the stock horn on our STeed, lack some power. It sounds like the one I had on my Honda CT 70 mini trail.

A dual trumpet air horn might be fun and of some help to warn a lazy cat slowly walking across the road.

But before going thru such an installation, I could probably start by just replacing the existing horn by a stronger unit.

I saw these 12 volts, "Freeway Blaster Horns", 130 dB, drawing 5 amps in a local store (Princess auto, a canadian equivalent of Harbour Freigth).

I'm not sure how much amps the stock horn on the ST1100 is drawing.
What do you think of these ? What is your experience with horn upgrades.

Also, as you can see, the air trumpets have about the same strength (135 dB), but, since they are more directionnal, they surely are much louder.

20210412_161539.jpg

mello dude

Half genius, half dumazz whackjob foole
No matter what horn upgrade you decide, its worth adding a relay to the circuit. Its easy peasy... .

I like the Panasonic mini relay from -- CycleTerminal - great for compact space.....

jrp

Bike
ST1100AW
STOC #
I always found the stock horn on our STeed, lack some power. It sounds like the one I had on my Honda CT 70 mini trail.

A dual trumpet air horn might be fun and of some help to warn a lazy cat slowly walking across the road.

But before going thru such an installation, I could probably start by just replacing the existing horn by a stronger unit.

I saw these 12 volts, "Freeway Blaster Horns", 130 dB, drawing 5 amps in a local store (Princess auto, a canadian equivalent of Harbour Freigth).

Also, as you can see, the air trumpets have about the same strength (135 dB), but, since they are more directionnal, they surely are much louder.

20210412_161539.jpg
I just installed both the high and low tone freeway blasters. I used the same 20-amp relay as mello from Cycle Terminal. They are louder than the stock horn. Had to lay on them last week when someone almost cut me off. Got their attention.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
No matter what horn upgrade you decide, its worth adding a relay to the circuit. Its easy peasy... .
Agreed. I did that on my Nighthawk, except I used an automotive fusible link for my auxiliary power circuit.

I like the Panasonic mini relay from -- CycleTerminal - great for compact space.....
Agreed again. I used a pair of those for my headlight-relay conversion; they actually fit in the headlight shell.

Bike
2005 st1300

20210412_161539.jpg
I installed the same freeway blasters on mine (both high and low tones). They are bloody loud... perfect and well worth the money. And yes, to confirm what others say, run a seperate circuit/relay to power them, using the stock wires to trigger the relay

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
I installed one of those 5amp horns direct to the original horn wiring. I'd worked out the load on the circuit that came from the horn fuse and concluded that it could handle the bit if extra current. It is Plenty loud enough, well pleased. Denali Mini Sound Bomb.

Then a few months down the road - no, scrub that - a few months of lockdown in the garage, I noticed that the horn wouldn't sound unless the engine was running. Recognising the early sign of a possible battery failure, I bought a new Yuasa battery. Same thing.

I had the St1300 nose off, and while doing some other rewiring, I replaced the horn wiring with a relay. That all worked perfectly well. It doesn't make sense why that should work but not the original. I need to check out the connectors in the circuit that feeds the original horn, now triggering the relay- I reckon there is probably one that is oxidising and creating more resistance - but I was already on far too many sidetracks for now.

Whatever. Relay is better, the feed comes direct from the battery.

I've often wondered about having a really, really loud horn, and the possibility of making someone panic react in the wrong way, rather than to respond appropriately. I'm undecided.

Bike
VStrom 650

20210412_161539.jpg
Hi bud.
+1 Denali Mini Soundbomb.
Not daft loud but a good improvement over standard.
No need for any wiring mods.
It goes from Honda C50 meep meep, to BMW 5 Series BEEP BEEP!
Hope it helps.
The horn will line up with one of the fairing outlets in the front panel so no sound is lost. It goes where it should straight out the front.
Upt'North. DSC00111.jpg

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
Old thread of a Stebel install on an 1100
Still working to this day.... usu the relay gets water so seal it or get a water proof.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
The freeway blasters will work fine. Get both the low and high tones. (I bought the PA ones for my STeed on sale last year.) Install a relay so you don't blow a fuse.

Wire fused power from battery to relay in, relay out to horns. The relay "trigger" power is the OEM power wire for the stock horn. Relay ground can be either stock ground wire or to the frame somewhere. Just like mello dude's photo.

My thoughts for the advantage of the Freeway Blasters over the air horn shown is if the compressor fails you have no horn.
If one freeway blaster fails you still have the other tone.

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
I installed the Fiamm Highway Blasters over the winter. Same relay as everyone else here. The Fiamms can be had cheap on Rockauto.com, but you have to pay attention to the part numbers. I think I paid $6 each. Seriously. Here's a pic of both installed in the factory location. Pretty tight squeeze and I had to trim the inner tupperware where it was already clearances for the stock horn. Loud, cheap, effective.

RT20210311_130711.jpg

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Last edited:

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS

jrp

Bike
ST1100AW
STOC #

20210412_161539.jpg
Look at this thread for additional ideas on the various mounting options:

Bike
2002 ST1300A
STOC #
daft loud...from Honda C50 meep meep, to BMW 5 Series BEEP BEEP
I once installed twin Stebel's and a twin cone airhorn on my bike, all with relays, and the air compressor in the rear of the bike, with the horns up front... takes a little time to build pressure & send it to the front, meanwhile the Stebel's being electric are instant-on (or as near as).

That was daft loud, and went from a C50 "meep meep" to a Scania "HOO-HAAA!" - that made me giggle every time I used it, usually a taxi driver looking confused why there was a bike where he just heard a truck...

On the 1300, I'm still running the stock meeper, and have been meaning to find a space for a larger horn... maybe this thread will inspire me to remove the tupperware...

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
My favorite 'horn' story I call a 'Latte Launch' -
On a 4 lane in the right lane coming up beside a big SUV whose driver was busy sipping her latte and talking on the phone.
I was watching - expecting something and I was not surprised.
When I got right beside her open right window, she decided to 'occupy' my space without looking.
I hit my dual Fiamm Blasters and she promptly launched her latte into the air and snatched it back into her lane.
I just waved at her and smiled and proceeded to get out of Dodge. :biggrin:

OP
OP
ChriSTian_64

ChriSTian_64

Site Supporter
Bike
2000 ST1100Y
STOC #
Hey, thank you very much everyone.

I haven't realised before, that those "Freeway Blasters" where known for some years and that they were a good value.
At first, they just looked as a possible solution for me. But I was still hesitating.

With all your comments, I'm now convinced. So, I will buy the pair, and a relay.
I'm still a bit busy for now, but at least, I will get the parts, and install that a bit later during the summer.

Thanks again everyone.

Top Bottom