ST1100 Life Expectancy of an OEM clutch

Bike
Yamaha Tracer 900 GT
I know this is a loaded question but what can an ST1100 owner expect out of an OEM Clutch. I've just purchased another ST1100 with 58K on the clock and the owner told me it was running still on its original clutch.

As far as I know, unless you’re burning it up (or prior owner has), it is likely a ‘lifetime‘ clutch. I would assume very few people on here have replaced them. I’d say you’re likely good til 150 K at least

The life of the clutch is totally dependent on the way the bike is used. If you are a long distance rider or tour frequently the clutch may last almost forever. If you ride in town and stop and start frequently the clutch may wear out. Police bikes and the ST1300 and St1100 Police bikes are known to need new clutches now and then due to operating in traffic and frequent stops and starts.

Dan

Thank all of you for your replies to my question. The bike was babied and used mainly for touring the states so I'll guess that it has some significant life left in it.

123k miles on my ST1100. 65/35 touring/commuting. Clutch working just fine.

The clutch is probably the part/assembly whose longevity depends on the rider's operation more than any other. It wears when slipping, so should ideally always be either engaged or disengaged, but of course, we must slip it to start from a stop.

Thus, its life depends on gentle use, meaning don't do drag-strip starts with full throttle and raising the font wheel. Once you get going, you can let it rip. Also, don't keep pulling the clutch lever against resistance; fingers off unless you're using it.

188k miles on the 93 that I gave my nephew, STill going strong! Oh, I frequently "quick shift" upshift without the clutch.

75K plus miles on mine and like the others the clutch seems good to go another 75,000 miles. Imho I don't use much engine braking when i down shift to a stop. I think this more than anything saves your clutch. I would rather replace the brake pads a little earlier that a clutch overhaul.

58,000 - if it was cared for it's just getting broken in well.
I have a 97 with 118K miles that really wasn't taken care of (too well) until about 60K when I got it. I recently had to replace the slave cylinder (had to rebuild it shortly after buying) and driveline, but the clutch still feels solid!

152K on an 01, only clutch maintenance is to drain and flush the system periodically. Have a ways to go to catch up to John, sirepair and I'm sure a few others!
Craig

I went over 220K miles on factory clutch. Maybe a couple MC rebuilds and a couple brass replacements.. No SC change out.

Back
Top Bottom