ST1100 Need help, rear brake pads

I need a little help with changing the rear brake pads on my 1100. I have removed the front bolt, and rear pin so that the caliper is off the rotor, but I can't get the pin out that holds the pads in the caliper. I have a "Honda" service manual that shows what looks like a threaded pin that screws into the caliper, with something that looks like a cap that covers the head of that pin. On the bike itself the head of that pin looks like a regulat sloted end that you would remove with a regular straight screwdriver. There is no way however that I can get that sucker to budge, so before I completely screw up the end, I thought I would ask if there was any special proceedure here. I have done dozens of brake jobs in my life, but this is the first on an ST1100.

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
IIRC, the cap has the slotted head on it, the actual pin is an allen (hex) head. I found it easier to loosen/remove the cap and pin while the caliper was still attached.

Some penetrating oil overnight will help, or a hammer-type impact driver.

juddspaintballs

Dual Sport Touring
Bike
KTM 1090 Adventure R
STOC #
try spraying some pb blaster on the slotted cap first. IIRC, that cap shouldn't be that tight (18N/m I think?). if it's tight now, check torque spec before retightening after you're all done.

Rebal-Yell

Donnie (This Is Duke)
Bike
08 St1300
Merlin, put the caliper back on, spray it with Pb blaster, or liquid wrench. It will be much easyer loosening the screws with the cal. Attatched. Donnie:)

Keep the Rubber on the Road-And the wind in your Face

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Once that cap is removed, toss it in the trash and get the rubber plug speced for the 1300. If the "hanger pin" gives ya trouble, grab it with some vice grips between the pads and jiggle it til it breaks loose (apply the PB Blaster to the head before hand.)

BTDT too many times to count.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Hi STeve,

A large screwdriver may be all that you need to get that cap loose. Then put some anti-seize on it during reinstall. While you're at it, clean the pistons and inspect/relube the caliper slider pins with high-temp silcone or moly grease. Here's some pictures with captions that may be of interest:
http://rides.webshots.com/album/551173257ZoegDt

HTH

John

OP
OP
merlin
Thanks for all the advice, and the great pics John. I soaked it last night with some penetrating fluid. I hope I have better success today.

Top Bottom