ST1100 Police Alternator seizes now not charging Any ideas please?

Ditto, thanks

Still waiting for Haynes manual.
Can someone please tell me how to test the alternator voltage.
Running through alternator diagnostics. Proved all lines. Just need to prove the voltage output of the alternator, with the cables disconnected from it. Need to know where the positive and negative probes go.

Thanks

Richard

Right,

I'm probably doing it wrong, but...

Disconnected charging lead from alternator.
Checked voltage between Alternator connector and positive terminal on battery. 12.6v
Started engine.
Voltage still 12.6 @ 1000rpm
Engine kept at 3000rpm voltage @ 8.3v.
So....What does that mean?

I await the spill of the fountain of knowledge stored in the minds of the st-owners.com members. If there is a torrent of abuse for connecting to the wrong parts, then I'll accept that as well.

Richard

PS. Will have to try and figure out how these smileys work. Keep on posting url links.

Hi Richard, I'm confused where you had the charging lead from the alternator during your tests. If it is disconnected then you would have only been checking the battery. This will account for the voltage dropping as the bike drains the power out of the thing when running. My battery does not drop that much when the alt is not charging. You might have a dying battery too.
I'm sure you have done a test on the battery terminals first before disconnecting everything. If the alternator is charging and is connected it would show on the meter at the battery unless you have a blown fuse or broken cable.
I could be wrong but the alternator needs a battery feed to "excite" the coils etc before it pushes out a charge. If you run it without any power connected it will show zero output. Not a 100% sure on that but either way you could do with a proper alternator tester like the type from snap on or Halfords. It has LEDs and tells you whats not working.
I'm sure others will guide you on this. Looking at it either way the unit has to come out the bike (I presume) to change anything so its bite the bullet time.

I'm in the same boat... I'm just plucking up courage to start stripping my bike down!!
Cheers Mark

Thanks Mark,
I know what you mean, bite the bullet time.
I'm in the process of consultation for redundancy, so can't really afford to take some time off work. I need to find out almost exactly what the problem is before I start stripping the bike, as I need to get a quick turnaround. I need to get the right parts in ready.

Regards
Richard

Got prices for a NEW replacement 40A alternator, and had to sit down.

Cheapest is ?325 + VAT and shipping. ?397 ($633). :-?

Honda UK quote ?541.47 + VAT =?650 ($1038). :22yikes:

Service Honda in the US are selling for $413.38 + $75 shipping. $489. :wave1:

They'll send to the UK, but UK customs will then charge me duty and Tax = ?390 ($622).:mad:

Richard

Guess so.
Just that if I've go to spend the time stripping, and re-building the bike, do I want to put a second hand one in there?
I'll try the part finder route, that Hound suggested tomorrow. I was going to buy a new one, and get the old repaired, and sell it to cover some of the cost.
Richard

That's certainly an option, but only if you can afford to buy new and refurbish old...... wonder what the refurb will sell for?

Not sure.
Strange thing. Just did a part number search (31100-MAJ-G41) on g00gle.
A german website called al-electric dot de. A goldwing alternator Hitachi LR140-708 with reference to the ST11 part number.
Any german speakers on here. might it be similar enough to use? I know the connections are in a different place, but?
You never know?
Richard

I would have thought, that if a second hand one straight off the bike, culd sell for ?200, then a refurbished witha warranty, could do the same at least.

Richard

The Hitachis which I have seen off Wings are completely different in mounting than the ST1100 alternators.

I exchanged email addresses with someone by PM but haven't heard further so if the person would email to let me know what is their status it would be appreciated as I don't like to think that someone is waiting on failed communication from me.

To tired tonight to go through the alternator procedures but will try to get to it tomorrow or Sunday. An reminder would be helpful if someone is inclined and doesn't see anything by Sunday night (Pacific time zone).

The 40 amp alternator does, theoretically, require power to the rotor field in order to start charging but try a bunch of them and you will find that there is sufficient residual magnetism in some to start self-energizing. Safe bet is that they need battery.

A special alternator tester can be useful but not required as they simply check voltage, look for the presence of AC and for drop-outs in the DC output pulses.

First thing is to absolutely ensure that you have a proven circuit through each wire to the alternator. Do not trust a voltmeter because a circuit which can sustain only a few milli-amps will still show full voltage if no other load than the DVM is connected.

Off to bed. We posted a number of photos of disassembled 40 amp and other info on My-Mc so it would be preferable to hear that you have looked over there before going through the same information again.

I have overhauled 100's of alternators and been into many of these little ND guys and they are a super little alternator.

HIH

Norm

Thanks Norm:D

It was along shot, and thought others would have looked for cheaper options.:eek:: I've sent approx 60 emails to various bike breakers today, hoping one has an alternator.:pray1:

Another charging question. When I'm not using the bike, I am able to park it where it can be continually on a battery maximiser. As I need to use in 5 days in 7, is the constant charge/discharge going to cause any problems with the battery?

Richard

Hey I've read all the threads to this about your Alternator and I think you best off buying a new one, sorry to bare the bad news, I'm currently waiting for my new one to arrive as they are rare to find in the first place, let alone a decent one, then try and protect your new one by making a sheild underneath the machine to preserve your new expensive new addition :rimshot1:

HI Mrfixit,
Had a long email chat with Dave off another UK ST forum. He thinks it may be just the brushes on mine. Going to go down that route first, before having to buy a new one. Where did you order yours from?

Richard

Back
Top Bottom