ST1100 Proper Riding Position?

OP
OP
jacMA
Bike
2000 ST1100
...I didn't think I'd get a revision on this thread. Now that I've been riding the ST for several months, I'm very comfortable. I added risers (1" if I recall) and all is well. I've been on the bike all day without issue. It was a transition from going from a cruiser to the ST and I didn't like it at first, but as I logged the miles, I've grown to love it. This past summer I've been having fun flipping bikes, so I get to see more of what I like and don't...the ST is a constant for me. Latest flip is a Suzuki V-Strom DL1000 with a 'very' upright position...I guess you can't really say "very upright" kind of redundant, but you know what I mean ;)

I too don't like the cruiser position, but I also don't like the sport lean. I'm 6'3" and the OEM position bent my knees and hips so much that I couldn't ride even one hour without stopping to walk it off.

Since the foot-pegs are fixed in place, you must first position your butt in a place that suits your legs, then position your hands in a place that suits where your shoulders end up. So, here's what I did:

My '01 came with Helibars already installed, but set as low as they could be to suit the previous owner. I raised them to the highest position, which was a great improvement, but my legs still burned.

After a couple of tries, I found a Russell Daylong seat for sale locally, so I took it for a test ride and brought it home. It moved me far up and back enough that my knees actually didn't contact the fairing.

Of course, that improvement rendered the handlebar no longer high enough, so I replaced the stock bar clamps with 3" risers, which once again allow me to sit upright and comfortable for an hour or more.

Note in the first pic how thick the seat is, as well as how wide, flat, and not tilted forward it is. Also note how high the grips are compared to the shape of the fairing. My legs have no complaints now.

In my opinion, another long-ride must is a set of highway pegs, which allow a different part of your butt and thighs to bear your weight and allow the blood to circulate better, minimizing numbness.

1672471484234.png 1672471503217.png
Hate to bother you Larry but where did you find those 3” ones. All I see is Rox these days and 1”. Thanks in advance!

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Hate to bother you Larry but where did you find those 3” ones. All I see is Rox these days and 1”. Thanks in advance!
I searched for "handlebar risers" on eBay, sorted by "price plus shipping, low to high" and just kept scrolling until I found a picture of what I wanted.

I have made some DIY knee pads, so my knees don't bump on the hard plastic, and it made a huge difference. The Heli bars price really is out of this world, so they are a no-go. The lowered foot pegs seem interesting and a good idea, but I would rather try to bring the seat up a little bit in the front, so I can correct the angle of the seat itself. Not sure how I will do that, but I will give it a thought. Although it will look not as good on the bike, I am willing to sacrifice some visual appeal for a bit more comfort.

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
The ST1100s seating position is not as comfortable as I thought a sport tourer should be. I think it is a combination of the things. Longitudinal V4 so your knees are cramped, but that isn't a big problem since you can put them to the side, although this makes your thighs too abduct.

My biggest problem is lower neck pain and sitting on my nuts constantly. Neck pain I think is due to the slightly leaned forward position (although I have 20mm bar risers), and the lack of headwind (because of the windscreen). I ended up buying a new even lighter helmet to remedy this, and it did help, but didn't cure the problem. The seat is very comfortable overall, but because of the slightly leaned forward seating position and the tilt of the seat itself, I constantly pitch or seat on my balls.

Has anyone dealt with these problems, or is it just me? On longer rides, I just don't feel comfortable. On my Aprilia enduro bike the more upright seating position has never given me such problems, although the seat is like half the width of the STs, in the end it feels more comfortable. I am 6.1, long legs, and I am familiar with the leaned forward seating position: back straight and muscles engaged, shoulders down, chest up front, arms loose.

This is bumming me out because I love the bike overall. :dr11:
I dont have trouble with the nuts thing. My ex still has them!

So here is what I did. Small thing do make a difference. You can't lift the front of the seat much without major modifications, and that I will not do. So what I did is I took the seat off and added like 1.5mm additional rubber on the two front seat rubber pads. Then I removed the four rubber pads in the middle of the seat. This way the front of the seat goes up and the rear part of the drivers part of the seat goes down => the angle of the seat is more neutral. The difference this makes is little but can be felt, and actually the seat feels better on the bike than before, as in no squeaks or rattles.
Then I removed the rubber pads on the drivers foot pegs. This lets your feet go down 10-12mms. Then there was the tedious task of changing the foot controls, which on a normal bike would take like 5 mins tops, but on the ST it took me like two hours :eek: (with a beer break of course). The rear brake lever adjustment is the worst, and Honda engineers really should have thought of a service port or something to do it.
I took her for a short ride and I do need to ride more, but at first glance it is noticeably better. Surprisingly, there aren't significantly more vibrations without the rubbers in the pegs, I almost couldn't feel a difference. Wouldn't want to ride on the bare aluminum pegs in the rain though, because of the risk of slippage. If I like how it feels I may take a dremmel and make serrations in them (like dirt bike pegs), and I will be able to put the rubbers back on them again if I feel like it.

Bike
2000 ST1100
...I didn't think I'd get a revision on this thread. Now that I've been riding the ST for several months, I'm very comfortable. I added risers (1" if I recall) and all is well. I've been on the bike all day without issue. It was a transition from going from a cruiser to the ST and I didn't like it at first, but as I logged the miles, I've grown to love it. This past summer I've been having fun flipping bikes, so I get to see more of what I like and don't...the ST is a constant for me. Latest flip is a Suzuki V-Strom DL1000 with a 'very' upright position...I guess you can't really say "very upright" kind of redundant, but you know what I mean ;)
Yep I know what you mean. Did not like my brand new ST riding position at all. After my risers and 23 years later any other bike I sit on doesn't feel right.

Bike
ST1100X
STOC #
I found the standard seat to be comfortable for many hours in the saddle. But, I have been looking for something lower and was lucky to find this saddle seen in this comparison photo. It's very comfortable.......
1694201971032.png

Top Bottom