ST1100 Tire Change

Bike
2008 ST1300
STOC #
Friday I'm helping a fellow St rider put new tires on his 1100 I have since sold my 1100. I thought i kept my 1100 service manual but for the life of me I cannot find it. Does anybody have the torque specs for the front and rear brake calipers pinch bolts and front and rear axle if you could post that I greatly appreciate it

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Front axle bolt- 65 Ft-Lbs.
Front axle pinch bolts- 16 Ft-Lbs.
Right side caliper mounting bolts- 20 Ft-Lbs. ( (Upper 22 Ft-Lbs., lower 9 Ft-Lbs. with LBS)
Left side upper caliper mounting bolt- 20 Ft-Lbs. (22 Ft-Lbs. with LBS)
Left side lower caliper mounting bolt- 9 Ft-Lbs. (22 Ft-Lbs. with LBS)

Rear caliper stopper pin bolt- 51 Ft-Lbs.
Rear axle nut- lists 65 Ft-Lbs. in rear brake section chapter 15 and 80 Ft-Lbs. in the rear wheel removal/installation section chapter 14.
Rear axle pinch bolts- 20 Ft-Lbs.

The Owners Manual (small book that come with the bike) has torques for wheels and brakes.
My 97 ABS ST1100 is
1-Front Axle bolt 65 lbf-ft
2-Axle pinch bolts 20 lbf-ft
3- if ABS Sensor bolt 9 lb-ft
4-if ABS the 2- larger caliper allen bolts on the left sideand the upper caliper allen bolt are 22 lbf-ft
5-if ABS the lower/smaller allen bolt on the right caliperis 8 lbf-ft
6- Rear axl nut 80 lbf-ft
7-Rear axle holding bolt 20 lbf-ft

Thanks Phil, have all the tools necessary as I have owned 3 ST1100's, just needed a refresher on the torque settings as I have been riding my 1300 for about 3 years now.

If you have a Harbor Freight or a Sears near you, you can pickup a 14mm/15mm ratchet wrench that is bent about perfect for removing/installing the rear caliper stopper bolt. Like this -

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-5-pi...p-00943376000P?prdNo=8&blockNo=8&blockType=G8

or this -

http://www.harborfreight.com/4-pc-metric-offset-ratcheting-wrench-set-68833.html

only you just need the right one.

UP -

Don't you still need to get a socket on the stopper bolt to properly re-torque?

Ray

Ray - I suppose but then I just do what feels about right. I torque the others but I just don't worry about that one. Close to 300,000 miles between the three ST1100s and no problems with it falling out yet ... ;-) The purpose of it is to keep the caliper from rotating, not to hold down the caliper tightly in place. It's a 'stopper' bolt not a 'holding' bolt. ;-)

+1. Just use you arm torque wrench on that one. Honda even calls for that bolt to be replaced with new every time, but I've never done that either.

+1. Just use you arm torque wrench on that one. Honda even calls for that bolt to be replaced with new every time, but I've never done that either.

+10 - It would be a real pain to even get the thing out without removing the muffler. I only know of one rider that ever had one come completely out in 18 years of fussing with ST1100s.

Ray - I suppose but then I just do what feels about right. I torque the others but I just don't worry about that one. Close to 300,000 miles between the three ST1100s and no problems with it falling out yet ... ;-) The purpose of it is to keep the caliper from rotating, not to hold down the caliper tightly in place. It's a 'stopper' bolt not a 'holding' bolt. ;-)

Good point about being a stopper bolt.

Top Bottom