ST1100 wind deflectors for hands - 3D printed

jdmccright

Vendor
Bike
2000 ST1100
I originally posted my efforts in the "What did you do today?" thread, but I I've gotten a number of replies. So, I figured I'd just start a new thread on this rather than inadvertently hijack that one.

I've been looking to add wind deflectors to my ST, primarily in the winter months to help keep the hands warm. I'm not in favor of the OEM style for a few reasons: 1) they aren't available anymore, 2) they're huge, and 3) they are attached with bolts through the mirror cover that I do NOT want to drill into.

Therefore, I resolved to design my own and make them 3D-printable. These are smaller overall but still as tall as the OEMs, shorter ones won't provide enough deflection to miss the hands and also not blow into a jacket cuff. Plus, these clip onto the top edge of the mirror housing; no mounting screws/bolts are needed. So, they can be removed in the summer time to get more air when you want it.

Still refining the overall shape to fit better with the fairing lines, but wind deflection is quite good by kicking the slipstream a good 4-5 inches above the hand. And they don't move going at least 80mph...no deflection, bending, loosening, or vibrations. I am open to suggestions, but I think the overall height will have to stay about where it is to get the desired protection...maybe shave a few millimeters but we'll see. Needs more testing!

:rd11:

Once I finalize these, I'd be up to offering these for sale as well. The RH piece (when sitting on the bike) is a newer revision that closes the gap to the fairing better.
20210511_144205.jpg
16206026828454342173138895354814.jpg20210511_144214.jpg20210511_144156.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
jdmccright

jdmccright

Vendor
Bike
2000 ST1100
I haven't tested the mirror's full range, but I did make sure the clip was thin enough to clear it. Another thing to check. Thanks!

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
It would seem to me that that design would create a lot of turbulence around the hands. Why curve it up and into the wind, thus impeding the smooth flow of air?

Bike
2000 ST1100
Interesting concept, I thought someone might be making something similar to the OEM or Laminar ears but slightly larger, and maybe using Velcro to attach for easy removal.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
It would seem to me that that design would create a lot of turbulence around the hands. Why curve it up and into the wind, thus impeding the smooth flow of air?
I was wondering the same thing. They look like they might work better to that end rotated 180º.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
When it is all the way in, does it slide side to side? I am also noticing the slightest of curvature in the panel (flush in the middle, a slight gap on either end).

I can make some adjustments based on your answers and what I am seeing in the photos.
Are you still running two threads on this topic, because this post makes no sense here? o_O

No explanation to the questions raised by posts 4 and 7 in THIS thread?

OP
OP
jdmccright

jdmccright

Vendor
Bike
2000 ST1100
No, I just posted that to this thread by mistake, now deleted. Thanks for pointing that out. Didn't think anyone actually cared.

Re: shaping. Just because something doesn't look smooth doesn't mean it doesn't work. If anyone thinks that these tiny flaps are going to create more back side turbulence than a massive windscreen, they're focusing on the wrong thing. The ones I have are actually working great so far. I may curl the upper lip back to see how that changes things. Haven't considered reversing the curve yet but might for the sake of completeness.

I also haven't made any updates because I have many projects going, plus performing printer maintenance and upgrades. Once they're running again I can print the revisions.

OP
OP
jdmccright

jdmccright

Vendor
Bike
2000 ST1100
Thanks! I don't have an idea on a price yet. They are much larger than the carb access covers I already offer, and so I presume would be accordingly priced. I may put it to a poll, too.

Bike
2000 ST1100
With the increase in the number of personal 3D printers, has anyone tried to replicate the OEM deflectors? I looked all over the 'net and couldn't find that anyone had done so. It seems that there might be a market for these, or at least the file on how to make them. I saw the tech article on the home made one which got me thinking how something similar might be made on a 3D printer.

rogo

Site Supporter
Bike
'05 ST1300
2024 Miles
If I had a deflector to scan, I would give it a try. I'm thinking left and right sides should be symmetrical only need left or right.
Are the OEM deflectors pliable or rigid.

Bike
2000 ST1100
If I had a deflector to scan, I would give it a try. I'm thinking left and right sides should be symmetrical only need left or right.
Are the OEM deflectors pliable or rigid.
I have never seen one except in pictures. It would be nice to see someone make them again, maybe with options to be taller or with more coverage if you are using risers.

I originally posted my efforts in the "What did you do today?" thread, but I I've gotten a number of replies. So, I figured I'd just start a new thread on this rather than inadvertently hijack that one.

I've been looking to add wind deflectors to my ST, primarily in the winter months to help keep the hands warm. I'm not in favor of the OEM style for a few reasons: 1) they aren't available anymore, 2) they're huge, and 3) they are attached with bolts through the mirror cover that I do NOT want to drill into.

Therefore, I resolved to design my own and make them 3D-printable. These are smaller overall but still as tall as the OEMs, shorter ones won't provide enough deflection to miss the hands and also not blow into a jacket cuff. Plus, these clip onto the top edge of the mirror housing; no mounting screws/bolts are needed. So, they can be removed in the summer time to get more air when you want it.

Still refining the overall shape to fit better with the fairing lines, but wind deflection is quite good by kicking the slipstream a good 4-5 inches above the hand. And they don't move going at least 80mph...no deflection, bending, loosening, or vibrations. I am open to suggestions, but I think the overall height will have to stay about where it is to get the desired protection...maybe shave a few millimeters but we'll see. Needs more testing!

:rd11:

Once I finalize these, I'd be up to offering these for sale as well. The RH piece (when sitting on the bike) is a newer revision that closes the gap to the fairing better.
20210511_144205.jpg
16206026828454342173138895354814.jpg20210511_144214.jpg20210511_144156.jpg
Is it possible to buy the model?

Top Bottom