ST1300 Centre Stand Removal

Bike
2004 ST1300A4
Have just been trying to remove the centre stand on my 2004 Pan (83K miles), as the foot lever arm extension has snapped off. Header pipes finally came off, but will not split at the balance pipe (seized solid), and I could only manage to remove one of the oxygen sensors (disconnected the left hand one at its electrical connector). However, there is enough access to get to the main-stand pivot pipe. Removed split pin and the right-hand securing bolt and tried to drive pivot pipe out - no chance, absolutely solid. The pivot pipe is mild steel and it sits in 2 large cast alloy lugs, which are extensions of the engine casing. It looks like the root problem is corrosion between the 2 metals. I have soaked the pivot joints with WD40, but to date, no joy. I'm loathe to use too much force in hammering the pivot pipe out, as I fear fracturing the alloy castings. Likewise, I'm nervous of using a blow lamp. Anyone have any ideas, or experience of this problem?

Bike
2008 Silver ST1300
I take it that it is not possible to weld the foot lever back on then with the stand in situ? That said one other thing I can suggest is getting some penetrating oil (very thin), lube the tube and wait to allow it to penetrate, put a thin bar (such as from an old screwdriver with the end cut off) through the split pin holes then gently keep tapping the tube whilst at the same time trying to twist the tube with the bar. It may take a while but I think it should come out eventually.

Last edited:
Bike
1&2&3-2005 ST1300ABS
2024 Miles
STOC #
When my foot lever arm broke off of my older honda I had, I had and solid insert shaft/pipe made up and had it welded. Now I took mine off, but if you run out of luck getting it off, I'm sure you can have an insert made up and get a welder to weld it in place.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Thanks SupraSaber, very helpful:confused:
With my 1st '04 ST1300, I had to replace the headers, the mufflers and the centerstand. So, yeah, I pulled it all apart and was able to replace it all, no problem.

Pics: Wrecked2004

With my 2nd '04 ST1300, I have to replace the centerstand, but not the headers (although I will be replacing the mufflers. I have no intention of pulling the headers apart, just drop them down enough to be able to get at the centerstand bolt. So, my comment was, unless you have a real need to pull them apart, why do it?

Pics: Wrecked2004 No2

If for some reason you have to, then you are probably looking at replacing them, since it sounds like the corrosion is pretty bad.

Does that help more? ;)

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
Didn't I read on here somewhere that a mixture of diesel fuel and kerosene worked the best? For penetrating oil, that is. ff

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
You might want to try Kroil. Used in the firearms industry and others. It will creep into places other will not.
+1. This was the go-to un-sticker stuff at our house when I was growing up. You do have to be patient with it, though, while it works its magic.

OP
OP
manxman1957
Bike
2004 ST1300A4
Thanks for all the advice. Unfortunately, I have had to admit defeat. After 48 hours of soaking in Plus Gas (including many re-applications), and heating the alloy mounting lugs with a plumbers blow lamp until too hot to touch, and varying methods of trying to drift the errant pivot pin out, the only result was the mushrooming of the pivot pin end. So, enough is enough and I'm off to find a decent welder, and have the sheared off 'foot' re-attached with a strengthening insert, as per Al's post.

Kano Kroil is not available in the UK, but can be imported for silly money via EBay - I considered it, but as no guarantee, decided to go down the welding route.

Would recommend that next time the opportunity arises, remove your centre stand pivot pin, and clean and grease it with copper ease anti-seize grease.

Cheers!

Top Bottom